PDA

View Full Version : Fiocchi .40 S&W

WWDHD?
07-14-2010, 12:08 PM
I have about a half dozen boxes of Fiocchi .40 FMJHP 145gr ammo that I bought about ten years ago. It is marked made in Italy. I only use it at the range once in a while because it has noticeably more recoil and muzzle flash than the ammo I usually use at the range. Its fun stuff but I don't want to wear out my guns with it to much.
Anyway, I've searched the net looking for info on this cartrige and I couldn"t find anything. Its not marked +P but it shoots like it should.
How can this round be both a FMJ and a HP at the same time? I don't have access to testing eqipment but it would seen to me that a .40 bullet that only weighs 145gr would have a lot of velocity and be a good SD load.
Looking forward to the discussion. Thanks.

jdg30
07-14-2010, 8:26 PM
I bought Fiocchi .40 S&W ammo a lot around 10 years ago. I too noticed it had more kick to it than other ammo. It was my favorite to shoot because of that. Turners regularly had it on sale for $6-7 a box of 50 and I would buy several boxes at a time. If I had known how it would be now, I would have bought cases of the stuff.

I think it is good ammo and it would surely work for home defense. The Fiocchi I bought then was FMJ. Not sure about FMJHP but maybe it is a hollow point bullet that is entirely coated or plated with copper?

Lone_Gunman
07-14-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm pretty sure the HP stands for High Pressure. Hence the extra oomph. I could be totally wrong though.

leelaw
07-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Fiocchi tends to be loaded hotter than conventional loads. I've had experience with Fiochi .380, 9mm, 40, and .45 and they've all been good rounds for plinking. I use a premium round from a different manufacturer for self defense loads, though (primarily for the projectile)