PDA

View Full Version : bison birth-control

sideshowhr
07-13-2010, 3:59 PM
i read about this a while back and just stumbled upon another article on it. thought i'd share.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125866760056656381.html

After the first year, one dose every 12 months is all it takes to keep PZP working, he says. If the bison population starts getting too low, the conservancy can reduce the numbers of females that receive the vaccine. The program will cost roughly $200,000 over five years, with the group In Defense of Animals picking up a quarter of the tab and the Offield Family Foundation paying another $107,000.

i'll tell you what's slightly cheaper and far more more efficient at bison population control:

.338 :)

popndrop
07-13-2010, 4:05 PM
Since when did we get a Bison Problem? I mean, its not like we can go hunt them on public lands here, right? so why are they limiting their expansion? These G-- Damn Idiots kill me sometimes...
Bison were here in huge numbers before we came along, why not let them build back up...

bjl333
07-13-2010, 4:09 PM
They should relocate the young adults ... just let'em breed and round'em up when they are old enough, and leave a couple for breeding !!!

Or get people to adopt them !!! LOL ...

LloydXmas250
07-13-2010, 6:03 PM
The article said they're looking for a high-tech solution. High-tech = expensive. They should just auction off the right to hunt them and they would probably make money. What is it with this state and spending money? I don't understand.

sideshowhr
07-14-2010, 12:05 AM
^looking for a "humane" way to take control of the situation.

so they decided on developing birth control. for bison. as opposed to, as you so graciously put it, let hunters take care of the situation. win/win if you ask me. provide meat for the hunter and his family, control the population, don't spend thousands upon thousands developing birth-control.

Cougar125
07-14-2010, 1:27 AM
Just when I thought I'd seen it all...WOW.

I say let us shoot them.

LloydXmas250
07-14-2010, 9:10 AM
^looking for a "humane" way to take control of the situation.

What's more humane? Taking the life of a bison quickly and painlessly which is natural because animals die in nature, or pumping it full of unnatural chemicals to take away one of its only two functions in life. All they want to do is eat and reproduce and now they can't do that. The whole reason they're over populating the area is because they have no predator there. Allow hunters to pay for the chance to harvest some and the population goes down. Quick, cheap, easy.

professionalcoyotehunter
07-14-2010, 11:56 AM
I am population control in a 230gr pill.

77bawls
07-14-2010, 2:02 PM
I had a bison burger for lunch today, it was really good. :D

packnrat
07-15-2010, 2:18 AM
no matter what named source of the moneys it all comes from our taxes.

just auction off a small number of hunt tags. great way for the state/feds to make some cash.
do the same for mt lions, goats etc (name your prey).

paid hunting. now here is a great cash cow for the tax coffers.

VaderSpade
07-16-2010, 10:21 AM
I have hunted Goats & Pigs on Catalina Island with my bow back in the 80’s. My first close encounter with a BIG BULL buffalo was during one of those hunts.
I was hiking fast up a fence line with my head down trying to put some distance between me and the other hunters at first light. Something stopped me and told me to look up. The bull was 7 yards away. I backed out very slowly, jumped the fence and kept going. We were told at the time we could hunt a bull Buffalo for $4,000.00, and that the money would be used to bring in a young bull form Wyoming to guard against too much inbreeding. I guess things have changed.