PDA

View Full Version : Kahr PM40 experiences

RobG
07-14-2010, 6:38 PM
I was at River City Gun Exchange browsing some used pistols today and came across a used two tone PM40 for 525.00 (new they are 699.00) if I recall correctly. What are owners experiences with them? I read some years ago about some reliability issues but would like some current info. How about the price, good, bad, average?

Thanks

ty423
07-14-2010, 7:40 PM
I don't have a PM40 but have a P40. I think its just a more compact version of my gun. This gun is very light weight and thin. Single stack and polymer frame. My gun in the beginning needed break-in of I think 80rds+? The manually clearly says you need to break it in before real use. Anyways it did have some fte problem during break-in but after that it ate up everything I've put in it. This gun kicks hard...40 is a snappy round and with a light gun your hands take alot of the abuse. The gun is built pretty simple..even alot simpler than a glock. I really like the trigger pull of my gun...very smooth and not too heavy at all. I would think the PM40 would be the same but just smaller and lighter... good luck... The price seems around average for a used gun.

sholling
07-14-2010, 8:58 PM
I have one and like it a lot but know what you're getting into. It's not a fun pistol to shoot unless you have a masochistic streak or just have to prove to friends how manly you are. It's a 14oz pistol with a very short grip slamming into the palm of your hand - HARD!. 40S&W WWB FMJ is brutal enough that I limit myself to a single box at a time. I've also put a box of Ranger-T through it and it was not fun. Don't get me wrong it's very controllable and accurate. It just has serious recoil to go with it. The ultimate shoot seldom/carry often.

Kahr says that a PM40 needs a minimum 250rd break in to become reliable and I agree however mine still had to go back to the factory to have the feed ramp recut. Since then it's been totally reliable and a keeper. Just a note on service and support. The warranty is only one year and they mean it. For that reason I'd hesitate to buy used. Anything goes wrong and you're on your own. Second their customer service is very very New Jersey. Not bad if you know how to deal with them but service with a 'tude if you cop an attitude at your end.

Bottom line I ain't ever selling mine and have a beautiful holster being made in honor of McDonald. It's already my summer carry when I'm on vacation out of state and will be my summer carry here where we go shall-issue.

RobG
07-14-2010, 9:18 PM
The warranty is only one year and they mean it. For that reason I'd hesitate to buy used. Anything goes wrong and you're on your own. Second their customer service is very very New Jersey. Not bad if you know how to deal with them but service with a 'tude if you cop an attitude at your end.

Thanks for the info. That warranty is enough to put me off, especially not knowing the history of said pistol. I think I will stick to my original plan of a M&P compact.

Thanks

sholling
07-15-2010, 6:55 AM
Thanks for the info. That warranty is enough to put me off, especially not knowing the history of said pistol. I think I will stick to my original plan of a M&P compact.

Thanks
I have two M&P compacts and highly recommend them.

Bullwinkle
07-15-2010, 7:55 AM
That warranty is enough to put me off, especially not knowing the history of said pistol.
Wise decision. I didn't want to influence you, because I have no direct experience with said pistol, so I didn't reply originally. Now that you've made your decision, however...

I have a friend, a fellow CalGunner (so maybe he'll chime in sometime), who purchased a PM40 a couple years ago. Worst decision he ever made. Had to send it back to the factory three times, and spent a small fortune on defensive ammo for reliability/verification testing in the process. He might have gotten burned with shipping, too, though I'm not 100% sure of that. Ultimately, the factory swapped him a new K9 Elite to replace the PM40 for all the trouble he went through (and the fact that the PM40 still didn't work correctly!), and he has been extremely pleased with the K9 Elite since the exchange. [Side note: Kudos to Kahr for making it right!]

Kahr polymer pistols have a reputation for shakey reliability. The all steel ones are excellent (my MK40 has yet to hiccup), but those dang plastic ones are iffy.

paul0660
07-15-2010, 8:16 AM
but those dang plastic ones are iffy

I have to agree. Some work great, some are iffy and can require more than one trip back to get "fixed". The warranty is more than one year I think (3? 5?) but it only applies to the original owner. I wouldn't buy a used one without a lead pipe cinch return policy, but then I wouldn't buy a new one now either. The company expects way too much R&D from its customers.

Glocktalk has a good Kahr forum.

Also, when I was having issues in 2008 I found their CS to be very friendly and very fast....prepaid shipping with a Fedex account number, and back to me in less than a week. They get a lot of practice I think.

OldLincoln
07-18-2010, 11:29 AM
I suggest the best forum for Kahr guns is KahrTalk (http://kahrtalk.com/forum.php). Folks there have put thousands of rounds through their Kahrs and discussion of problems is very well tolerated with the attitude of "let's fix it", instead of it always being operator error.

paul0660
07-18-2010, 11:43 AM
And I thought Kahrtalk had bit the dust......I think they may have been offline for several days a few months ago. .......it is a very good forum. The fellow jocko there is definitely a Kahr fanboy but also realistic about the pistols. But like I said, a used one is a gamble.

sholling
07-18-2010, 1:06 PM
The warranty is more than one year I think (3? 5?) but it only applies to the original owner.
I stand corrected they have a 5 year warranty but only for the original purchaser.

aermotor
07-18-2010, 11:22 PM
If you truly want the most compact full size calibers on the market you can't beat Kahr. They do what they do very well.