PDA

View Full Version : U.S. citizen caught at border with machine guns

n2k
07-14-2010, 1:59 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jul/13/us-citizen-caught-at-border-with-machine-guns

Can anyone identify what type?

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt297/n2kphotos/guninengine_t593.jpg

More info:

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers performing southbound inspections at the Andrade border crossing Saturday stopped a driver with two machine guns strapped to the engine of his pickup truck.

The stop occurred at about 10:30 a.m. Saturday as CBP officers were inspecting vehicles heading southbound into Mexico. A pickup driven by a 20-year old man from El Mirage , Arizona , a U.S. citizen , was referred to secondary inspection. When CBP officers popped the hood they discovered two machine guns and two ammunition containers strapped to the engine. Looking further , officers also discovered ammunition hidden in the spare tire. Officers seized an MG-42, 7.92mm caliber machine gun and an SA43, 7.62X54R mm caliber machine gun plus 680 rounds of ammunition and machine gun ammunition links to make an automated belt for the machine gun ammunition.The man was turned over to the Immigration and Customs Enforcement's Border Enforcement Security Task Force

PolishMike
07-14-2010, 2:01 PM
MG42
http://www.mg-42.net/images/MG42/mg42_1.jpg

n2k
07-14-2010, 2:03 PM
Nice, I want one....

norcal.xd
07-14-2010, 2:12 PM
mg42...........why would you risk something like that if you knew u couldnt play it off......

Cali-Shooter
07-14-2010, 2:17 PM
This looks like it can get REALLY F'ING ugly. That person with this incident just made the rest of us law-abiding gun owners look like potential weapons smugglers to Mexican Cartels. We have to find out more about this case somehow...

BigDogatPlay
07-14-2010, 2:23 PM
The gun in the OP photo is the MG-42 for sure. 900 to 1500 rounds per minute, depending on how it's set up.

I wonder whose collection that bad boy was stolen from.

Silverlake223
07-14-2010, 2:23 PM
The famous German MG-42 developed in 1942?

dwa
07-14-2010, 2:27 PM
was it verified as a genuine mg 42 or a semi auto clone...

patriot_man
07-14-2010, 2:30 PM
Wow..

n2k
07-14-2010, 2:56 PM
http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt297/n2kphotos/MG42.jpg

rromeo
07-14-2010, 3:02 PM
AK 47
With military grade ammo.

bjl333
07-14-2010, 3:07 PM
Again a case of "poor gun" ... Probably end up in a grinder or a band saw !!!

Super Spy
07-14-2010, 3:09 PM
That could easily be an M-53 (Yugo copy of MG-42) or an MG-42 in semi-auto form as they are readily available and only a couple grand.

dizzy
07-14-2010, 3:11 PM
wow, IF that is a registered MG42, it may be worth at least $30k
see http://machinegunpriceguide.com/html/beltfed.html

ETA: or M53 semi
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/rifle-m53.aspx

HotRails
07-14-2010, 3:16 PM
That could easily be an M-53 (Yugo copy of MG-42) or an MG-42 in semi-auto form as they are readily available and only a couple grand.

Thats what I'm thinking. Probably an semi M53 illegaly converted, assuming the article's statement about "machine gun" is accurate.

timdps
07-14-2010, 5:13 PM
The "MG42" is a semi-auto version of the Yugoslavian M53 machine gun made by Wise Lite Arms in Texas (left grip modification is one givaway). The semi-automatic conversion has been approved by the BATFE and you would think that their own agents are capable of figuring this out.

The SA43 is a BATFE approved, semi-auto version of the Russian (or in this particular case, Polish) machine gun. Again, BATFE's own agents should be able to figure this out.

Both of these guns are perfectly legal for any non-felon to own in at least 43 states. I live in California and legally own an SA43 and a California modified M53.

Can't imagine what the guy planned to do with them. Sell semi-automatic "machine guns" to the cartels. They would laugh at him and then kill him...

