PDA

View Full Version : Ruger P95 and similar priced guns

Surfah
07-13-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm looking into a Ruger P95 for myself and wife for home defense. Does anyone have any experience, good/bad, with it? Can anyone recommend other guns in a similar price range?

Thanks!

JTsanchez
07-13-2010, 10:49 PM
I believe the P95 falls under the "best bang for your buck" category

bballwizard05
07-13-2010, 10:49 PM
I have put 100 rounds through one, and currently am serving my ten day wait to get my own. Since I have very recently gone through the thought process you are having I feel I may be able to weigh in a bit. You can get a lightly used one on gunbroker (or here) for around 250-275 and at that price I dont think you can beat it. If you are going to get a brand new one, then your entering into the same price range as a new Taurus revolver (you didn't mention being against revolvers) and even some other lightly used "higher end" guns such as XD's, glocks, and even berreta's. From what I have read, heard, experienced, I have had some people who own kimbers tell me they still use a Ruger p89 or p95 for home defense because it goes bang EVERYTIME and you can feed it anything. To me its like the AK of handguns, can't go wrong.

nimbus
07-13-2010, 10:54 PM
I have one with about 3000 rounds through it. Works all the time and is pretty accurate up to 20-25 yards. I've shot all sorts of ammo through it including hollow points and it just works. Just practice with it and you'll be good to go.

STROLLER
07-14-2010, 12:31 AM
The p95 has my first hand gun and it was great from me. I did however have some problems with mine, but I was not cleaning or oiling properly so it was my fault not the guns. All in all I still take it to the range even though I have other 9mm's. If you look around you can find some good deals on some real nice guns. I love my FNP9, but I did pay almost twice the price for it. Way better than the s&w SIGMA thats in that price range.

SDRuger
07-14-2010, 4:24 AM
The P95 was my first gun purchase a couple years ago. I did a lot of research on lower price point guns. Since it was my first for home defense i did not want to spend an Arm and a Leg but of course i wanted a reliable durable gun. You will get it with a P95. I have a few thousand rounds through my P95 now and have only had 1 FTE the whole time. I also have a friend who went shooting with me and shot my P95. When i told him where and how much i got it for he went and picked one up the next day(or 10 days laters :rolleyes:)

Rob454
07-14-2010, 4:30 AM
Great, reasonably priced, very reliable guns. They may not be as sexy as Glocks Sigs Kimbers and HKs but they wil go bang everytime and wont break the bank doing it

ZX-10R
07-14-2010, 7:01 AM
Good enough for home defense and well made. A friend has one and we do good with it at targets. At closer range it is good.

CALATRAVA
07-14-2010, 7:28 AM
For a solid gun in a good caliber, i've not seen anything better. In .380acp, there is the bersa thunder, which as a close-in, light recoil gun is a very good value.

robcoe
07-14-2010, 7:51 AM
Basically all Ruger Firearms are good weapons for their price range. I own a GP100 and a 10/22 and with the GP I think I could use it as a hammer and it wouldn't have a problem shooting afterwords.

They are not as sleek as something like a glock or sig, but they are just as reliable as either of them.

WWDHD?
07-14-2010, 8:01 AM
I think the P95 is the best pistol for the money. Anything for less $$$ (new) I would think is getting into the junk gun catigory. I have an all blue DA/SA. I'm not crazy about the silver slide version but thats just me.
Pros: I paid arount $340 for mine last Nov. American made. Lifetime warrenty. Very solid build. Good acuracy. Soft recoil.
Con: Sights are small. Trigger pull a little long. Some parts a little rough looking but this does not affect the functioning of this gun, just looks.
My gun was VERY tight when new. It takes about 250+ rounds to break in. At first it didn't like UMC ammo. Sometimes it wouldn't lock open on last round. Winchester worked great. The manual says any ammo (+p or +P+ ok) is fine to use.
Overall a great first gun that will last a LONG time! I'm suprised they still make this with the SR9 out now.

Good luck!

GŁnter
07-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Reliable and durable pistol, one can trust to defend their life with in most cases. I dont like its mushy trigger and short sight radius - not the best features for bullseye target shooting, but it will work for home defense, and cant complain with its affordable price.

civilsnake
07-14-2010, 12:13 PM
I have nothing bad to say about the Ruger P series pistols. I've not shot the P95, but I feel safe recommending it based on my experience with the P85 and P90. Utterly reliable and rugged. I don't know that I'd want to carry one because they're not small or slim, but for HD or range fun they're awesome.

