PDA

View Full Version : Has flying hot brass burned you & broke skin?

DaveFJ80
07-14-2010, 11:53 AM
When I get rained on by hot brass, either from my gun or on the line at the range or in a handgun class, it doesn't really bother me. I can still feel the hot brass hitting me, but it doesn't hurt in any way, nor has it ever left any damage to my skin.

My wife went shooting with me the day after 4th of July (Monday). A shell casing hit her collar bone from my Glock 19 (9mm Federal FMJ casing... nothing special, same stuff hitting me all afternoon). She said it hurt when she got hit with it, but I told her to suck it up and to keep going. Later that night, it was pretty red but I figured it was just from the hot brass.

I went out of town Tues morning and came back Friday night, and took these pictures that night night (4 days later). Not sure if she just has weak skin or if that particular casing was really hot for whatever reason, but this was the outcome. It actually looks worse in person, but I took these pics with my iPhone and cleaned the up the best I could.

Has this happened to anyone else, getting burned this bad from a shell casing and with skin having to grow back?

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/mugenef8/FIREARMS/Shooting/burn1.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/mugenef8/FIREARMS/Shooting/burn2.jpg

SubieRX
07-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Ouch...

The worst I've had are shell casings leaving tiny burn marks on my arms. I would stand with my arms folded behind a buddy who'd be shooting... and every once in a while a casing would land in the crevice made by my folded arms. Since it has time to sit on my skin in the same spot it burned a bit.... but I've never seen anything like that before.

Tack
07-14-2010, 12:12 PM
I've been cut by an unlucky piece of spinning hot brass. I've only done the "hot brass dance" once.

atto
07-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Maybe it's because the skin on her collar bone is stretched tightly. Otherwise the casing would just bounce off. BTW, aloe is supposed to be good for burns.

Rule .308
07-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Worse one that I got was a fresh piece of hot .223 brass went down my collar and stuck to the back of my neck. Yes, it left a fat red mark and a welt to go with it. Being as it was on the back of my neck I never actually saw it but my daughter was amazed at how big and nasty it was. It was about 1/2" or so across, the length of a 223 shell and it left a blister that was kind of nasty, so yes I have been burned by brass but it was rifle brass which typically is considerably hotter.

JDoe
07-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Has this happened to anyone else, getting burned this bad from a shell casing and with skin having to grow back?

Yes. The good news is that the skin grows back. The bad news is that if the burn is not clean or cleaned (scrubbed) by a Dr. there very well could be a nice little black mark (AKA a tattoo) left after the skin grows back if the shell casing that hit had some soot on it.

Guess how I know this?

b.faust
07-14-2010, 1:08 PM
I had one land right on the rim of my shooting glasses (and stay there)
It gave my eyebrow a nice little "love mark".

I was not amused.

In my other "stupid things I've done", I let my bare arm touch the barrel of my AR after dumping 4 30 round magazines as fast as I could while in Nevada.
I still have the beauty mark from that on my arm. My only regret is it didn't brand the Noveske logo into me....

:)

mif_slim
07-14-2010, 1:13 PM
I have burns on my right forearm because Imma lefty and some of my guns drops the shells instead of kicking it. I shoot tuck mostly and it lands right on my inner elbows...Im looking at it right now...I have 4 burn marks. lol.

Talka bout burns...my sis-n-law went shooting with us over the weekend. we shot over 500 rounds...she finally decides to shoot the xd. her first shot the brass went into her bra!! OUCH!

ccandgc
07-14-2010, 1:23 PM
my 11 year old daughter has a nice brand from a hot .223 round on her right forearm....she is very proud of it!

DaveFJ80
07-14-2010, 1:24 PM
Talka bout burns...my sis-n-law went shooting with us over the weekend. we shot over 500 rounds...she finally decides to shoot the xd. her first shot the brass went into her bra!! OUCH!

Yeah, my wife was originally wearing a tank top but I told her she'd better change it for a t-shirt or she's going to have a good brass catcher there. She wore a t-shirt but with a low collar, so that helped keep brass out of her bra but didn't help so much in this situation.

She told me that night that next time she's wearing a turtle neck to the range :rolleyes:.

12:13
07-14-2010, 1:25 PM
Worse I got was from a 22LR after emptying a mag on those vicious paper targets. I (unknowingly) rest my forearm on an empty casing that was still on the bench. Needless to say, I got a nice imprint of the 22 case complete with the rim. It puffed up immediately & when I got home I punctured it to let the fluid out.

