View Full Version : HK USP owners - get in here...opinions please

07-14-2010, 4:50 PM
Hey there, First post here.

Well, long story short...I have been target shooting for the better part of 20 years. My dad taught me from a young age, and I greatly enjoying it as a hobby. I own a couple of my own firearms, and have been looking into my third.

I want a USP. Actually...I want the USP expert model. However, I was wondering if any USP owners could chime in and tell me about their experiences with this particular firearm.

I have held the expert, and got to dry-fire it with a snap cap...and am in love with how it feels...but was curious on out of the box accuracy, reliability. And....if anyone knows where I can find one!

I contacted bain and davis, and they said their vendors have 0 in stock :(

07-14-2010, 5:03 PM
Its an awesome gun. Which is why I just bought one and am picking it up on Tues. My impressions from the one that I rented at the range were:

-Very accurate.
-Very good feel (I have big hands, so it fits my hand very well).
-I like the HK style mag release as opposed to traditional button style releases.
-The gun feels very balanced, so even though I was shooting .40 S&W (A very snappy round), the recoil was not bad.

You may have to look all over the place to find one in stock (I had to drive 40 miles for mine), but it is worth it IMHO.

07-14-2010, 5:08 PM
where did you happen to get yours? im in southern cali (los angeles)

07-14-2010, 5:10 PM
I recently bought the HK USP 45 full size. It is my third .45 and my favorite, even over my Kimber.

07-14-2010, 5:14 PM
where did you happen to get yours? im in southern cali (los angeles)

I'm in Sacramento. It would be a bit of a drive for you. :rolleyes: And besides, I snagged the only one they had. :43:

07-14-2010, 5:16 PM
I loved my USP 45 full size. Bought a glock 21 and now it just sits in the safe.

Great gun and ill never sell it.

07-14-2010, 5:20 PM
I loved my USP 45 full size. Bought a glock 21 and now it just sits in the safe.

Great gun and ill never sell it.

Im kinda getting this about the piece...just about ANY thing I have seen is "Love my usp" period.

Man...I want one...I think I can get the USP, but I want the expert model, and THAT is proving tough to locate.

07-14-2010, 5:21 PM
I have a full size USP 40 and I will be honest....I just dont love it, at first I loved it but when I calmed down a little bit:o I came to find out I feel its a little top heavy, the recoil is out of control, and its pretty big and bulky. The better choice for me I think would have been a glock 22 or even a XD 40:eek:. Now the wonderful things about are its HK, it goes bang everytime( I havent had a malfunction ever in about 2500-3000 rounds), and I also like the DA option as well as the ability to carry cocked and locked like a 1911.

07-14-2010, 5:27 PM
I own a G22 and a springfield 1911 loaded. I just dont love my glock :\ I WANT to...but the trigger is just proving odd for me at this point. I NEED to shoot it more, I just dont feel confident with it. My 1911 is a tackdriver...that glock...I just cant handle it well.

I know not about the USPs recoil, but I love the way it felt.

07-14-2010, 6:01 PM
Nice 1911>USP45>G21

i love my 1911 and it has never failed me- it is the most accrit (and heavy) pistol i own....
i love my usp45. it has good accricy, feels comfy in the hand, and makes me feel like an "operator"
i love my G21 even though it's not as accrit as the 1911 or USP45, but it's lighter than the other two and it has never failed me.
IF SHTF- i'd reach for the Glock first...

07-14-2010, 6:26 PM
I have an hk usp 9mm. It big and heavy, but totally reliable and decent accuracy. Its never jammed no matter what ammo i put in it. Ive had it since 94 and it has some wear on the finish but ive never seen a spec of rust on it and I dont exactly baby it lol

07-14-2010, 6:29 PM
I have HK USPc and I love it. Never jammed on me or anything like that...only thing is I would highly recommend getting the LEM trigger...makes a world of difference.

07-14-2010, 6:36 PM
can you clarify on the LEM trigger? What is it exactly and why does it make a world of difference?

07-14-2010, 7:12 PM
One of the best attributes to the Expert is the awesome SA pull from it's Match Trigger, why would he want to put an LEM trigger on it?