He has been reading too many silly newspaper stories about machine guns being smuggled into Mexico from the US.

tim

winnre
07-14-2010, 5:31 PM
If he buried it better and did not use zip ties it may be thought of as part of the engine. Or put it up underneath! What an amateur! I'd like to know what got them to tag him for a secondary.

aaronraby1
07-14-2010, 5:45 PM
is it just me or does it look like it is ziptied to a pair of handles for another weapon?

winnre
07-14-2010, 5:53 PM
I think that's a bipod.

timdps
07-14-2010, 5:56 PM
Another article with two photos:
http://www.yumasun.com/articles/machine-62366-ammunition-cbp.html?plckOnPage=2#

Caiden07
07-14-2010, 6:16 PM
That was a bold move, not one but two long semi-auto machine guns.

craneman
07-14-2010, 6:19 PM
Whole thing sound fishy. Maybe a propoganda stunt in the shadow of McDonald in a stupid attempt to sway some public opinion. Could have been set up by anybody. But zip tie it to the top of the engine? Really?.........:rolleyes: Who is so stupid to try to smuggle anything that is illegal either direction at the border and be THAT lame about it? I dunno.

timdps
07-14-2010, 6:29 PM
is it just me or does it look like it is ziptied to a pair of handles for another weapon?

In this photo: http://www.yumasun.com/sections/article/gallery/?pic=1&id=62366

The front of the M53 is zip tied to the spade grips of the SA43. Bipod is tied to the center of the M53.

Also noticed that the two ammo cans are the ones that come with the SA43 and M53.
Firing the SA43 is going to be a problem without the wheeled mount that normally comes with it.

tim

kel-tec-innovations
07-14-2010, 6:36 PM
Sorry Sir I have no idea what your talking about, thats my fuel rail sir and thats my air box with copper filter. hahahaha I wonder how the inspector face looked like when they found the machine guns.

aaronraby1
07-14-2010, 6:40 PM
In this photo: http://www.yumasun.com/sections/article/gallery/?pic=1&id=62366

The front of the M53 is zip tied to the spade grips of the SA43. Bipod is tied to the center of the M53.

Also noticed that the two ammo cans are the ones that come with the SA43 and M53.
Firing the SA43 is going to be a problem without the wheeled mount that normally comes with it.

tim

familiar with the weapon?

timdps
07-14-2010, 6:51 PM
familiar with the weapon?

Weapons...:43:

professorhard
07-14-2010, 7:04 PM
Idiot

skscj
07-14-2010, 7:09 PM
straight to jail, do not pass go

mif_slim
07-14-2010, 7:24 PM
Turn out that it's a airsoft. Lol.

Rob454
07-14-2010, 7:40 PM
Looks like a German WWII machine gun. I dont know what it is but the barrel shroud reminds me of one I saw on a gun tv show. Supposedly they have a quick change barrel.
Some weird lever pops out and releases the old barrel and you just slide another one in drop that lever and go back to shooting. very innovative for its time

RTE
07-14-2010, 7:49 PM
Checking my Dodge truck for those options now :D

Nope the dealer held off those optionsoff on my model.
Mine just has a fuel saving gimmick canister Zip tied to the fenderwell.

Plenty of room under the hood for bolt ons in them Dodges.

Courious to see if the truck was registered to the driver and where the arms came from.

I too would like to hear the rest of the story.

easy
07-14-2010, 7:52 PM
semi-auto machine guns

No such thing. Select fire, yes. Semi auto, no.

timdps
07-14-2010, 7:56 PM
Looks like a German WWII machine gun. I dont know what it is but the barrel shroud reminds me of one I saw on a gun tv show. Supposedly they have a quick change barrel.
Some weird lever pops out and releases the old barrel and you just slide another one in drop that lever and go back to shooting. very innovative for its time

The Yugoslavian M53 is a direct copy of the German WWII MG42 including the quick change barrel. The only changes are the lack of an AA sight mount and the rear buffer is slightly different. Many WWII parts will interchange with it

The issue here is that this semi-auto rifle only looks like a machine gun and BATFE agents should know this. Unless someone went to the trouble to reverse the BATFE approved semi-auto mods (LOTS of work), its still a 40+ state legal (belt-fed) semi-auto rifle.

Will be very interesting to see what they actually charge him with. Without the machine gun charges, what would the crime be? Exporting firearms and ammo without a license?