Sinister_1
07-14-2010, 1:28 PM
I have burns on my right forearm because Imma lefty and some of my guns drops the shells instead of kicking it. I shoot tuck mostly and it lands right on my inner elbows...Im looking at it right now...I have 4 burn marks. lol.

:useless:

JK

MrPlutonium
07-14-2010, 1:33 PM
Yup. I was wearing a v neck and some hot brass went down my collar and stuck. Had to do the dance to get it out but it left a welt that eventually scarred right where the v was. Not a good time.

BNuge
07-14-2010, 1:43 PM
I have Oakley M Frames and the spot where the frame and the ear pieces connect rides off of the face just enough to allow 9mm rounds to get stuck between the skin and the ear pieces. This has happened twice and I've received similiar burns but never from momentary contact. Did it get stuck under clothing or just hit the skin and fall?

joefreas
07-14-2010, 1:47 PM
I have a Desert eagle 50AE that spits the shells directly out of the top and with the recoil they hit me right in the forehead. I went shooting with my dad and brother, when we were done 2 of us had bloodyforeheads and the other a black mark where shell/s hit.

caldude
07-14-2010, 1:57 PM
I looked left at the range, just in time to catch a case from the stall next to me right in the forehead. Only the back edge hit, but it did break skin and left a little burn.

tacticalcity
07-14-2010, 2:02 PM
Never been burned that badly, but it does demonstrate why wearing shooting glasses and a brimmed hat while shooting is so darned important. Imagine if that round had hit her eye, or due to lack of brimmed hat slipped down inbetween eyeglasses and your eye.

Hope it doesn't scar.

bohoki
07-14-2010, 2:05 PM
ive had one land on my bare forarm and leave a little burn the shape of the case and one half moon cut on my forehead from an odd eject
of a 30 carbine that had the case mouth chamfered so it was as sharp as the metal ferule on a pencil that had the eraser pulled out

lehn20
07-14-2010, 4:04 PM
It's part of life

Jonathan Doe
07-14-2010, 4:06 PM
I have couple of scars from hot rifle brass.

Burtonwurton
07-14-2010, 4:14 PM
The worse burn I had ever received was a .45 casing that landed between my sunglasses and my right eye leaving a burn line from my eye lid leading down to my cheek. At one point it looked like a permanent scar but with neosporin and 10 days of healing it went away.

Desert_Rat
07-14-2010, 4:15 PM
Yep.I had a few hot 5.56 go down the back of the collar on My flak vest.Nice burns on the back of the neck

audiophil2
07-14-2010, 4:16 PM
Flying brass is part of shooting. I told my wife to wear a tshirt or shirt with long sleeves. She of course ignored me. Brass went right down the front of her shirt and all gun safety went out the door. I had to grab the gun and force her hand to aim downrange while the sizzle wore off. Now she wears proper attire.
I had so much brass bounce into my face, arms, neck, legs that i dont even flinch anymore. I had a guy dumping his AK next to me and his shells either bounced on my table or hit me. I ignored it all.
I did feel bad when my Saiga 12 was pelting folks 10 feet away with shotshells. They made me move to the rightmost lane.

ZX-10R
07-14-2010, 4:20 PM
As hot as it is a tank top is not what to go shooting with. I usually shot with a long sleeve t-shirt or one of my motorcross jerseys.

TurboChrisB
07-14-2010, 4:27 PM
When my GF's nephew was stationed at Pendelton about 2 years ago...we went to see him and he had a burn from a shell casing (don't remember what caliber but I seem to recall .223) that was gonna leave a scar at the base of his neck...said it got caught between his collar and skin....it was pretty nasty.

