PDA

View Full Version : Long distance shooting tips?

j1133s
07-13-2010, 9:11 AM
I'm thinking about shooting a long distance pistol match and would like some tips.

This match shoots .22LR out to 100 yds and from pics the shooters use scoped TC Contenders. I plan to use an open sighted (irons) semi auto pistol. Due to the large equipment differential, I don't expect to be winning anything but I just want to do a long distance pistol match.

I've shoot a lot of .22LR at 100 yards out of a scoped rifle, so I'm somewhat familiar w/.22LR ammo performance. I'm mainly looking for pistol (open sights) tips/tricks. The shooting will be off hand.

Also, if any SF bay area folks would like to meet up:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=321161

9mmepiphany
07-13-2010, 9:59 AM
trigger control is the same at any range and is the ultimate factor in your ability to place rounds on target.

were you planning on sighting-in at 100 yards or just using holdover?...yes i know it is a misnomer

in either event, you'd be better off using a slower/heavier slug than a faster one

j1133s
07-13-2010, 10:08 AM
trigger control is the same at any range and is the ultimate factor in your ability to place rounds on target.

were you planning on sighting-in at 100 yards or just using holdover?...yes i know it is a misnomer

in either event, you'd be better off using a slower/heavier slug than a faster one

Will adjust the sights. Hold over is not an option in this match (if it is anything similar to its rifle match siblings that I've shot many times).

There's more to it than trigger control when firing to 100yds. I need help and if possible a spotting partner for the match. However, trigger control is important; I've shot TC Contenders before... they are potent w/ 1.5lb triggers w/ an immediate crisp break.

I plan to use 40gr standard velocity match-grade ammo that I've tested out of this gun to 100 yards. I just ordered the ammo so am expecting to practice next week. I'll order some 60gr ammo to check, I've never tried anything other than 40gr.

novabrian
07-13-2010, 10:12 AM
I can teach you how to curve the bullet but you have to buy some of my targets.

BigDogatPlay
07-13-2010, 12:06 PM
Didn't mention make of gun or barrel length. Those are going to be factors.

If the standard velocity match ammo is working for the OP, then I won't argue with success. But I can't imagine a 40 grain standard velocity out of less than a close to rifle length barrel is going to handle the wind very well.

That said... the shoot sounds like a lot of fun.

forgiven
07-14-2010, 1:14 AM
Just have a great time when you figure it all out.

j1133s
07-14-2010, 9:05 AM
Didn't mention make of gun or barrel length.
. But I can't imagine a 40 grain standard velocity out of less than a close to rifle length barrel is going to handle the wind very well...

Since I've only got 1 .22LR open sighted pistol: S&W M41 7".
The game is NRA pistol silhouette, so barrel is limited to ~10", so in terms of barrel, I'm not too bad. http://www.nrahq.org/compete/silhouette.asp

I'm definitely at a disadvantage in terms of equipment and I've never shot this before, so skill-wise I'll be at a disadvantage as well. However, I do have some experience w/ rifle silhouettes and do OK there, so at least I'm not new to those metal animals.

Since if looks like I'm not getting any advise here, I'll probably contact the MD to see if they host practices and if I can go zero my gun. Past experiences have been to zero guns at the match site whenever possible :)

If there're calgunners in SF bay area who'd like to try shooting a .22LR pistol in a competition, come join me, seriously. We'll have some fun knocking down metals. And if this pistol silhouette is anything like its rifle siblings, it'll be a low key, relaxing and socializing match. You'll learn a lot. I think most of my shooting is learned on the competition firing lines.

Masterdebater
07-14-2010, 12:34 PM
dont mean to steal in anyway but how would u compare a ruger mark2 for target shooting?

j1133s
07-14-2010, 1:34 PM
dont mean to steal in anyway but how would u compare a ruger mark2 for target shooting?

A target pistol should have adjustable rear sights. I have no experience w/ the Ruger Mark2 pistol, but I have seen them on the bullseye line, so they must be pretty accurate.

I think the Ruger Mark2 and the S&W M41 will be equivalent in term of hardware for silhouette where there are no scoring rings. I believe the small targets at 4"x4" and large targets at 10"x6" and any hits on the target is fine.

Although I'm shooting for fun, but I also know when competing, you want to be as competitive as possible. Therefore, the key here (I think) is for us to shoot in the open sight division. This decreases the disparity between our semi-autos and those Contenders, i.e. change the situation to be more shooter skills vs gun.

Thefeeder
07-14-2010, 1:50 PM
There is a monthly silhouette match and league at Coyote Point Rifle and pistol Club in San Meteo.

Targets are shot at 25, 50, 75 and 100yds ...Scope and Open Sight class.

I'll make it down if you want to shoot a match. Been years since me last one.

As far as equipment...people were shooting a lot of Contenters both scoped and open, M41, High Standards.....an acurate pistol with a crisp trigger are key.

j1133s
07-14-2010, 2:10 PM
There is a monthly silhouette match and league at Coyote Point Rifle and pistol Club in San Meteo.

Targets are shot at 25, 50, 75 and 100yds ...Scope and Open Sight class.

I'll make it down if you want to shoot a match. Been years since me last one.

As far as equipment...people were shooting a lot of Contenters both scoped and open, M41, High Standards.....an acurate pistol with a crisp trigger are key.

I've sent you a PM ( hope you don't mind).

This is excellent. I plan to shoot Coyote Point smallbore pistol silhouette on 7/26; if we don't meet up before that, then I hope to see you there.

I know those distance isn't NRA official. I'm wondering if you remember if the targets are easy to knock down? (SVRGC recently (3-4yrs ago) started cowboy silhouette but their targets are not standard and hard to knock down even w/ good hits.)

BigDogatPlay
07-14-2010, 2:32 PM
The M41 should have plenty of accuracy for the game... that or a bull barreled Ruger would probably be close to the pinnacle in semi-autos for the shooting as described. A Contender in the hands of a seasoned shooter would be mighty hard to beat, but the idea of that game with a solid S&W Model 17 or 617 is also intriguing.

I'm going to have to make it down for that match some month for a look see, the game interests me.

Black_Talon
07-14-2010, 5:05 PM
New IHMSA forums:

http://www.ihmsa.net/forum/forum.php

Earlier IHMSA forum:

http://forum1.aimoo.com/IHMSA/

Specialty Pistol Forums. Lon-range-oriented, also have a silhouette forum:

http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x