Tim

joedogboy
07-14-2010, 8:40 PM
So this unnamed 20 year old "American citizen" (why no name given - he's not a minor) is stopped and searched by US Customs when leaving the US and is found to have two firearms that are each probably worth more than the truck he's driving. Sounds fishy.

Are the guns stolen? Licensed? To him? A family member? Are they actual MGs? Are they semi autos? Are they Airsoft? Are they demilled or replicas?
What is his name? Does he have family or connections in Mexico? Does he have a criminal record? Gang affiliations?

Is this an actual border crossing point, or is it one of those "border" inspection stations that is on an American interstate?

I think that some reporters need to start digging for facts, and doing some actual reporting.

Caiden07
07-14-2010, 9:55 PM
No such thing. Select fire, yes. Semi auto, no.

Ok revise semi-auto machine gun looks...

audihenry
07-14-2010, 11:16 PM
So this unnamed 20 year old "American citizen" (why no name given - he's not a minor) is stopped and searched by US Customs when leaving the US and is found to have two firearms that are each probably worth more than the truck he's driving. Sounds fishy.

Are the guns stolen? Licensed? To him? A family member? Are they actual MGs? Are they semi autos? Are they Airsoft? Are they demilled or replicas?
What is his name? Does he have family or connections in Mexico? Does he have a criminal record? Gang affiliations?

Is this an actual border crossing point, or is it one of those "border" inspection stations that is on an American interstate?

I think that some reporters need to start digging for facts, and doing some actual reporting.

The price hardly matters if it's stolen. Any idiot doing something like this will not have that much money sunk into it.

Sounds to me like a mentally unstable vigilante trying to take his idea of the law in his hands.

SLYoteBoy
07-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Possible MG-3.

510dat
07-15-2010, 12:53 AM
Will be very interesting to see what they actually charge him with.

If you look closely, you can see that it has The Shoulder Thing That Goes Up, which pretty much automatically makes it an AK 47, and everybody knows those are the most dangerous assault weapons in the world. :cool:

jigenax
07-15-2010, 1:23 AM
AK 47
With military grade ammo.

BZZZZZ!! Incorrect, NOT an AK47.

OneApart
07-15-2010, 1:30 AM
He really went for the GUSTO on that one. :eek:

M. Sage
07-15-2010, 3:40 AM
The Yugoslavian M53 is a direct copy of the German WWII MG42 including the quick change barrel. The only changes are the lack of an AA sight mount and the rear buffer is slightly different. Many WWII parts will interchange with it

The issue here is that this semi-auto rifle only looks like a machine gun and BATFE agents should know this. Unless someone went to the trouble to reverse the BATFE approved semi-auto mods (LOTS of work), its still a 40+ state legal (belt-fed) semi-auto rifle.

Will be very interesting to see what they actually charge him with. Without the machine gun charges, what would the crime be? Exporting firearms and ammo without a license?

Tim

Of course they know. But BATFE doesn't like gun owners, so they're more than willing to lie and fudge any test they can to "prove" that these are full auto. The media definitely doesn't like gun owners, so they're more than willing to swallow the BATFE's lies or make up their own.

acolytes
07-15-2010, 6:35 AM
Hitler's buzzsaw! One of my favorite zombie killing weapons! Along with the ppsh, wunderwaffe, and ray gun.:chris:

Turbinator
07-15-2010, 10:03 AM
BZZZZZ!! Incorrect, NOT an AK47.

BZZT! Wrong! Check out my guide:

http://blog.robballen.com/images/saam/journalistguide.jpg

:D

Turby

acolytes
07-15-2010, 10:21 AM
:rofl2:

joedogboy
07-19-2010, 2:50 PM
I wonder why this guy wasn't named, yet this Amish minor was named - and his photo was shown - when he had some problems while driving...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20010971-504083.html

SPUTTER
07-19-2010, 11:32 PM
I've actually been stopped and searched by Mexican Federales/Army while crossing at Otay Mesa. It was a pretty chaotic situation but they found nothing and let me go on my merry way.

By the way, even semi-auto version rifles can be sold at a mark up in Mexico. Just don't try it!

xXBigJoeXx
07-20-2010, 11:08 AM
I saw this on the news the other night. Here is another photo of what was seized courtesy of Fox 5 San Diego. The picture is kind of small but you can see the guy was ready for business.....

