PDA

View Full Version : 1911 & compensators

1911Operator
07-14-2010, 7:00 PM
Would a compensator like this actually do anything?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/boss_406/500px-GM45M1911A1-4.jpg

Honestly, they look cool but thats about it. I have seen others but IMO they look butt ugly. think this one looks the best.

Another compensator I have in mind is the permanent one. I can ship my slide and barrel to be ported, but is it really worth it? I have never shot a pistol with a compensator before. what do you guys think about it? The reason I am considering one is because I like to shot kind of quickly, I normally I warm up by shooting slowly (1 shot every 8-10 seconds) then after warming up, 1 shot every 1-2 seconds max. I can handle the recoil without a problem but would a compensator make a difference? Another question for that option is: Would this affect accuracy since there will be holes in the barrel, and wouldnt that mess up the compression? wouldnt it be like shooting out of a 3" barrel? I do shot at 25 yard targets and my accuracy is not bad. When I take my time I will have a 7-8" grouping with my own reloads.

My 1911: SA Operator (light weight)
Ammo: reloads or factory 230gr copper plated ,CMJ , or FMJ. I normally use a little less then the max load. average bullet speed is about 750-780fps.

JosephP
07-14-2010, 7:37 PM
1911 don't need compensator.. It is just good even It is GI or Mil-Spec. period. :)

Mute
07-14-2010, 7:48 PM
I would only use one in competition. Also, compensators tend to work better with higher pressure rounds like .38 supers and 9x23. On a low pressure round like the .45 acp, almost not worth it.

9mmepiphany
07-14-2010, 8:06 PM
a 1911 in .45ACP doesn't really have enough gas to make a compensator work...especially like the one pictured with such small ports. the driving force behind the over loading of the .38 Super, to make Major, was the increased pressure it generated to make the compensators really work...remember that the compensator worked through a combination of the venting gases and the expansion chambers trapping gases against the rear of their forward faces.

you really don't need a compensator to only shoot at a pace of one round every couple of seconds. they come into their own when you want to shoot faster than 5 shots per second. with some training, folks can regularly shoot at a pace of 4-5 shots/sec out of stock pistols...it's just a matter of seeing the sights and managing the trigger

Voo
07-14-2010, 8:10 PM
I would only use one in competition. Also, compensators tend to work better with higher pressure rounds like .38 supers and 9x23. On a low pressure round like the .45 acp, almost not worth it.

This..

The compensator is simply redirecting some of that gas to keep the muzzle from lifting as high. .45 acp is a low pressure/gas round compared to .38 super and the like.. The effects are likely to be minimal as you simply dont have that much gas to work with..

Honestly, if you're not going to race around and play in games like IPSC/USPSA, there's not a lot of practicality in having one installed..

1911whore
07-14-2010, 8:17 PM
They definately help to reduce percieved recoil but like previously said the benifits are maximized with hotter cartriges. GOOD comps are a totally different animal than the cheaper ones with small ports.

sleeper_15
07-14-2010, 8:54 PM
Where can I get a compensator that looks like that?

robcoe
07-14-2010, 9:07 PM

I would like to know this also.

TMC
07-14-2010, 9:30 PM
EGW is the only place I know that makes full profile comps. Clark Custom gun used to but I think they only have blanks now.

http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=57_131&products_id=110 From the drop down menu select Full Profile which adds $50 to the cost

Most of the benefit you'll feel when shooting 45 will come the added weight at the muzzle. If you think the gun looks cool, I say go for it. It's no different than plating, or custom grips or any other way folks customizing thier guns.

1911Operator
07-14-2010, 11:38 PM
I would like to know this also.

really easy to find! normally see them on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/1911-45acp-muzzle-brake-compensator-new-design-/230460656456?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35a8868b48#ht_526wt_1139

and they go for $46-$50 its not bad, and if it dsnt work just re-sale it.

eaglemike
07-14-2010, 11:55 PM
I'm kind of wondering how many in this thread have done testing....