Lead-Thrower
07-14-2010, 5:04 PM
Burned? Yes. Broken skin? No.

barrym66
07-14-2010, 8:12 PM
Oh yes.... :p

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=305726

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab307/dbarrym/Misc%20for%20forums/IMG_3238sm.jpg

smle-man
07-14-2010, 8:49 PM
The M16A1 was very unfriendly to left handed shooters which I am. At BT at Ft. Knox KY with my trusty XM16E1 in the fox hole shooting position I got two ejected cases down my shirt collar where they stuck to my skin. The Drill Sergeant behind me saw what happened and told me to keep shooting so I did. They left deep burn marks that stayed for quite awhile. When my relay stood down he told me to button the top button on my fatigue shirt from now on when shooting. It was hard to qualify Expert with ejected cases hitting my cheek if I snuggled up on the stock but I did anyway.

professorhard
07-14-2010, 8:57 PM
one time my friend and I were shooting our 10/22s next to each other from seated positions at a table. His gun ejected a .22LR shell onto the table and as it landed i assumed a bench rest position and caught the shell inbetween my left forearm and the table. There was still some residual powder burning in it (dirty/crappy ammo). It burned so bad I pulled my arm up immediately and it suck to it with the melted skin and flesh so I had to pull it off. It was a really bad burn through all layers of skin. I still have a 22LR brass case imprint on the underside of my forearm.

paintballergb
07-14-2010, 9:05 PM
Once a hot piece of brass landed in my shoe and gave me a nice blister on my ankle.

Tank 57
07-14-2010, 9:39 PM
At an indoor range,had .45 brass from the shooter next to me land in my shirt collar.Smelled the burn at the same time I felt it.Left a small scar.

Gryff
07-14-2010, 9:52 PM
I watched a guy at an IDPA match bounce a shell casing off the barricade next to him and actually have it land between his glasses and his eye. I'll give him kudos, though, because when he freaked and reached up to rip his glasses off his face, he had his finger off the trigger and kept the muzzle downrange.

IMC87
07-14-2010, 10:29 PM
my brass has landed in between my classmates glasses and eye. Only got his lid thank god

ChrisTKHarris
07-14-2010, 10:35 PM
I had some .45 brass eject and land on the top of my eye pro. That was interesting.

nick
07-14-2010, 10:54 PM
My mother once got a hot casing stuck to her arm. She finished off the mag before removing it.

xibunkrlilkidsx
07-15-2010, 7:09 AM
Yep. but nothing terrible. round wiggled its way down my shirt and got stuck at my belt line.

Aaron. yous till have a scar from that 45acp rim on your cheek?

Dieseldog
07-15-2010, 8:14 AM
Hot summer day at Los Altos Rod & Gun 40yd tin can range. Shooting my AK, using steel case ammo. Had a case bounce off the chicken wire partition and came in through the top of my glasses, landing between my eyebrow & eye lid. I couldn't get the glasses off fast enough. Had a burn mark for a week.

Turbinator
07-15-2010, 8:47 AM
Man, you guys have it bad. I've been hit by flying brass, but lucky enough such that I've never really been badly burned.

Turby

Vacaville
07-15-2010, 9:04 AM
Had a shell pop out of my 22/45, bounce off the range divider, and go down from the top of my prescription glasses until it lodged on my cheek right under my eye. Burn was deep red in the perfect shape of a .22 case. Since then I always wear goggles over my glasses.

Rekrab
07-15-2010, 9:59 AM
My dad had a .45 ACP casing come straight up and smack him just above the eyebrow, made a neat little crescent moon cut, but no scar or burn.

mooster
07-15-2010, 10:06 AM
I received a 2nd degree burn between my shoulder blades in June. During a carbine class 3-4 pieces of brass from the guy to my left went down the back of my shirt and got caught where the sling crossed my back. Being extremely motivated (and/or extremely stupid) I continued with the drill. I don't recall if it starting bleeding at the time of injury or if it was a result of the sling tearing blisters/skin the rest of the day. Last week skin started peeling off in chunks and it is now just an odd discoloration with some scar tissue.

halo6941
07-15-2010, 10:09 AM
ive been hit in the forehead once by a nice hot .45 shell casing.

WeekendWarrior
07-15-2010, 1:02 PM
I was bench shooting my AR-308. I was shooting about 1 round per 1 or 2 seconds without pulling my eye away from the optic. All of the casing I had shot so far (about 50 rounds or so had landed on the ground relatively far away. The last shot I took managed to bounce off something and land on my shooting mat. I did not hear it land there. I shifted my weight and arm position, causing my forearm to come down on the casing with a decent amount of weight on it. The casing burned me pretty badly and left a scar that is still visible a year later. That sucked.

trickyvic
07-15-2010, 1:14 PM
I've never been burned that bad.

A lot of the face ones can be avoided be simply wearing a hat.