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy5/xxxBigJoexxx/Autoweapons.jpg

paul0660
07-20-2010, 11:23 AM
It is not clear to me if this guy was coming or going.

xXBigJoeXx
07-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Haha I believe he was entering the US from Mexico but it looks like he wont be going anywhere for a long time.... :nono:

norcal.xd
07-20-2010, 12:30 PM
i heard that the us boarder patrol caught another this weekend......this is one of the reports on it.......

SAN DIEGO—A teenager has been arrested after agents at a San Diego border checkpoint found a cache of machine guns and other weapons and ammunition inside his car.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection investigators say the Nissan was stopped Saturday on Interstate 5 at the San Ysidro Port of Entry, where agents were inspecting vehicles heading into Mexico.
Authorities say five machine guns, two handguns, dozens of rounds of ammunition and tactical gear were found hidden in the Nissan.
The 19-year-old driver, whose name hasn't been disclosed, was arrested.
Federal officials say the inspections are part of an effort to curtail the flow of weapons and money fueling the drug war in Mexico.

norcal.xd
07-20-2010, 12:32 PM
they said that all of the guns and ammo was found in a speaker box in the 350z trunk......i didnt know they had that much room......

professionalcoyotehunter
07-20-2010, 12:48 PM
So who on here was it? :D

kapache
07-20-2010, 12:57 PM
So who on here was it? :D

I heard it was a guy by the alias "Profesional Matador de Coyotes."

professionalcoyotehunter
07-20-2010, 12:58 PM
How did you know? :eek:

kapache
07-20-2010, 1:01 PM
How did you know? :eek:

lol:D

ENTHUSIAST
07-20-2010, 1:14 PM
The hair stood up on my neck when I read this:

Whole thing sound fishy. Maybe a propoganda stunt in the shadow of McDonald in a stupid attempt to sway some public opinion. Could have been set up by anybody. But zip tie it to the top of the engine? Really?.........:rolleyes: Who is so stupid to try to smuggle anything that is illegal either direction at the border and be THAT lame about it? I dunno.

I seen 10+ CPB agents stopping Americans going into Mexico at the San Ysidro border crossing traveling I-5 Southbound around 1pm Saturday July 17, 2010. I went down to get my haircut and grab lunch and me and my friend were like since when the #@$* do Americans get stopped by US Border Agents for LEAVING AMERICA!?!

VVV These are obviosly civilian guns AR-15 Pistol Buffer Tube w/Magpul grip these are obviously NOT Military issue weapons or MGs!?!?

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy5/xxxBigJoexxx/Autoweapons.jpg

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jul/13/us-citizen-caught-at-border-with-machine-guns

Can anyone identify what type?

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt297/n2kphotos/guninengine_t593.jpg

More info:

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers performing southbound inspections at the Andrade border crossing Saturday stopped a driver with two machine guns strapped to the engine of his pickup truck.

And if this "MG42" is just another Semi-Auto and the media starts to spin this as "GREAT job CBP is working stop the flow of MACHINE GUNS into Mexico" they can justify stopping American citizens leaving America WTF!?!

The US gov't may use this as the beginning of locking us in as prisoners in our own country should we try to escape their tyranny ever increasing erosion of our rights... I hope I am wrong on this one.

joedogboy
07-20-2010, 1:16 PM
Authorities say five machine guns, two handguns, dozens of rounds of ammunition

I'm calling BS. Rifles are not "machine guns".

Also, 7 guns (five of which are supposed to be fully-automatic), and just "dozens of rounds of ammunition"?

Why do I somehow begin to doubt the training, professionalism, and honesty of the "authorities" reporting this event?

joedogboy
07-20-2010, 1:21 PM
since when the #@$* do Americans get stopped by Border Agents LEAVING AMERICA!?!

I also have difficulty understanding how, in a time when our Customs and Border Protection agencies are failing to secure our borders form foreign invaders and terrorists, they can allocate manpower to securing Mexico's border, and searching for contraband in vehicles leaving America.

While it is nice that we care of criminals are trying to flee the country, or export contraband, it is far more important to prevent criminals from entering our country and keep them from bringing contraband in.

