PDA

View Full Version : How do I register my Glock 23C

rockone
07-14-2010, 9:13 AM
Hello All,
I'm new to this forum, and I have a question of how to register my Glock 23C.

I purchased the handgun in Georgia in 2003 from an authorized dealer; I don't have the bill of sale or remember the exact date. I moved to CA in 2008 when I was still in the Army and brought the weapon with me - I did not register it at that time. I just separated from the service in June 2010, and I pulled my handgun out when I moved to a different city in NorCal - which made me question registration.

My questions are am I required to register the handgun, and how do I do it? I have filled out a form FD4010A, but I haven't submitted it yet.

Other info: I was a resident of WA state until 2008. I got a CA license and registered to vote in CA after moving here in beginning of 2008.

Thanks for your help!

HighLander51
07-14-2010, 9:25 AM
yes, you are required to register you handgun, just fill out this form and send in your $19 to the DOJ

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf

tenpercentfirearms
07-14-2010, 9:51 AM
yes, you are required to register you handgun, just fill out this form and send in your $19 to the DOJ

Exactly what he said.

rockone
07-14-2010, 10:29 AM
filling it out now. thanks guys.

also, is there any reason why a glock 23c would be unauthorized in CA?

Uriah02
07-14-2010, 10:33 AM
I don't know if there will be a penalty because you were supposed to have registered it within 90 days of becoming a CA resident.

Doheny
07-14-2010, 10:34 AM
also, is there any reason why a glock 23c would be unauthorized in CA?

No, they're fine. I have one and it's my favorite handgun.

todd2968
07-14-2010, 10:38 AM
You became a resident upon seperation june 2010

ke6guj
07-14-2010, 12:11 PM

Exactly what he said.actually, wouldn't the "new resident" form, http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf , be a better fit if he just became a CA resident in June.

also, is there any reason why a glock 23c would be unauthorized in CA?no, a stock G23C would be just fine in CA. You can check the exact configuration of your 23C by running it through the flowchart, http://www.calguns.net/caawid/hgflowchart.pdf . However, there might be an issue with the magazines for your 23C if they are 11+round mags.

You became a resident upon seperation june 2010

reading the OP I just noticed that he got a CA DL and registered to vote in CA when he moved here in 2008. So does that make him a CA resident back in 2008?

I don't know if there will be a penalty because you were supposed to have registered it within 90 days of becoming a CA resident.if he became a resident back in 2008 and failed to register it within the 90-day window, the PC states that if CADOJ learns of the violation only because he did a late registration, that they can't use the registration to prove he was late.

rockone
07-14-2010, 1:05 PM
i'm pretty sure the actions of getting the license, registering to vote, and paying CA taxes makes me a CA resident in 08.

hope there aren't any penalties for registering late.

ke6guj
07-14-2010, 1:12 PM
hope there aren't any penalties for registering late.you should be fine.

12078(f)((2)(A) On or after January 1, 1998, within 60 days of bringing a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person into this state, a personal handgun importer shall do one of the following:
(i) Forward by prepaid mail or deliver in person to the Department of Justice, a report prescribed by the department including information concerning that individual and a description of the firearm in question.
(ii) Sell or transfer the firearm in accordance with the provisions of subdivision (d) or in accordance with the provisions of an exemption from subdivision (d).
(iii) Sell or transfer the firearm to a dealer licensed pursuant to Section 12071.
(iv) Sell or transfer the firearm to a sheriff or police department.

(4)(A) It is the intent of the Legislature that a violation of paragraph (2) or (3) shall not constitute a "continuing offense" and the statute of limitations for commencing a prosecution for a violation of paragraph (2) or (3) commences on the date that the applicable grace period specified in paragraph (2) or (3) expires.
(B) Paragraphs (2) and (3) shall not apply to a person who reports his or her ownership of a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person after the applicable grace period specified in paragraph (2) or (3) expires if evidence of that violation arises only as the result of the person submitting the report described in paragraph (2) or (3). that says that you have 60-days to report the importation of the handgun, but if the only evidence that you did not report the importation it is the paperwork of you trying to do a late registration can't be used against you. So, if they have no other proof that you registered late, then you are ok.