Scratch705
07-15-2010, 1:56 PM
i have noticed that the less "rough" the skin the more easily it burns from casings.

like on my arms, beneath the elbow it is tanned and "seasoned" i guess you can say, while above it is pale white(for asian) and skin is very smooth/soft (don't laugh) and when .22 casings touch my arms below the elbow it would hurt but no red marks, but if a casing touch my arm above the elbow it would leave a big red mark and hurt a heck of a lot longer.

tpuig
07-15-2010, 2:46 PM
I've got a nice 3" line from a case that rolled under my elbow while shooting the Garand. Not much to look at, but dang it hurt...

Doheny
07-15-2010, 2:49 PM
My wife had a couple of AR casings land on her back and shoulders. They burned her bad enough that she had to go to the hospital to get it dressed; she now has a couple of scars. She was qualifying at work, so workers comp took care of it.

Twinsen
07-15-2010, 6:37 PM
Nothing more than one of those white outlines of burned skin.

But I recently stuck a 9x19 case to a painted wooden pole. The mouth of the case went in probably 1/16-1/8 of an inch at the deepest, at an angle and stuck there. I'm sure it would have left a cool scar if it was a person and not a pole.

forgiven
07-15-2010, 7:36 PM
One time while shooting my M1 carbine I had a shell eject and go down the front of my shirt which was tucked in. I was burned multiple times before I was able to get it out. While shooting my S&W 500 with 700grn cast lead bullets, pieces of the lead blew back and cut my face in three places.

HowardW56
07-15-2010, 7:49 PM
I've caught brass several times... I just grab my shirt and hold it away from my body until it cools...

Bill Carson
07-16-2010, 12:44 AM
I was shooting my buddy's ar-15 back in 87 in azusa canyon left-handed because I am cross dominate and a shell landed on the back of my neck and stuck between my skin and my jacket collar. I had a wicked scar for 10 years but it went away.

vantec08
07-16-2010, 3:59 AM
An ejected brass from a friend's AR hit my arm and dropped to the ground, causing a small cut. I take medicine that contributes to bleeding so it wasnt really the ejected round that cause the small trickle.

delisle
07-16-2010, 6:33 AM
I had burned through about 100 rounds on my Mini-14 at an indoor range and on the last shot a piece of brass bounced off a divider wall, landed in the back of the collar of my shirt, and left a perfect .223 shaped burn right between my shoulder blades.

xxINKxx
07-16-2010, 7:03 AM
The bad news is that if the burn is not clean or cleaned (scrubbed) by a Dr. there very well could be a nice little black mark (AKA a tattoo)

Dont tell me you acually go to the DR's after hot brass burns you?

If so please turn in your man card (assuming your a guy)

till44
07-16-2010, 7:43 AM
I've had brass get stuck between my shooting glasses and cheek. I couldn't get my glasses off fast enough and it did burn me.

Hummer
09-28-2015, 4:51 AM
There are a number of things that can be done to eliminate hot brass incidents which as indicated have caused serious injuries.

1. Brass from a AR comes out about 170F.
2. Third Degree burns occur when skin is heated to 155F or hotter.
3. If you are in very close proximity (inches) to ejection port brass will stick to skin upon contact as I experienced shooting a AR left handed from the hip with no shirt on and I wound up with three cases stuck to my stomach leaving perfect impressions of brass there for several years.
4. The ideal ejection pattern for all semi/full auto rifles per the Army Design Manual is between 1:00 and 2:00.
5. There are several things that can be done to achieve this and have already been addressed i.e. trim ejector spring 1/2 coil at a time and shoot and see where the hot brass lands.
6. There are hot brass deflectors than can be attached to ARs. Most require a carrying handle to be in place for these to attach to so if you have a flat top that is not a option.
7. You can design a case deflector as I did that so far has worked very well for me. You can get epoxy putty and knead to to activate it and after degreasing the "deflector bump" you can mold the putty onto the forward face of the "bump" and build it up until the "bump" is at a right angle to the bore line and still allow the dust cover to be closed. I made mine a little oversize as finger marks will be left in the putty. I filed the dried putty down and painted it black.
8. As a further enhancement I took a piece of black rubber door insulation that is about 1" wide and has an adhesive back and cut a piece of put on the front side.

The result was the brass now accumulates (standing position) at 1:30 in about a 18" circle forward of the firing line. The rubber insulation dampens the case ejection velocity and gives me fired cases that look like they were fired in a bolt action rifle. No body dents and no dented case mouths.

