PDA

View Full Version : Sending lower to get engraved question

tpliquid1
04-15-2006, 10:28 AM
I found someone who can egrave my lower, now the question is can i ship the lower to the guy and have the guy ship it back to me, or do i have to have dealer ship it out and receive it.

C.G.
04-15-2006, 10:36 AM
I found someone who can egrave my lower, now the question is can i ship the lower to the guy and have the guy ship it back to me, or do i have to have dealer ship it out and receive it.

If you DROSed the lower already and I assume it is a long gun receiver, you can send it and have it returned to the address from which you shipped it without having to go through an FFL.

tpliquid1
04-15-2006, 10:44 AM
ahh sounds good, thanx!

bwiese
04-15-2006, 11:32 AM
First thing, the recipient must have an FFL. If he's just a machine shop/metal coating shop, that doesn't cut it (unless you hand carried it to him, and stood by him while he was doing the work, and didn't leave it there overnight).

Also, I'd hold off on this. What's the rush?

If these get declared as AWs during the time they're out of state being refinished, you may be in kind of a grey area regarding importation.

C.G.
04-15-2006, 12:17 PM
First thing, the recipient must have an FFL. If he's just a machine shop/metal coating shop, that doesn't cut it (unless you hand carried it to him, and stood by him while he was doing the work, and didn't leave it there overnight).

Good thing you clarified, thanks. I was assuming it was a gunsmith with an FFL and I shouldn't have.

PIRATE14
04-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Good thing you clarified, thanks. I was assuming it was a gunsmith with an FFL and I shouldn't have.

HHHMMM....I am pretty sure u can send it to gunsmith w/o a FFL as long as it's your firearm.....I'll have to check on that.

There is a major push at the ATF to get gunsmiths under the manufacting License....

-hanko
04-15-2006, 3:57 PM
HHHMMM....I am pretty sure u can send it to gunsmith w/o a FFL as long as it's your firearm.....I'll have to check on that.

Wrong answer:D

You can LEGALLY send a weapon that needs work to someone else who has a license, common examples are manufacturers and gunsmiths. I wouldn't define an unlicensed guy who happens to work on guns as a 'gunsmith. I'll restate that it's illegal to send a gun to an unlicensed person. If your engraver is not licensed, you'll need to show up with the receiver, have it engraved while you wait, and leave with it the same day.

Google 'Tom Sawyer' and engraving, he is licensed & does what you want.

-hanko

dwtt
04-15-2006, 4:28 PM
Wrong answer:D

Google 'Tom Sawyer' and engraving, he is licensed & does what you want.

-hanko
Do you think he can put a picture of Hello Kitty on a lower for my daughter? I passed on the idea of pink duracoat, though.

Pablo
04-15-2006, 11:51 PM

Tom Sawyer manufacturing or SA maybe? Can you share the details i.e. type of engraving, quotation?

EBWhite
04-15-2006, 11:56 PM
I would not worry about that law of sending only to a licensed guy. You want work done, if its legit then you should not worry. Nothing will happen, nobody will get in trouble. I have spoke with Tom Sawyer guy, he is awsome, good prices and a nice nice guy. I wish i would have had him do my engraving instead of letting the late fools at superior do it. They are on my **** list right now. They refused to ship it to me in the white and let me send it back to coat it since its too much trouble for them- well they forgot my trouble of having to redros....Last time i shop with them.

shin_en
04-16-2006, 12:31 AM
Do you think he can put a picture of Hello Kitty on a lower for my daughter? I passed on the idea of pink duracoat, though.

LOL, you should get an AK receiver instead and have the Kalashnikitty engraved on it for her :D

http://tinypic.com/dzk0oh.jpg

Pablo
04-16-2006, 1:37 AM
I would not worry about that law of sending only to a licensed guy. You want work done, if its legit then you should not worry. Nothing will happen, nobody will get in trouble. I have spoke with Tom Sawyer guy, he is awsome, good prices and a nice nice guy. I wish i would have had him do my engraving instead of letting the late fools at superior do it. They are on my **** list right now. They refused to ship it to me in the white and let me send it back to coat it since its too much trouble for them- well they forgot my trouble of having to redros....Last time i shop with them.

Thanks for the info EB I was thinking about using SA services. So it's safe to assume that TSM knows what's is going on here in CA, right?

bwiese
04-16-2006, 11:23 AM

EBWhite ...

Will you PLEASE stop passing out WRONG info?

Over the last few months I've seen numerous incorrect posts of yours, often of the overall theme: "well it may be illegal but I don't know/I don't care, and you shouldn't either because they're probably not busting for that".

You're young & dumb, and you may not care about their jail time, but they certainly will.

If you're sending a firearm (or lower) to someone, esp across state lines, IT HAS TO GO TO AN FFL. Period. Otherwise this could easily be regarded as an illegal interstate firearms transfer without intermediating FFL (i.e. giving your buddy in NV your old gun). Whether the target is a 'gunsmith' or not is moot, he has to have an FFL to accept interstate shipments.

bwiese
04-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the info EB I was thinking about using SA services. So it's safe to assume that TSM knows what's is going on here in CA, right?

It's irrelevant about TSM vs. CA. As long as it's off list, and TSM has an FFL, you are OK. Keep the BATF happy first in this case.

The only shakiness happens if they took too long to do the work and the lower(s) in question were named as AWs while still out of state - I am not sure if re-entry into CA would be considered "importing" (even though it was yours) because the law is a bit unclear on that, loosely defined. [Once registered, you can bring it in & out of CA yourself, or ship it in/out of CA via a CA FFL dealer with an AW permit.]

Mike Searson
04-16-2006, 1:05 PM
Tom Sawyer Mfg is a federally licensed 07 manufacturer.

Steve can make title one firearms(regular old guns, even what you guys perceive to be deadly assault weapons), machine guns, sbr's, suppressors, etc.

His engraving is top notch...best I've seen out there.

He's doing one for me right now with my name as the serial number, USMC Eagle, Globe and Anchor engraving, and the third selector position marked "Banned".

DV8
04-16-2006, 1:23 PM
EBWhite ...

Will you PLEASE stop passing out WRONG info?

Over the last few months I've seen numerous incorrect posts of yours, often of the overall theme: "well it may be illegal but I don't know/I don't care, and you shouldn't either because they're probably not busting for that".

You're young & dumb, and you may not care about their jail time, but they certainly will.

If you're sending a firearm (or lower) to someone, esp across state lines, IT HAS TO GO TO AN FFL. Period. Otherwise this could easily be regarded as an illegal interstate firearms transfer without intermediating FFL (i.e. giving your buddy in NV your old gun). Whether the target is a 'gunsmith' or not is moot, he has to have an FFL to accept interstate shipments.

+1 on EBwhite. I'm starting to believe hes with the Brady bunch or some other antigun group....:rolleyes:

tpliquid1
04-16-2006, 4:37 PM