PDA

View Full Version : Range review..BHP, CZ-SP-01, and Sig P226

kAnJii
07-14-2010, 5:55 PM
Went to the range monday with Ultraboy. Both of us brought our brand new pistols. I brought a brand new BHP Practical in 9mm, he brought a brand new CZ SP-01 in 9mm, and rented a P226. Brought 200 rounds of Federal American Eagles, 200 rounds of Magtech, and 50 rounds of PMC. First time shooting these pistols, shot both hand, right hand, and left hand..results...

BHP - Accurate and flawless. A lot of travel on the trigger but once at the breaking point, crisp to me like a 1911. Recoil was controllable and the gun felt frame heavy. No problems firing American Eagle or Magtech.

SP-01 - Accurate and flawless, softer trigger than the BHP and less travel. Love how the grip feels and the recoil was the lightest of the 3. The recoil was so nice that if felt as if the gun was being pushed back into my hand instead of a flip. Maybe due to the low slide.

P226 - Accurate and flawless when firing the AE or Magtech ammo, had a problem or 2 with the PMC. priner was hit on both bullets. Ejected them out and reinsert them back and it fired fine. Love the trigger, best of the bunch and felt a little top heavy.

Review:

Overall feel of these pistols...CZ, BHP, Sig. Rubber grips are awesome. Sig may come in first if it had rubber grips. Pachmyer grips were a tad thick but the short SA trigger made up for it.

Overall recoil control...CZ, BHP, Sig. CZ was so neutral that it felt so good. Sig was a tad top heavy, and BHP was a tad frame heavy...but no muzzle flip at all compared to a Glock.

Overall trigger: Sig all the way, I hope it is natural and not because the rental gun may have thousands of rounds through it. A distant second and third is CZ and BHP, hopefully it will smooth out after a few hundred more rounds through it.

Next gun for me....if price is not an object..P226, but will need a shortened trigger and rubber grips. If price is an object...SP-01.

BHP stands alone here. I have it and I am happy with it. :D

Someguy925
07-14-2010, 6:37 PM
New CZ's generally have pretty rough triggers until you break them in. They smooth out over a period of usage.

OneSevenDeuce
07-14-2010, 6:41 PM
Nice review. I really want a Sig. Everyone I know seems to like them.

Oldnoob
07-15-2010, 1:12 AM
I have all three (instead of SP01, I got the SA model). And my preference will be BHP, 226, then CZ.

You really should try the CZ 75B SA model. I tried all the CZs (except pre B) and found that SA has most desirable trigger for me. SP01 had a great idea of adding more weight on the front, but for 9mm, I really didn't think was necessary.

uhmeebuh
07-15-2010, 9:49 AM
I went with an all stainless P226 due to the extra weight and help softening the recoil. I really like the CZs but think the Sig is a bit better finished and has a few nicer touches. And it better for the price difference compared to a CZ75!

jyo
07-15-2010, 7:03 PM
Sigs and CZs are fine pistols,but you can't go wrong with a Hi-Power! My latest pistol is a FN marked P35 in 9mm (matte finish, MK111) with the factory installed SFS system---great shooter, runs 100% and shoots right to point of aim---what more can you ask? A very good place to start a collection.

beemaze
07-15-2010, 11:25 PM
Remove the lousy magazine safety on your BHP and the trigger will improve significantly. I have had it removed on most of mine.

For the P226, Sig offers a short reset trigger. Send it in to Sig! The short reset will aid you in fast follow up shots. Downside is that it is not cheap. I have had it done only to two of my Sigs..

tonelar
07-15-2010, 11:39 PM
Was the rental a current model 226 (with the milled, stainless slide)? Cause you should consider trying out an old German Sig P226.

Great range report, by the way.

kAnJii
07-15-2010, 11:53 PM
Thanks. Did my best to explain my feel about each pistol. I may look into a SA 1911 Loaded Combat in blk SS, I think its in the P226 price range if I add a SRT on it.

Munk
07-16-2010, 1:20 AM
Good review.

I might hunt down a Sig for myself sometime in the future (cashflow, lol).

limitdown
07-16-2010, 2:08 AM
I recently tried the Sig P220 .45, P226 9mm, P229 9mm and 1911. All were awesome.
The Sig 1911 was the biggest positive surprise. Super smooth trigger.
If money was not an issue, I would get them all, in a combination of 9mm, 40SW(maybe) and 45.
For now, I will be picking up a P226 in the next few wks