ENTHUSIAST
07-20-2010, 1:24 PM
Those are PS-90s NOT P-90s... media pushes lies to the public!!!

I'm calling BS. Rifles are not "machine guns".

Also, 7 guns (five of which are supposed to be fully-automatic), and just "dozens of rounds of ammunition"?

Why do I somehow begin to doubt the training, professionalism, and honesty of the "authorities" reporting this event?

l_Z_l
07-20-2010, 1:28 PM

+1 but we know that's never really going to happen. they just wanna report it 1st, **** the truth.

ENTHUSIAST
07-20-2010, 1:28 PM
I am serious no exaggeration 10+ CBP agents staring into the I-5 south toward San Diego looking directly at the flow of US citizens me and my friend BOTH shook our heads and admitted we have NEVER seen this in our lifetimes... :mad:

I also have difficulty understanding how, in a time when our Customs and Border Protection agencies are failing to secure our borders form foreign invaders and terrorists, they can allocate manpower to securing Mexico's border, and searching for contraband in vehicles leaving America.

While it is nice that we care of criminals are trying to flee the country, or export contraband, it is far more important to prevent criminals from entering our country and keep them from bringing contraband in.

Manic Moran
07-20-2010, 2:12 PM
me and my friend were like since when the #@$* do Americans get stopped by US Border Agents for LEAVING AMERICA!?!

Hopefully since for ever.

What if the person leaving is a fugitive from justice trying to make it across the border to sanctuary?

Further, US law has restrictions on the export of weapons without the appropriate government approval. In order to enforce it, you need to be inspecting things going outbound.

NTM

Big Jake
07-20-2010, 2:43 PM
MG42
http://www.mg-42.net/images/MG42/mg42_1.jpg

Old school German Military from WWII!

mif_slim
07-20-2010, 2:47 PM

Turby

LOL, thats pretty much dead on right there. Only thing needed is the last picture of the blue AK-47...its also fully automatic weapon too.

Springfield45
07-20-2010, 3:15 PM
Okay, first I don't see a 19 & 20 year old having enough money to buy the guns they had so I bet they were stolen. If they did have the money for them they should have been smart enough to know they would be selling them for a loss. There are thousands of cheap genuine full auto guns in South America.

Second, How long do you all think they would live after trying to sell drug lords Full-auto guns that were only semi-auto. Good way to become a statistic.

joedogboy
07-20-2010, 3:45 PM
Still waiting for names and pictures of the perps.

packnrat
07-20-2010, 7:02 PM
no names no real news on the tube or print about smuggling guns. i say this is a fake. the antis would be all over this even boxer and finstine would come back to Ca for the photo opp.

besides even if these are just semi-auto's they would get a far better price here in the U.S.A then mexico.

N6ATF
07-20-2010, 7:11 PM

Turby

Was just about to post that.

Falstaff
07-20-2010, 8:53 PM
Looks like a new MG-3 to me, which opens up all sorts of interesting possibilities... Hmmmm? I wonder who's end user cert. that came over here on? hmmm?. Importing a brand new MG-3 (if thats what it is, i'm only 90% sure that what it is) from the US to sewers of Mexico means someone (governemt agency most likely) with access to international arms trade is involved.

http://i32.tinypic.com/34nru36.jpg

pd5190
07-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Andrade is a port of entry, a small one just west of Yuma in California. Good place for dental work. The two people the one at Andrade and San Diego are lucky they got caught on this side of the border. If the Federales caught them you may not see them again for a very longtime. While I lived on the border in the 80's I never saw them inspect cars going into Mexico, even the Mexicans would not do that in those days. But I can easily see the cartels using kids from this side to smuggle weapons across the border. Just like they use people to smuggle drugs this way.

Faust
07-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Can you say X Ray!

yelohamr
07-21-2010, 8:15 AM
With the current cartel situation in Mexico, would you want to visit without a gun? I have a place near San Felipe and don't go there anymore for that reason.
If you are flying to and from a place in Mexico is one thing, but driving there is another.

Coltlover
07-22-2010, 3:19 AM
I hope someone in Mexico didn't give an up front deposit for this toy .HAHA!