PDA

View Full Version : Sac Valley negligent shot into foot?

Mstrty
07-13-2010, 3:37 PM
I just heard someone shot themselves in the foot during hot reholster in the action pistol bays. Anyone else heard this? Heard it was during a private class but have no other details.

polygunner
07-13-2010, 4:44 PM
I heard that also but don't have any details.
Things are getting exciting at Sac valley.
pg

ShooterDK
07-13-2010, 7:06 PM
Just great, gun exploding not too long ago and now this. Too many incidents recently!

Pthfndr
07-13-2010, 9:52 PM
I just heard someone shot themselves in the foot during hot reholster in the action pistol bays. Anyone else heard this? Heard it was during a private class but have no other details.

Private instructor, NRA Certified, with student. Student put his finger in the trigger guard when re-holstering and pulled the trigger before the instructor could get him to stop. They went to the range office to report the incident, and the AGM (former USMC) administered basic first aid and bandaged the wound. Student declined EMS and instructor took him to emergency room. Wound was in the webbing between toes. Student was treated and released. They came back to the range to continue.

This was not some dufus pretending to be Rambo, and they were not doing rapid fire drills. Student got careless.

Mstrty
07-14-2010, 8:41 PM
Glad to hear he is ok and got back up on his horse.

Reminds me of a time in my previous life when a manufacturer was delivering a large piece of equipment. There were ridiculous caution labels every square inch of the machine. When I commented about one of the most ridiculous caution stickers (guy wrapped up in the driveline) he looked at me and in a stern voice ensured me that EVERY decal on this piece of equipment has happened to an operator in the past and are here due to legal advice.

So this is why we have Rule #2:D

jb7706
07-17-2010, 8:47 PM
Just great, gun exploding not too long ago and now this. Too many incidents recently!

Please keep in mind a couple of things:

1. In both cases the cause of the incident was due to a shooter failing to follow established safety rules.

2. Range staff reacted immediately and appropriately in both incidents. Medical assistance was provided and evacuation from the range was rejected by the injured parties. Sacramento SO was notified of the ND incident as well.

3. While shooting is a very safe sport when all safety rules are followed all it takes is one moment of inattention for something bad to happen. There are inherent risks.

4. Literally tens of thousands of shooter visits and as many guns have passed through our doors over the past decades, with very few of these types of events having occurred. I'll compare our safety record against any ski resort, skate park, skydiving outfit or other similar sport with like volume any day. Heck, I bet some golf courses see more action in a year then we do in 5! I'm safer on a firing line than I am driving on the highway to the range.

The number of shooters that have left the range with more holes than they arrived with is exceptionally low. I can count every one I know about on one hand, and I'm pretty sure I know about them all.

Assume we see about 500 shooters a week *52 weeks/year. Our actual numbers may be higher or lower, but let's say that's close enough for our situation here. As of today if we have no more reportable incidents our incident rate would be 0.000115385%. Reportable incidents would be things like an ND causing injury to a person, a rifle blowing up (usually due to improper hand loads or wrong ammo in the gun) etc. It would not cover things like slide bites, scope kisses, skinned knees and other "kiss it better" boo boos, but even those are relatively rare.

I'll take my chances at the range any day of the week. Take me to the range, just don't crash on the way.

Gryff
07-17-2010, 10:46 PM
The number of shooters that have left the range with more holes than they arrived with is exceptionally low. I can count every one I know about on one hand, and I'm pretty sure I know about them all.

Assume we see about 500 shooters a week *52 weeks/year. Our actual numbers may be higher or lower, but let's say that's close enough for our situation here. As of today if we have no more reportable incidents our incident rate would be 0.000115385%. Reportable incidents would be things like an ND causing injury to a person, a rifle blowing up (usually due to improper hand loads or wrong ammo in the gun) etc. It would not cover things like slide bites, scope kisses, skinned knees and other "kiss it better" boo boos, but even those are relatively rare.

+1

I've been shooting IDPA pretty regularly there for five years. Not only have I never seen anyone injured due to improper/negligent gun handling, I have never seen it fail to be an environment that makes firearms safety its #1 priority.

I have no hesitations about Sac Valley, and would enthusiastically recommend the facility to both my family and closest friends.

CSDGuy
07-18-2010, 10:16 AM
With this incident, the student learned the importance of keeping the finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot. About the only things seriously wounded appear to be his pride and one of his shoes. I'm glad that there wasn't any serious injury and that he was able to return later that day and do some more training.

Southpaw45
07-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Chances are you are more safe at the range that you are when your driving to the range.

Mstrty
07-19-2010, 6:40 AM
Chances are you are more safe at the range that you are when your driving to the range.

I shoot there monthly. I totally agree about their safety record. I have no problem going to the action pistol range with my family during any match. I know we are safe. My original post was to inquire information and in NO way was intended to flame Sac Valley. I will repeat, I can personally vouch that the environment we shoot in at Sac Valley is top notch. While accidents rarely happen Its nice to know that Sac Valley has a safety procedure on hand to deal with these matters.

Ed_in_Sac
07-19-2010, 7:45 AM

That's probably quite true!!!

Freagan
07-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Sounds like the Sac Valley range reacted appropriately and in a quick and professional manner, kudos to them!