PDA

View Full Version : Creating new iPhone App: Need Pricing Help!

Olav
07-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Help with pricing.

I'm going to be creating a new iPhone app that will allow you to find any range the country.

So, you can look up via ZIP, Range name, city/state, nearby address, and nearby using GPS. Filter for specific characteristics etc.

I have a data base of 7000 ranges.

I need help to determine what would a fair price be for this application.

Thanks!

jaymz
07-14-2010, 11:41 AM
I don't travel much and I know all of my local ranges. Not much of a value over a buck or two for me. But I'm cheap. I usually just Google when I need to search for stuff like that.

the_t0ny
07-14-2010, 11:44 AM
i wouldn't pay more than 1.99 for that app, mainly because i know of all the ranges by where i live and im happy with going there so there isnt a need to find another. but i will definitely purchase this app though. are you going to be including range info such as prices on there and what amenities they offer?

Olav
07-14-2010, 11:57 AM
The amenities, prices and stuff would definitely get in there but over time.

Not right away though.

There will be a web look up so a quick check on their web page would answer those questions once the field was narrowed down.

Also, a phone call would be quick too as I would include that feature to dial a phone number.

Thanks for the feed back so far guys!

Corbin Dallas
07-14-2010, 12:15 PM
I'll be honest, I can type "Gun Range" into Google Maps and I get every listing near me. So this app would be a moot point and valueless.

sfwdiy
07-14-2010, 12:57 PM
I'll be honest, I can type "Gun Range" into Google Maps and I get every listing near me. So this app would be a moot point and valueless.

Not to kill your buzz, but I'd have to agree with Dallas. I don't see a situation where I'd be out-and-about, carrying just my iPhone, and suddenly NEED to know where the nearest shooting range is, especially considering the fact that I already know where the nearest shooting range is.

You gotta do something extra to add value. If you can get the ranges onboard with some type of advertising or value-added services like "show our ad on your iPhone, get 15% off an ammo purchase" or something like that, you might have an app people would be willing to pay for.

Just a range-locator? I don't think I'd install it even if it was free. :(

--B

Olav
07-14-2010, 1:33 PM

Not to kill your buzz, but I'd have to agree with Dallas. I don't see a situation where I'd be out-and-about, carrying just my iPhone, and suddenly NEED to know where the nearest shooting range is, especially considering the fact that I already know where the nearest shooting range is.

You gotta do something extra to add value. If you can get the ranges onboard with some type of advertising or value-added services like "show our ad on your iPhone, get 15% off an ammo purchase" or something like that, you might have an app people would be willing to pay for.

--B

Yah, I can see your point if I was only offering a google map application disguised as an iPhone application.

But that's not what's being offered.

Thanks for the feedback...

ocabj
07-14-2010, 1:38 PM
Are you just using XML and scraping someone else's database or are you actually storing all this information on your own db? If own DB, is it stored locally within the app or on the Internet? If own DB, who is updating the DB?

If it's your own DB and you're ensuring it's up to date, then I guess you can charge 99 cents or give it away for free and do in-app purchases for db updates.

Olav
07-14-2010, 1:40 PM
Are you just using XML and scraping someone else's database or are you actually storing all this information on your own db? If own DB, is it stored locally within the app or on the Internet? If own DB, who is updating the DB?

It's my own sql db that is local to the iphone.

I'll be updating it and keeping current.

blisster
07-14-2010, 2:47 PM
Can you offer it for free and use iAds for revenue?

Olav
07-14-2010, 3:03 PM
Can you offer it for free and use iAds for revenue?

How about .99 plus iAds?

glockman19
07-14-2010, 3:08 PM
Help with pricing.

I'm going to be creating a new iPhone app that will allow you to find any range the country.

So, you can look up via ZIP, Range name, city/state, nearby address, and nearby using GPS. Filter for specific characteristics etc.

I have a data base of 7000 ranges.

I need help to determine what would a fair price be for this application.

Thanks!

I would offer one state for free and an upgrade to all states for $.99

KillZone45
07-14-2010, 3:49 PM
I would pay $1.99-$2.99, I once paid $19 for StarMap Pro, it is freaking awesome! When I go visit my parents in Idaho it is nice to be able to look up a range to shoot the rifles, we can shoot handguns on the property. I definitely think this would be a useful app!

KillZone45
07-14-2010, 3:51 PM

--B

Not even for free? You must have an 8gig iPhone with most of the memory taken up because I def see this as a useful app.

bigcalidave
07-14-2010, 3:51 PM
Sounds like a great .99 app... What would it take to get a default link to Calguns in both of your apps? PM me

RawImpact
07-14-2010, 3:53 PM
To be honest i wouldn't pay for it, but nothing more than $2.00. Going to the range isn't necessarily a spontaneous thing for me, it requires at minimum 1 hour to pack everything. So i usually make a few phone calls to make sure the range is open before i actually pack and go. And if i am doing that i already have the address/direction down on paper.

Why not a app that shows stores that carry ammo?

Olav
07-14-2010, 4:14 PM
Hey, thanks for everyone's input.

There sure is a lot of interesting ideas out there and different requirements.

Keep the ideas flowing...

Corbin Dallas
07-14-2010, 5:03 PM
Not even for free? You must have an 8gig iPhone with most of the memory taken up because I def see this as a useful app.

I wouldn't DL it either, even for free.

Google maps is completely free, up to date and includes driving direction, phone numbers and sometimes websites.

Since I'm already on my iPhone, why do I need an extra "app" to find something I either a) already know or b) can use my google foo on ???

I'm sure it serves a purpose, I just don't see it.

lorax3
07-14-2010, 7:34 PM
What I would really like to have is an iPhone map of BLM public land that I can legally shoot at.

May run into some liability issues however...

XYZ
07-14-2010, 7:37 PM
What I would really like to have is an iPhone map of BLM public land that I can legally shoot at.

+1 on this.

Freagan
07-14-2010, 8:14 PM
I also think an app to find local BLM land has a lot more promise. Anyone with a smart phone can look up local ranges, but it's much more difficult to do the same with BLM, especially on a phone.

Look Wat I kAn DO !
07-14-2010, 9:05 PM
It would be nice if the app said wat kind of range and the price of the range. Show pics of it if possible. show what do they let you shoot. I would pay .99 or even 1.99 .

Best of Luck.

Olav
07-15-2010, 5:37 AM
I wouldn't DL it either, even for free.

Google maps is completely free, up to date and includes driving direction, phone numbers and sometimes websites.

Since I'm already on my iPhone, why do I need an extra "app" to find something I either a) already know or b) can use my google foo on ???

I'm sure it serves a purpose, I just don't see it.

Well, I guess I can cross you off my list to get a buck or two from.
:(

Corbin Dallas
07-15-2010, 7:45 AM

May run into some liability issues however...

Now THIS would be something I would be interested in.

As long as it included - Ranger contact number, last known gate code, locations to buy day passes and cost. Real time open/closed according to the rangers.

This would be something I would buy.

turbogg
07-17-2010, 4:43 PM
How about .99 plus iAds?

That would be the way to do it. IMHO

jarhead995
07-18-2010, 2:09 AM
iads would probably make more money