07-14-2010, 7:17 PM
I have had mine for 8 years or so. Full size 45. I love it, fits well in hand, shoots true, and I cant remember a jam...EVER! Have shot everything kind of round +P rounds, you name it. Best $863 dollars I have ever spent.

07-14-2010, 7:23 PM
I have owned a USP 45 Tactical for over 10 years and I carry a USP40C every day. The USP is a well engineered gun and a fine example of Teutonic Engineering. They are great $1000 guns that will do everything a $500 Glock or Smith M&P will.

07-14-2010, 7:27 PM
can you clarify on the LEM trigger? What is it exactly and why does it make a world of difference?

The LEM trigger is basically a Double Action Only pistol that "pre-cocks" the action so that you have a shorter take up and a much shorter reset. It allows a double action system to shoot like a striker fired auto. All in all it is a good system, but then again you are spending $500 more than you need to.

07-14-2010, 7:34 PM
Show me a Glock in .45ACP that's more accurate than a USP Expert.

07-14-2010, 7:37 PM
I have a Compact in .45 and I love it. It's super reliable, feels great and feeds anything.

I would not hesitate to buy another USP.

07-14-2010, 7:42 PM
Love my USP .45's. Have a full size and an Expert. Bought the full size the first year it came out in 1995, and it still looks as good as new and shoots perfectly after 15 years. The Expert is a little heavier in front, but it shoots like a dream.

Posted pics of both of them in the H&K thread:
USP 45 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=3020239&postcount=171)
USP 45 Expert (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=3764004&postcount=208)

Good luck with your search.

07-14-2010, 8:05 PM
if your coming to santa clara county, pm me. you can try out mine and judge for yourself if you want one.

07-14-2010, 8:08 PM
love my USP9. grip is on the large size if you have small hands.

07-15-2010, 7:10 AM
hey, i got a USP 9mm and i love this gun. it shoots better than i can shoot it. i primarily use this gun in action pistol and steel challenge matches. it's a little bit big for my hand and trigger doesn't break the cleanest, but it is quite accurate and has very similar 1911 style features. great gun.

07-15-2010, 7:26 AM
I've owned two different .45 USPs, and loved both. The one with the night sights I liked more, but even the standard sights are fine.

Damn good pistol. Never a problem, only one fail to feed (and that was only because the bullet was pushed into the case) and it handled everything I ever threw at is.

07-15-2010, 8:46 AM
I have two .40 USP's in full size and Expert.

It took about 9 months to get my Custom Bullhide leather holster for the Expert.

Accuracy is only dependent on me and my reloads.

I'm really partial to decockers so that's one of the major reasons I bought HK.

07-15-2010, 9:04 AM
i bought a USP9 back in 2007 and i love it. i don't take it out as much as i should, but the gun just feels right. so right, that about 6 months later i bought a USP9c.

if i had to pick between the two, i would almost pick the 9c only because the standard 9 can feel a little front heavy. not enough to not recommend it, but does feel similar to my 92FS. it's all about handling i guess.

i will say that i'm not genuinely fond of the mag release. i prefer a button to a lever any day.

07-15-2010, 9:29 AM
I have the USP fullsize .45. Mine came with the DA/SA trigger which was fine until I got my P2000sk with the 4.5# LEM trigger. Once I figured out the LEM, I sent my USP to HK in GA to convert it to the same trigger. I think HK said there was something like a match LEM trigger but I declined to spend the extra ($100) for that. I'm very happy with both my HKs and think that the LEM trigger system is perfect for "combat" shooting (as opposed to pure target shooting.)

Reliability on the P2000 and USP have been 100%. The only issue that I've run into on my USP (slide not staying back on last round) was resolved by going to the +10% Wolff magazine springs. And extra HK-brand magazines cost me typically about $24 for the dozen or so in my range bag. Very reasonable pricing.