If you are in a NRA match the Highpower Rules say to the effect that you will not interfere with competitors on adjacent points and IMHO raining hot brass on a competitor is a definite interference.

Then you have the individual who thinks it is cute to rain brass down on those on the next firing point. It is quite surprising here that posters have not been attacked as being wimps etc as I have seen on other forums. Do a google search on "hot brass injuries AR" and you will see this discussed on other forums.

Then go to http://www.thegunzone.com/556dw-3.html

Scroll down to February 1983 and read where the problem was identified in M16A1E1 Testing (adopted as M16A2) where there was a warning published in the Aberdeen Proving Ground Technical Feasibility Report of this hazard and it was classified as a "catastrophic/occasional deficiency". That is a innocuous term in and of itself but then find a copy of MIL STD for Safety and you will see that it says in effect a system will not be fielded until that problem is corrected.

I broached this with several attorney friends who specialized in injury cases/liability and a judge and would anyone like to guess what they said?

cc56
09-28-2015, 5:02 AM
I was shooting a 50 A&E desert eagle once. A piece of brass hit me in between the eyes and straight up drew blood. It was a half circle mark. I have been burned a few times too.

Pauliedad
09-28-2015, 5:31 AM
Last round out of my DE comes straight back to my forehead. Others go up and over the noggin.
Baseball cap is a must on those days.

RosevilleGunner
09-28-2015, 8:18 AM
I was at an indoor range and a .22 casing from my rifle bounced off a divider and landed behind the frame of my safety glasses and burned my cheek just beneath my eye. Needless to say from now on I always wear a hat while shooting.

Calif Hunter
09-28-2015, 8:21 AM
Shooting prairie dogs off the hood of my truck - an empty thrown out of a Ruger Ranch Rifle cracked the windshield. Those Mini-14s really sling the brass!

Ronin2
09-28-2015, 10:43 AM
What type of shirt was the wearing at the range? Maybe its time to suggest to the wife that she start dressing "appropriately" for the activity.....:facepalm:

fritztkatt
09-28-2015, 11:04 AM
I've seen some nasty scars from cmp shoots in the corps. The brass gets caught behind your neck by the flack jacket... I usually just get hit in the face with the brass being a lefty. It always seems like the righties get burnt.

Occasionally my 1911 or glock will eject one right into my forehead, or bounce off the wall/divider at iron sights. No burns though.

JohnnyMtn
09-28-2015, 11:16 AM
This has happened to me several times - received bad burns on my left forearm when shooting AQTs at an Appleseed shoot.

They pack you in pretty close on the line at an AS. Depending upon the shooter to your left, you sometimes get brass continuously showering you throughout the day. There were times when prone during the middle of the AQT I would get a casing land right between my arm and the shooting mat. Well, I wasn't about to mess up my NPOA and thus my AQT by shaking the burning brass loose. So I would continue shooting the string while that brass burned away at my arm.

Like I said, this has happened to me several times and left a good bubble and ultimately small scar on my arm each time.

This was always with .22 brass which would explain my oak-like resolve. I could NEVER do that if it had been a larger caliber.

epilepticninja
09-28-2015, 11:39 AM
There are a number of things that can be done to eliminate hot brass incidents which as indicated have caused serious injuries.

3. If you are in very close proximity (inches) to ejection port brass will stick to skin upon contact as I experienced shooting a AR left handed from the hip with no shirt on and I wound up with three cases stuck to my stomach leaving perfect impressions of brass there for several years.
4. The ideal ejection pattern for all semi/full auto rifles per the Army Design Manual is between 1:00 and 2:00.
5. There are several things that can be done to achieve this and have already been addressed i.e. trim ejector spring 1/2 coil at a time and shoot and see where the hot brass lands.
6. There are hot brass deflectors than can be attached to ARs. Most require a carrying handle to be in place for these to attach to so if you have a flat top that is not a option.
7. You can design a case deflector as I did that so far has worked very well for me. You can get epoxy putty and knead to to activate it and after degreasing the "deflector bump" you can mold the putty onto the forward face of the "bump" and build it up until the "bump" is at a right angle to the bore line and still allow the dust cover to be closed. I made mine a little oversize as finger marks will be left in the putty. I filed the dried putty down and painted it black.
8. As a further enhancement I took a piece of black rubber door insulation that is about 1" wide and has an adhesive back and cut a piece of put on the front side.

