PDA

View Full Version : STI 2011

ArcLight
07-15-2010, 10:07 AM
I am going to be purchasing this (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=12448/Product/2011_SLIDE___FRAME_KIT) just wondering if anybody can help me out and reccomend a good gunsmith to finish it up for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

THanks.

bombadillo
07-15-2010, 10:22 AM
I don't know why but I feel like its just bastardizing the 1911 design by going polymer. Plastic and 1911 don't mix well with me. I would buy a semi-custom and upgrade it from there rather than spend 1500 or more on buying that and spending more money to finish all of the small parts plus the labor cost of a smith. Get something like a Dan Wesson PM-7, Springfield Loaded, or a decent base model and drop a few bills on it and it'll be a lot nicer pistol.

leelaw
07-15-2010, 10:38 AM
With the pre-fit slide/frame kits, the big ordeal of fitting the slide to the frame has already been completed. With some exceptions, the pistol is largely completed, and does not require much smithing (small bits on the beavertail, thumb safety, and barrel assy/bushing)

The polymer only covers the grip and not the structural components of the pistol, so for an increased capacity without affecting the integrity, the STI design is the way to go. I really like the Tactical I got my hands on the other year.

Where are you located?

guns_and_labs
07-15-2010, 12:08 PM
If you can figure out how to legally buy it in California, the field is wide open on who to build it - it's the setup du jour for USPSA.

Irvington Arms locally, Limcat in Reno, M2i/MacLearn in Arizona, Freedom Arms, Triangle/Benny Hill... the field is broad and deep.

Mstnpete
07-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Will O'hara in Corona, CA is very good.

IMC87
07-15-2010, 1:02 PM
http://jvdynamics.com/custom_guns/ in Corona. This guy lives on these style pistols

Jojo tis a great guy! But be careful once you see his workspace. I went to him do tune up some feeding issues on my STI pistol, and ended up getting a grip reduction/ stippling and his custom extended thumb rest as well. My pistol has run flawless since Jojo touched it.

Kiba
07-15-2010, 2:34 PM
I don't know why but I feel like its just bastardizing the 1911 design by going polymer. Plastic and 1911 don't mix well with me. I would buy a semi-custom and upgrade it from there rather than spend 1500 or more on buying that and spending more money to finish all of the small parts plus the labor cost of a smith. Get something like a Dan Wesson PM-7, Springfield Loaded, or a decent base model and drop a few bills on it and it'll be a lot nicer pistol.

You could always buy the very expensive stainless grip and keep your 2011 all-metal.

I'm in the opposite camp, about 3 years ago I sold my "traditional" 1911 to buy a 2011... and less than a month later I bought a second 2011. The modularity/customization options the removable grip provides is nice! I initially had some reservations about the durability of the 2 piece grip & frame design but it hasn't been a problem, the finished assembly is very solid.

As far as 'smith recommendations, there are several good ones mentioned. Might want to look over at Brian Enos's forums and see who people there are using there for 2011 builds. Any 'smith who can build a 1911 should have no issues building a 2011-- although it pays for the smith to have experience in tweaking 2011 mags. I've had Frank @ Irvington arms do some work on my limited gun (STI Edge in .40) and my open gun was done by Johnny Lim at Limcat customs.

Jojo's guns (JV Dynamics) are VERY nice as well. Lots of choices of 'smiths out there with good reputations in the USPSA circles for building a reliable 2011.

HighLander51
07-15-2010, 3:04 PM
Well, first of all, the STI (Strayer Tripp International) are not on the CA DOJ approved gun list, however a couple of SVI’s (Strayer Voigt, Inc) are approved. If you can figure out to get it into California, then Bob Hostetter or JoJo at Norco are the guys to build it. If you look up USPSA Open or Limited Gun, it will be an STI (or SVI).... Springfield's are fairly well represented in Single Stack and Limited 10.

cocorador
07-15-2010, 4:51 PM
If you can legally get what is in the link, I would send it over the John Lim and have him build you a limited pistol. I have 3 and more on the way. But for me, I've had my frames since the early 90's.

Good luck.

ArcLight
07-16-2010, 6:28 AM
THanks for all the suggestions i greatly appreciate it. I did not know that these guns were on the list though. I contacted Brownells and they stated to me they would ship to california??

guns_and_labs
07-16-2010, 8:24 AM
THanks for all the suggestions i greatly appreciate it. I did not know that these guns were on the list though. I contacted Brownells and they stated to me they would ship to california??

Brownells will ship to California, to an FFL, but the FFL wouldn't be able to process it.