PDA

View Full Version : Ladies, before you buy your first handgun...

missiondude
07-14-2010, 3:21 PM
Ok, this advice applies to men as well, but we tend not to listed. If you are going to choose your first handgun and you are buying for home potection, please find someone you know that shoots to take you to a range that rents lots of styles and calibers and try as many as you can before you buy. After you purchase, please take a safety and marksmanship class.

My wife and I recently coached new shooters at a NRA Women on Target event in San Diego, and my second shooter of the day really brought home the importance of finding a gun that works for you. She brought a brand new S&W Airweight (I think) snub revolver in 357 magnum to learn to shoot it. She did fine with my Ruger 22/45 which we require shooters to fire first before moving up to larger calibers. When it came time to shoot the revo, she was all over the place, and missed the target half the time at 3 yards. Turns out, she could hardly press the trigger, as I estimate it was around 12 to 15 lbs. She said a relative told her to get this particular gun as it is totally reliable and simple. It may well be, but she had no problem shooting my wifes M&P 9 FS. She left the clinic with my advice to go to a range and shoot as many different guns as possible before picking out her second gun.

bruceflinch
07-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Good advice!
Kinda like finding Mr Right! :D

OHOD
07-15-2010, 8:23 PM
Good advice!

When I sat on my MC the first time, I knew we could ride long and hard together. All day long.

Good advice poster.

What if the potential buyer knows nobody?

missiondude
07-17-2010, 5:46 PM
When I sat on my MC the first time, I knew we could ride long and hard together. All day long.

Good advice poster.

What if the potential buyer knows nobody?

Well, I suspect any potential buyer that reads this post can ask for assistance here and get tons of offers to go shooting. The revolver she had was such a poor fit for her, that the RSO at our range was angry that the gun store sold it to her. I told him that she went in and asked for that specific gun. Cant fault a gun shop too much for providing exactly what the buyer asks for.

IrishPirate
07-17-2010, 5:48 PM
good advice.....hopefully some gun noobs see this as you're right, it's often overlooked when buying handguns. Another idea is to make friends with people who own lots of guns so that you don't have to pay rental fees!!!!!!

post 2,500......Veteran Member...WAHOO!!!!!!!!

j411701
07-17-2010, 7:17 PM
Good Advice, our WOT event in Ojai is July 31st and is all ready booked. We also start them out with a 22 then if they want we have bigger calibers for them to shoot.

six10
07-17-2010, 11:26 PM
Yep, good advice. Goes right along with, "Guys, please don't pick out a gun for your wife/gf." Let her find the one that feels right to her. Earn bonus points -offer to take her shopping!

missiondude
07-18-2010, 7:47 AM
Good Advice, our WOT event in Ojai is July 31st and is all ready booked. We also start them out with a 22 then if they want we have bigger calibers for them to shoot.

Our October is sold out, and Feb 2011 has only 4 spots remaining out of 30. We could easily run 6 a year, but our range does not have enough open weekend days.

Steyrlp10
07-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Good advice!

Yeah, plenty of test drives and maybe kicking a tire or two :D

lumwilliam
07-19-2010, 1:06 PM
I was thinking of sending my wife to the Feb Women on Target, but my fear is that instead of finding her "perfect" gun, she'll end up finding 3 or 4 or 6 "perfect" guns. I finally got her to stop buying purses...the last thing I need is for her to be spending more money on guns than me! Better I keep her happy just tagging along with me, shooting my stuff.

8bitnintendo
07-19-2010, 1:09 PM
Yeah, plenty of test drives and maybe kicking a tire or two :D
However, most of my friends are much more willing to let me borrow and test out their guns than their significant others... ;)

missiondude
07-20-2010, 6:43 PM
I was thinking of sending my wife to the Feb Women on Target, but my fear is that instead of finding her "perfect" gun, she'll end up finding 3 or 4 or 6 "perfect" guns. I finally got her to stop buying purses...the last thing I need is for her to be spending more money on guns than me! Better I keep her happy just tagging along with me, shooting my stuff.

Wish mine would buy more, although I do like the two she bought so far...:D

masameet
07-20-2010, 8:13 PM

Ha!

Just have her do all the ammo buying/reloading and she'll figure out which caliber handguns/rifles to buy/keep.

Steyrlp10
07-21-2010, 5:28 AM

You can always try the reverse angle if she suddenly goes through a buying spree with guns -- ask her if YOU can try all the new toys she brought home. Slowly, start adopting the ones you really like.

Worked for me :)

Steyrlp10
07-21-2010, 5:30 AM
However, most of my friends are much more willing to let me borrow and test out their guns than their significant others... ;)

Isn't that funny how it works?