Masterdebater
07-14-2010, 12:23 PM
went to pick one up last week but found the used xd for just a few more pennies. im taking a friend today to try to convince him to buy one instead. i say go for it

Flouncer
07-14-2010, 4:48 PM
Also My first handgun purchase since my first and only, back in 1996. I had to get the Stainless slide, no one had a Blue/blue. So, my first new pistol in more than a decade, and there are 7 days wait left. My reasons were the same as yours, inexpensive and relaible useable handgun to reaquint myself and wife to pistolery. Made in USA is a plus. Mine is with the Stainless slide and went OTD $432 including DROS and Ca sales tax.

First choice was a Stoeger/Nee Beretta Cougar but the Stoeger is not on the Ca list. The Beretta was too much $$$. Never did get any meaningful info on the FMK so when the Mrs. had a moment of weakness for my birthday present I swooped in and out as fast as I could. Really really really looking forward to shooting again.:patriot::patriot:

PsychGuy274
07-14-2010, 6:20 PM
P95 was my first handgun. It's reliable and really fun to shoot. There's nothing special about it; nothing fancy; it's a handgun and shoots bullets. Plain and simple. I love it.

However, if you have the extra cash get the SR-9. That will be my next Ruger semi-auto.

Surfah
07-14-2010, 7:33 PM
Thanks for your input everyone! Looks like I'll be getting a P95

Flouncer
07-14-2010, 7:50 PM
Don't know why, but a pistol without a hammer, exposed hammer, just doesn't feel right. :confused: Spoiled by Tokkarev. :confused:

bucktooth7
07-14-2010, 9:42 PM
Since we are talking about the Ruger P series , I have a P90 .45acp. I like the gun and it fires and cycles well except for the last round in the mag sometimes does not chamber. After shooting about 500 rounds I noticed a gouge in the frame directly below the feed ramp. As time went on and more rounds were shot it became larger. It appears the sharp edge of the mag follower was digging in on that spot. I sent it back to Ruger and they filed that area out and claimed they shot 20 rounds and the problem was gone. They also ground the mag follower on the 2 mags that came with the gun. I determined this as it it is easy to see that the steel had turned blue on the mag follower. I fired 100 rounds and the gouge is back.
The easy solution to this is as I was advised from fellow Cal Gunners was to go to a plastic mag follower and spring. The bad part is that it reduces the mag capicity from 8 rounds to 7. Or send it back to the factory ,AGAIN. Anyone else had this problem?

knucklehead0202
07-14-2010, 9:57 PM
i have a p97 which i believe is very similar, but in .45 of course. anyhow, i wouldn't trade it for 5 glocks or xd's. the ruger isn't the most beautiful gun, but i think it looks better than a glock(so does a brown pinto) or an xd, and the rugers will digest anything you put through them. they're not quirky, the controls are natural, and if you need to see targets you'll give me a good excuse to go to the range again and punch some holes. i'm a way better rifle shooter than pistol shooter and my ruger makes me look pretty damn good. go for it i say.

Dhena81
07-15-2010, 1:21 AM
How much does a new p95 cost anyways I would save a couple more bucks and buy a glock 17 these go for cheap at around 500 when on sale 525 when there not.

With the glock if you ever wanted to sell it you would A sell it quicker B get more money for it. Nothing against ruger my boss has a p89 and he can't find magazines for it anymore Glocks on the other hand have not changed much since they were introduced. FYI most of my handguns are Sigs and HK's I have 2 glocks and they are great guns the best IMHO for the money.

redhemi
07-15-2010, 7:34 AM
The P95 is a good basic gun to start with it's reliable and eats most everything you feed it. My buddy has one and I can't tell you how many rounds are through it but I do know when it's getting shot it has never had any problems. Keep a eye on Turners ads when the P95 is on sale they go around $325 or less. Dhena81 your boss shouldn't be having any problems finding mags the same mag fits all Ruger P guns for 9MM. Redhemi

civilsnake
07-15-2010, 7:54 AM
How much does a new p95 cost anyways I would save a couple more bucks and buy a glock 17 these go for cheap at around 500 when on sale 525 when there not.