07-15-2010, 10:18 AM
USP 45 fullsize variant 1. Accurate, powerful, reliable, and has never given me any problems. It is my go to handgun and I trust my life to it. Sure, the trigger could use some work if it were for target shooting, but for defensive use, this pistol series rocks:punk:

07-15-2010, 10:41 AM
I own a USP-t. trigger is good, but not 1911 good, i like how i can carry cocked and locked. Grips are huge but it's actually pretty comfortable to shoot. Plus, it's accurate as hell. I have not noticed a great difference in muzzle flip, despite the high bore axis. Still waiting on my suppressor to get here though...

07-15-2010, 1:05 PM
I have a USP 45 full size with a couple thousand rounds down the tube. No FTF or FTE, has ran perfectly since I got it. Let's put it this way, there is no doubt that the pistol is more accurate than I am. Highly recommend it.

07-15-2010, 1:11 PM
I have had a USP 40 for a number of years. It shoots fine. It does not give me that weird feeling I get when shooting Glocks - the feeling of weight shifting in your hand cuz the slide is moving back and forth over the frame's light weight.

Still prefer my 1911 Gold Cup over any other pistol I have.

07-15-2010, 2:46 PM
Bedside gun for 10+ years now. Have lots of choices, but this is my goto gun.

Sam .223
07-15-2010, 3:15 PM
i just took out my USP 40 on Sunday, in my opinion its a great gun, it shoots better than my glock and the recoil feels more controled, thats my opinion.

07-15-2010, 3:20 PM
I've got a USP45F and its a solid gun, very reliable, very accurate.

The only thing I don't like is the CA compliant 10RD magazine which has a tendency to break its floorplate on fast reloads.

07-15-2010, 4:44 PM
I have the .45 Expert and it's a very accurate gun. It's a bit of a monster, but you get use to it.

07-15-2010, 6:10 PM

Here you go...

http://www.outdoors.net/site/features/feature.aspx+Forum+Firearms+ArticleCode+901+Search Term+

When I first got the pistol...I'll admit, I hated it. The trigger pull was grainy and sucked compared to my Glock. I wasn't very accurate with it at all.

Another CalGunner was selling the LEM kit so I bought it and sent it to HK. Now I love the pistol and I sold the Glock. Trigger pull is MUCH better now and my accuracy is a lot better. I think it's similar to the SIG SRT trigger...but I'm not sure.

07-15-2010, 11:55 PM
I use my USP 45 Fullsize as my duty weapon out in the field as well as off duty. Won't go with anything else. That should say a lot.

07-16-2010, 12:11 AM
I love my .45 USPc the smoothest ride of my four handguns. I like the balance, the feel, the only thing I don't care for is the 8rd mags... I am a beginner shooter though.

07-16-2010, 7:03 AM
Another CalGunner was selling the LEM kit so I bought it and sent it to HK. Now I love the pistol and I sold the Glock. Trigger pull is MUCH better now and my accuracy is a lot better. I think it's similar to the SIG SRT trigger...but I'm not sure.

It is actually similar to the Sig DAK (Double Action Kellerman) trigger. I like the LEM better than the DAK, it has a much shorter reset and feels more like a single action than the DAK.

07-16-2010, 7:31 AM
You must get down to the range somewhere and rent one, or go shooting with a buddy. It's impossible to fully appreciate whether or not a gun is for you just by dry firing it... though it's a fair ergo and trigger check.

The first time I tried a full size USP in .40, I thought I was shooting a 9mm. Like other light weight polymer framed guns... if you get on top of it, the accuracy is really high, comparable to my Sig P226 go-to-gun.
I had to have one, and picked up a great-condition used one here for $600, and I've put about 3000 rounds through it already.
Ergonomically, it's got to be the most comfortable gun I've every shot... I can shoot all day without getting tired. Never had a jam either.

On the downside, there are a few nits that I pick about my USP.

1. The mag release is unlike every singe other gun I own or have ever fired. I still catch myself trying to "press" it.
2. On my version 3, the Single Action trigger is decent, but the Double Action trigger is too heavy for my tastes. I just need to take it in and get it tuned.

Just my $.02, YMMV. Get down to the range and put a few boxes through one and decide for yourself rather than sift through the hard core fanboys here. ;)