The result was the brass now accumulates (standing position) at 1:30 in about a 18" circle forward of the firing line. The rubber insulation dampens the case ejection velocity and gives me fired cases that look like they were fired in a bolt action rifle. No body dents and no dented case mouths.

If you are in a NRA match the Highpower Rules say to the effect that you will not interfere with competitors on adjacent points and IMHO raining hot brass on a competitor is a definite interference.

Then you have the individual who thinks it is cute to rain brass down on those on the next firing point. It is quite surprising here that posters have not been attacked as being wimps etc as I have seen on other forums. Do a google search on "hot brass injuries AR" and you will see this discussed on other forums.

Scroll down to February 1983 and read where the problem was identified in M16A1E1 Testing (adopted as M16A2) where there was a warning published in the Aberdeen Proving Ground Technical Feasibility Report of this hazard and it was classified as a "catastrophic/occasional deficiency". That is a innocuous term in and of itself but then find a copy of MIL STD for Safety and you will see that it says in effect a system will not be fielded until that problem is corrected.

I broached this with several attorney friends who specialized in injury cases/liability and a judge and would anyone like to guess what they said?

Your first post and you resurrect a five year old thread? Outstanding! You will fit right in. Make sure you visit FP's basement for some loving of the manly kind.

jrpowell3
09-28-2015, 11:44 AM
Just about every EMP range I did in the Marines, had at least one or two pieces of hot 5.56 brass go down the back of my flak jacket.

HowardW56
09-28-2015, 11:48 AM

Couldn't you find an older thread to comment on?

jtake
09-28-2015, 12:20 PM
Ditto. Hot 223 case got caught in my glasses as well. Nice burn mark above the corner of my right eye.

I had one land right on the rim of my shooting glasses (and stay there)
It gave my eyebrow a nice little "love mark".

I was not amused.

In my other "stupid things I've done", I let my bare arm touch the barrel of my AR after dumping 4 30 round magazines as fast as I could while in Nevada.
I still have the beauty mark from that on my arm. My only regret is it didn't brand the Noveske logo into me....

:)

Condorguns
09-28-2015, 12:46 PM
Times like this I miss Trenchfoot and his Necro post pic. *sigh*

Tank top
Bra
still have the scars.

Yes even when we know better we all make mistakes.

No I'm not posting pic's

ElDub1950
09-28-2015, 1:17 PM
The worse burn I had ever received was a .45 casing that landed between my sunglasses and my right eye leaving a burn line from my eye lid leading down to my cheek. At one point it looked like a permanent scar but with neosporin and 10 days of healing it went away.

Yep. Had a .40 brass wedge between my glasses and eyelid. Luckily got my eyes closed in time. Took a couple weeks to completely heal.

toddytguns
09-28-2015, 1:57 PM
Once during an off-duty qualification, I had a just fired .40 brass bounce off the divider and land in the back collar of my polo shirt. I calmly completed that course of fire, made the weapon safe and then removed the offending piece of brass.

teg33
09-28-2015, 2:15 PM
Burned by hot casing, yeah couple times but that's part of enjoyment of shooting

Smith80
09-28-2015, 2:17 PM
Brother in law and I were at an outdoor range once. I was standing just behind him and to the right watching him shoot when I felt something hit me. Looked to the guy to the right of us. He was shooting a mini-14 and that thing was really chucking the brass. I was about to move away to get clear of it when one of the shells nailed me between the eyes leaving a half circle gash between the eyes. Had blood running down my face the rest of the range trip. Man those mini-14s can really throw brass.

bohoki
09-28-2015, 2:21 PM
ive been burned on the arm cause it caught and sat for a half second but it was just mild

sl0re10
09-28-2015, 2:38 PM
a: yes to burns
b: the best was one went in between my glasses and my face. :) Had a nice burn case mark under my eye I was showing people at work.

had a bunch end up in my hair but they've never burned it that I can tell.

BajaJames83
09-28-2015, 2:42 PM
Guy next to me one time slung a 223 case under my forearm and it left a nice 223 case shaped burn with scar for over a year.

pdq_wizzard
09-28-2015, 2:55 PM
Your first post and you resurrect a five year old thread? Outstanding! You will fit right in. Make sure you visit FP's basement for some loving of the manly kind.