The P95 can be had for low $300s as compared to low $500s for a Glock. That's a pretty significant increase in price. It the features on the Glock are what the OP wants, then a Ruger will not satisfy. However, if the OP just needs a defensive pistol for around the house, the Ruger makes a lot of sense and is huge value for the money.

As for other things in the price range, all I can think of would be Taurus, and between the two, I'd go Ruger every day.

scidx
07-15-2010, 2:22 PM
Nothing against ruger my boss has a p89 and he can't find magazines for it anymore

Go to any website that sells magazines and search for Ruger p89. Midway has them; as well as Cheaper Than Dirt (just to name some big ones).

RedFord150
07-15-2010, 3:33 PM
...As for other things in the price range, all I can think of would be Taurus, and between the two, I'd go Ruger every day.

I sold my Ruger P85 several years ago and I regretted the decision the day after I shipped the gun. The new owner sent me an e-mail after he got to shoot it and told me loved the gun and had no idea why I would have sold it.
I sold my Taurus .38 revolver several years ago and I have NEVER regretted it.
I still own 3 Ruger revolvers. They will never be sold ;-).

cindynles
07-15-2010, 5:30 PM
The P95 is a good basic gun to start with it's reliable and eats most everything you feed it. My buddy has one and I can't tell you how many rounds are through it but I do know when it's getting shot it has never had any problems. Keep a eye on Turners ads when the P95 is on sale they go around $325 or less. Dhena81 your boss shouldn't be having any problems finding mags the same mag fits all Ruger P guns for 9MM. Redhemi

It's on sale now in the current Turners ad, 7/16-7/22. $329

http://www.turners.com/engage/displayads.php

Flouncer
07-15-2010, 5:37 PM
It the features on the Glock are what the OP wants, then a Ruger will not satisfy

I could be mistaken, but I thought the beauty of the Glock was the Lack of features.

One other thing:

Ruger = :patriot:

Chief-7700
07-15-2010, 5:50 PM
I sold my Ruger P85 several years ago and I regretted the decision the day after I shipped the gun. The new owner sent me an e-mail after he got to shoot it and told me loved the gun and had no idea why I would have sold it.
I sold my Taurus .38 revolver several years ago and I have NEVER regretted it.
I still own 3 Ruger revolvers. They will never be sold ;-).

P-85s are ugly! However they are built like a tank and go bang everytime the trigger is pulled. I will never sell mine.

ROTC sniper
07-15-2010, 6:26 PM
I bought the P95 for $299 at Turners in January. It's a very basic gun that goes bang with anything I feed it. It has the DA/SA trigger which takes a little getting used to. The first pull is real heavy with the follow up pulls very light.

You have to practice your double taps with it because if you're not used to the two different triggers, it's a little more difficult to keep on target. Very reliable but if you are going to buy new, I would save a little more and buy a used glock. Why? If you're going to keep for home defense, you as the primary shooter will know to rack the slide and chamber a round in a stressful situation but if you're wife is going to use it also and isn't used to it, may not know to chamber a round.

With a Glock, you can leave it chambered and just pull the trigger. The safeties are all on all the time. There's no thinking about it. You could also leave a round chambered in the Ruger but should put the safety on. Again, just another thing to think of in a high stress environment.

Resell value also is a consideration...well maybe not, but upgrading should be.

I have both as well as many others. The Ruger I use for new shooters to bang around with and my Glocks I use to compete with. Either way, both fine pistols. Good luck..shopping is half the fun.

railroader
07-15-2010, 7:19 PM
I bought the P95 for $299 at Turners in January. It's a very basic gun that goes bang with anything I feed it. It has the DA/SA trigger which takes a little getting used to. The first pull is real heavy with the follow up pulls very light.

You have to practice your double taps with it because if you're not used to the two different triggers, it's a little more difficult to keep on target. Very reliable but if you are going to buy new, I would save a little more and buy a used glock. Why? If you're going to keep for home defense, you as the primary shooter will know to rack the slide and chamber a round in a stressful situation but if you're wife is going to use it also and isn't used to it, may not know to chamber a round.

With a Glock, you can leave it chambered and just pull the trigger. The safeties are all on all the time. There's no thinking about it. You could also leave a round chambered in the Ruger but should put the safety on. Again, just another thing to think of in a high stress environment.