A 1911 in .45ACP with a compensator can be quicker on follow up for the second shot. Some loads work a LOT better than other. A 185 or 155 SWC loaded to major velocity plus works very well. The difference between comp'd and non-comp'd was apparent even with 230 grain loads when I tested some.

Some compensators are heavier than other. The one shown isn't very light, but it is full profile. If the chamber start right after the slide, it will be lighter. These are more work to make in a full profile configuration.

Remember it's more of a pain to comp a 1911 these days to avoid a possible AW charge.

Port shape and size, chambers in the comp can also make a difference.

It costs a fair bit of time (and some money) to do testing. I used to make compensators, haven't for quite a while, so I have zero benefit to promote them.

Back before the .38 super took off, there were a lot of comp'd race guns in .45 acp. I don't think I'd recommend one for HD or social carry though. I did once build a commander (in .45ACP) with a comp to make it Gov't length. It was sweet.
all the best,
Mike

dstiltner
07-15-2010, 12:05 AM

You can get one from TJ's Custom Gunworks - http://www.tjscustomgunworks.com/. I bought one to replace the 2/3 profile compensator that came with my .460 Rowland conversion kit. Definitely need a compensator for this very high pressure round. It can get up to .44 Magnum territory with certain loadings.

As the other posters have said, a compensator on a .45 is not going to do much but it can sure make your gun look cool.

eaglemike
07-15-2010, 12:20 AM
All you that are saying it doesn't work - how much testing have you done? Before and after? Different port shapes? Different chamber shapes and lengths?Different loads?

I'd like to know if this is "conventional wisdom" or my test results are an anomaly.

Thanks!
all the best,
Mike

9mmepiphany
07-15-2010, 1:00 AM
i hope what i posted wasn't taken as "it doesn't work".

i does have an effect on the feel, but i'm thinking that difference has as much to do with the added weight and it's effect on the timing of the action as anything else. i was saying two separate things:

1. the compensator is more effective when used with cartridges producing more and higher pressure gases
2. you don't need one to be able to shoot at a rate of 1 shot every 2 seconds

mine opinion isn't based so much on "conventional wisdom", as it is on anecdotal evidence from a well regarded pistolsmith who worked on the development of the compensators for the Devel Gammon

JTROKS
07-15-2010, 7:29 AM
I said yes before looking at the picture. That type probably won't be as effective as one with multiple expansion chambers. One way to gauge if it does work is by doing bill drills and a timer is a must. If your splits are faster and hits are more centered in the A zone then it works.

CzuRXy_Kij8&feature

Mute
07-15-2010, 9:09 AM
I've tried compensators of all kinds from full out race guns to carry guns. On the .45 acp, while there was a difference, it didn't feel like anywhere enough that I would use it on anything but a competition gun where every advantage, no matter how small, makes a big difference.

j1133s
07-15-2010, 9:59 AM
The compensator in your pic will not work. You want something that's directly attached/built into your barrel.

Jeepers
07-15-2010, 10:12 AM
not sure about the ones in the pics, but ported "v10" type work great , and dont those add ons req the barrel to be threaded? then pined and welded to be cali legal? .. there is a tutorial floating around online for porting like a v10 .. just my personal opinion but i would have mine ported and slides cut...cleaner look and works as expected for recoil/flip,but does shoot a nasty "V" flame on indoor ranges

1911Operator
07-15-2010, 10:32 AM
not sure about the ones in the pics, but ported "v10" type work great , and dont those add ons req the barrel to be threaded? then pined and welded to be cali legal? .. there is a tutorial floating around online for porting like a v10 .. just my personal opinion but i would have mine ported and slides cut...cleaner look and works as expected for recoil/flip,but does shoot a nasty "V" flame on indoor ranges
the one in the pic is a direct slide on and slide off. its just like a barrel bushing but extended and it has ports on it. but I think your right on the ported barrel, might have to go that way if I do decide on getting a compensator.