I can only think that he hit a google link that took him to this thread and made an account to reply. :facepalm:

hunterb
09-28-2015, 3:01 PM
Damn that sucks OP! Always happens to people you're trying to convince that shooting is fun....

subrvin
09-28-2015, 3:06 PM
https://instagram.com/p/8E8w12oRWk/

sonofeugene
09-28-2015, 3:20 PM
I think it depends more on how good the contact is between the casing and the skin and how long the contact is. I'll often go to the local indoor range in my shorts, flip flops and tie dye T shirt. Every once in a while, I'll have some brass drop on my foot. I feel it and just flip it off. However, one time my sister caught a 9mm casing in her more than ample cleavage and it left two nice burns. She said it hurt.

beardog308
09-28-2015, 4:55 PM
I've never been burned, but my wrist will get chewed up from mangled brass shooting my PTR 91 from the left.

David916
09-28-2015, 5:12 PM
been burned many times, actually had a 7.62x39 round hit my teeth pretty hard this morning.

GeorgeGeorgerson
09-28-2015, 6:50 PM
Few weeks ago I took a friend of mine shooting (he doesn't shoot except with me), and he got a piece of brass stuck between his collar and his neck. Thankfully, I was standing right behind him and was able to grab the pistol he was holding before he tried grabbing the brass with the hand holding the pistol. I wrote it down in my shooting journal; I'm going to train putting the gun down with any new shooters I shoot with from now on, just like I take them through hypothetical FTFs and squib load situations. I'm glad I caught his arm before he accidentally swept anything or anyone. As it is, the pistol was pointed downrange the whole time.

It's happened to me a few times too, I've got a piece of brass on my eyebrow/the rim of my shooting glasses a few times. I try to intentionally react slowly by putting the gun down first, as I get burned, before removing the casing. Getting a burn > sweeping anyone or anything you shouldn''t be.

jdogg2000
09-28-2015, 7:34 PM
Rifle brass is SO much hotter than pistol brass... I was shooting prone and someone's hot 5.56 brass flew into my pocket and burned my leg. No joke! I got a ~1.5" 2nd degree burn on my leg with nasty blistering the next day. Still have a scar from it about a month later, this one is not going away me thinks...

GW
09-28-2015, 7:39 PM
a: yes to burns
b: the best was one went in between my glasses and my face. :)

Ditto
Burned my eyelid. I always wear a baseball cap when shooting after that

Tank 57
09-28-2015, 8:40 PM
I looked at this thread because I didn't remember posting in it.5 years ago.

sly-jay
09-28-2015, 8:57 PM
Another member of the eyelid burn club here. Brass hit ceiling, came straight down and got stuck behind my glasses.

It was kinda interesting how it looked like two marks when my eye was open, one above and one below the eye. But if I'd scrunch my eye closed, the way it clearly was at the moment of burning, it became one mark in the exact shape of a .22 casing, little tiny rim and all.

Baseball caps from then on.

damon1272
09-28-2015, 9:03 PM
Uncle took a shot at a prairie dog. Round ejected and hit the back window of the single cab truck I was driving. Went down the back of my shirt, pulled the shirt to get it away from my back and it dropped into my britches. Hot .223 burns between the buns! This was on the first day of a week long hunting trip. To say I was the butt of the jokes was an understatement.

batsone
09-28-2015, 11:52 PM
Brass caught me in between the check and glasses . I had a brass hickey for a while ,the wife caught one in the boobs[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sly-jay
09-30-2015, 5:52 PM
I'm wondering how many people posting in this thread are lefties? At least the ones with "case got stuck behind my glasses" ?

cdtx2001
09-30-2015, 6:06 PM
Got a nice scar on my inner arm in the shape of a 5.56 casing. I want one on the other arm in 308. Matching 50BMG on both arms like Caine in Kung FU would be awesome.

Gators716
09-30-2015, 6:46 PM
My girlfriend got burned on our (her) second trip to the range. One of the workers there said it was because her grip wasn't correct? We were shooting a g17 fwiw.

whipkiller
10-01-2015, 2:54 PM

Saw that one happen to a very pretty young lady once. It was pretty clear that her boyfriend/date took her to the range for the first time, and he seemed excited to be teaching her this "Great hobby".

I was sharing a lane with my buddy so happened to be standing back behind the lanes and watched it all unfold.