Resell value also is a consideration...well maybe not, but upgrading should be.

I have both as well as many others. The Ruger I use for new shooters to bang around with and my Glocks I use to compete with. Either way, both fine pistols. Good luck..shopping is half the fun.

It's funny because my thinking is opposite of yours for home defense. My p95 is a decocker only so it doesn't have a safety. I keep it loaded decocked which is good for my wife if she needs to use it. She can just point and shoot. The heavy double action is safe enough. I also had a glock which would be fine for me but I was leery of leaving it loaded for my wife with the lighter trigger. The glock would definitely have to be in a holster if it was left loaded. The other option with the glock would be with a loaded mag in it but no round chambered. But then I was afraid my wife would forget to chamber a round if needed. That's why I like my p95, totally simple. Mark

Surfah
07-15-2010, 7:57 PM
Can anyone recommend a where to purchase Ruger p95 up in the bay area?

Nate74
07-15-2010, 8:14 PM
Another P95 fan here. I got mine at Turner's about 5 years ago. Even with a 92 and a XD, I found myself shooting the P95 more than the other two combined. Sold the XD but won't be selling the Ruger : )

morfeeis
09-06-2010, 12:20 PM
It's funny because my thinking is opposite of yours for home defense. My p95 is a decocker only so it doesn't have a safety. I keep it loaded decocked which is good for my wife if she needs to use it. She can just point and shoot. The heavy double action is safe enough. I also had a glock which would be fine for me but I was leery of leaving it loaded for my wife with the lighter trigger. The glock would definitely have to be in a holster if it was left loaded. The other option with the glock would be with a loaded mag in it but no round chambered. But then I was afraid my wife would forget to chamber a round if needed. That's why I like my p95, totally simple. Mark
Thats what my thinking was.......

----------------------

Now for my question, ok so i have a p95 almost out of 10 day hold and need to know something. so say i slap in a mag and dont rack the slide back or anything will the SA trigger chamber a round for me? what i'm trying to ask is if i just slap a mag in and pull the trigger will it go bang or do i have to rack and then pull?

Chief-7700
09-06-2010, 12:26 PM

----------------------

Now for my question, ok so i have a p95 almost out of 10 day hold and need to know something. so say i slap in a mag and dont rack the slide back or anything will the SA trigger chamber a round for me? what i'm trying to ask is if i just slap a mag in and pull the trigger will it go bang or do i have to rack and then pull?

No the single action trigger will not chamber a round for you, going to have to rack the slide in order to chamber a round. A question like you asked leads me to believe that you need some instruction on how a operated a semi-auto handgun safely.

Fishslayer
09-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Or send it back to the factory ,AGAIN. Anyone else had this problem?

Yup. Same gun, same problems. And I had four magazines from 2 different sources.

I understand the Wilson Combat kit has 8rd capacity & plastic follower.

However, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Ruger bottom feeder. Generally solid, reliable & accurate enough. And in the event of something wrong (Ruger seems to have some pretty pizz poor QA) their customer service is A+.

railroader
09-06-2010, 12:30 PM

----------------------

You have to rack the slide to chamber a round. You then can decock the gun or fire it single action. To fire it double action after you decock make sure the safety lever is in the up position. Mark

Flouncer
09-06-2010, 2:12 PM
400 rounds through mine so far and not a single cycling firing error. The grip is supposed to be large, fat, but I have average sized hands and am quite used to it. :)

morfeeis
09-06-2010, 2:48 PM
No the single action trigger will not chamber a round for you, going to have to rack the slide in order to chamber a round. A question like you asked leads me to believe that you need some instruction on how a operated a semi-auto handgun safely.
kind of harsh but i'll bite....

This will be my first SA/DA pistol and with the range time this system will get i'm sure i'll be fine, but thanks for the answer.

morfeeis
09-06-2010, 2:51 PM
You have to rack the slide to chamber a round. You then can decock the gun or fire it single action. To fire it double action after you decock make sure the safety lever is in the up position. Mark
Thanks thats what i thought as it didn't make any sense that the trigger alone would chamber a round but i thought better to ask and be sure then anything else.......

Chief-7700
09-06-2010, 3:07 PM
Harsh yes! But your not playing with cap guns.
Read the instruction manual and be safe.