PDA

View Full Version : Holster or AOW?

NSR500
07-13-2010, 3:15 PM
Is this considered a Holster, or is it an AOW because the gun can be fired while in the holster?

http://rdpersonalprotection.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/Ramsey_7__Keltec.80103822_std.JPG

PolishMike
07-13-2010, 3:17 PM
Pretty sure those are illegal in CA

SLO1911Fan
07-13-2010, 3:23 PM
That's an AOW. Its similar to the one made of the NAA mini revolvers. They're illegal here, but I think they'd be great if you lived in a free state...

NSR500
07-13-2010, 3:29 PM
But...

If I get the AOW tax stamp, I could use it in California, right?
AOWs are legal in California.

Rogue187
07-13-2010, 3:34 PM
This really doesn't appear to be a AOW..in the past the definition was one that concealed as a whole..
NAA mini's were concealed within the entire wallet and the only thing visible was the cylinder cut and trigger cutout.

This one doesn't conceal the slide and the gun is visible..you really have to check CA PC 12020 on this one..This ones rides that fine line...but from outward appearances it looks legal.. Nothing conceals the whole gun..

Check the codes first..

Turo
07-13-2010, 3:44 PM
IIRC the CA penal code says that "wallet guns" are illegal.

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
or in the state prison:
(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the
state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives,
lends, or possesses any cane gun or wallet gun, any undetectable
firearm, any firearm which is not immediately recognizable as a
firearm, any camouflaging firearm container, any ammunition which
contains or consists of any flechette dart, any bullet containing or
carrying an explosive agent, any ballistic knife, any multiburst
trigger activator, any nunchaku, any short-barreled shotgun, any
short-barreled rifle, any metal knuckles, any belt buckle knife, any
leaded cane, any zip gun, any shuriken, any unconventional pistol,
any lipstick case knife, any cane sword, any shobi-zue, any air gauge
knife, any writing pen knife, any metal military practice
handgrenade or metal replica handgrenade, or any instrument or weapon
of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy,
sandclub, sap, or sandbag.

It appears to me that's what that is. I dunno how a DA would see it.

NSR500
07-13-2010, 3:45 PM
IIRC the CA penal code says that "wallet guns" are illegal.

It appears to me that's what that is. I dunno how a DA would see it.

Leave it to California to be the "Wet Blanket" once again.

Toolbox X
07-13-2010, 9:48 PM
http://www.rdpersonalprotection.com/ruger_accessories

Grip Holster for Ruger LCP
This has got to be one of the greatest ideas for the Ruger pistol, a Grip Holster and yes it is legal.

This holster "does not conceal the appearance of the pistol. There is a hole permitting operation of the trigger." It "merely encloses the grip and trigger guard of the pistol and extends in front of the grip and below the slide. The entire slide of the pistol is exposed." It is "not subject to the provisions of 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44 or 26 U.S.C. Chapter 53." It "would not meet the definition of an 'any other weapon' in section 5845(e) of title 26 U.S.C.."

The Ruger pistol slides into the holster from the top, which makes it a modified grip. Insert your index finger into the Trigger Guard area, your middle finger into the hole and you're all set. Add our magazine Finger Grip Extension to get an even better grip and you are ready for anything.

This item will leave no "printing" at all and will not slow you down or get in the way when you draw, like a regular pocket holster might. We have sold hundreds of these already to people and they love them and you will too.

We have shown the holster with a Ruger LCP inserted for carry. The magazine catch is easily accessible as well as the magazine for reloading. The holster adds thickness to the grip, which will help some people to get a better grip on the pistol.

This holster will also fit the Kel-Tec, Jennings and Seacamp pocket pistols.

Made in the U.S.A. with Live Oak Leather outside and foam composite spacer insert.

Color: Black

CLICK TO PURCHASE Price $40.00

FREE SHIPPING!!!

Fate
07-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Toolbox X, it's the CA Penal Code that'll get you, not USC. That's a "wallet gun" and a felony in CA (12020).As used in this section, a "wallet gun" means any firearm mounted or enclosed in a case, resembling a wallet, designed to be or capable of being carried in a pocket or purse, if the firearm may be fired while mounted or enclosed in the case.

Toolbox X
07-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Personally, if I had a CCW permit I would not be afraid to use a "wallet holster" with a pistol listed on my permit. Without a CCW I would stay away. But that's just me.

Fate
07-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Personally, if I had a CCW permit I would not be afraid to use a "wallet holster" with a pistol listed on my permit. Without a CCW I would stay away. But that's just me.

Wallet holsters don't allow you to fire with the gun enclosed. Those are legal.

The fact that this holster allows you to fire with the pistol in it makes it a "wallet gun" which is different than a wallet holster.

Flyin Brian
07-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Wallet holsters don't allow you to fire with the gun enclosed. Those are legal.

The fact that this holster allows you to fire with the pistol in it makes it a "wallet gun" which is different than a wallet holster.

Easy fix, just put a strap on it and turn it into a purse gun!! :p