First mag after he walked her through it all, 5 or 6 shots into the mag a case bounced off the lane divider and right into her cleavage.:eek: To her credit, she didn't sweep everybody as she yelped and set the gun down... and walked straight the eff out!

I don't think the rest of the date went very well.

Dr.Lou
10-01-2015, 6:54 PM
A little burning sensation, but never cut.

SonofWWIIDI
10-01-2015, 7:48 PM
Had a burn mark like that (not as bad though) on my temple when a 9mm casing got caught between my temple and my glasses.

It can happen.

tnlrat37
10-01-2015, 7:53 PM
Too many times to remember. Got a scar on the back of my neck from being to the right of an m60 gunner. Last time I stayed that close to those guys. It's all good, Chicks dig scars. Also burned most of my fingerprints off grabbing a Saw after a long live fire in Infantry school, reached down to grab carry handle and wasn't looking down, grabbed the barrel instead, that sucked.

Brutmor
10-01-2015, 7:57 PM
I got a piece of 40 S&W brass stuck between my forehead and eye protection after it bounced off the lane divider. Ugh. It left a mark for a while.

bloodhawke83
10-01-2015, 7:58 PM
Yes, had one land on my thumb and i didn't feel it burn. Few days later it was infected.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Rosamond
10-01-2015, 8:43 PM
Looks like FREEDOM to me. Wear with pride!:)

Murmur
10-01-2015, 9:50 PM
I once had a 5.56 casing get wedged into my neck on a live fire exercise in Kuwait. I couldn't stop to pull it out. It made a similar mark. Went away eventually but did leave a faint burn scar. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. After it heals it will only be visible upon close inspection and you're the only one getting close around there anyway.

fighter4cage
10-01-2015, 10:29 PM
Try laying in the dirt shoulder to shoulder with 100 soldiers firing thousands of rounds ....
Oh yaa I've suffered numerous raw skin burns from brass finding its way down the back of my neck and simmering on my back!

dchang0
10-01-2015, 11:20 PM
Try laying in the dirt shoulder to shoulder with 100 soldiers firing thousands of rounds ....
Oh yaa I've suffered numerous raw skin burns from brass finding its way down the back of my neck and simmering on my back!

I was at a Magpul class run by Travis Haley and Chris Costa. Same thing happened to me--rifle brass from the next guy over went down the back of my neck and sat there cooking skin.

Haley saw it and started yelling "SUCK IT UP, SUCK IT UP!" so I did. After the string of fire was over, when I shook out the round, it peeled off with it a nice layer of sauteed skin. I probably still have the scar.

---

The flip side of NOT sucking it up is like this.

One day I went with a couple of my buddies to an indoor pistol range. While we were waiting, there was a cute girl there shooting with her boyfriend. She shot a round, the case went down her shirt, and she started dancing around trying to get it out of her shirt. Sure enough, she squeezed off a round into the concrete just a couple of feet in front of her feet.

My buddy saw it all and pointed out the small trail of blood that the couple left when coming out of the range. We think someone (probably her boyfriend) got hit by the shrapnel when the FMJ round hit the concrete and the copper jacket flew off. Either that or the slide of the pistol may have struck her in the hand--we didn't see.

SUCK IT UP SAVES LIVES. Well, it would have, especially if she had turned 90 degrees and shot through the divider at the legs of the guy in the next lane...

bk23103
10-02-2015, 1:39 PM
I once had a cool V-shaped scar from hot .22 LR brass in the folds of my right elbow for months after shooting my Marlin 60 as a kid. I'm a lefty.

MG34
10-02-2015, 5:36 PM
Yes.

davegonewild
10-03-2015, 1:15 AM
My wife has a caught her fair share to the chest

PyroFox79
10-03-2015, 7:47 AM
Too many times to remember. Got a scar on the back of my neck from being to the right of an m60 gunner. Last time I stayed that close to those guys. It's all good, Chicks dig scars. Also burned most of my fingerprints off grabbing a Saw after a long live fire in Infantry school, reached down to grab carry handle and wasn't looking down, grabbed the barrel instead, that sucked.

Lol i did something similair. We were doing some kind of live fire assault training. Some Sgt had a malfunction with his saw. I run up to figure it out take the barrel off and put it on my boot as to not get it dirty. I shifted my weight, barrel went to fall and just grabbed it out of instinct. Yea that didnt end well.