PDA

View Full Version : Agent who shot himself in foot sues DEA

petey
04-14-2006, 3:20 PM
The infamous "Glock Foh-tey" agent is suing the DEA!

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/14343978.htm

ORLANDO, Fla. - A DEA agent who accidentally shot himself in the foot while demonstrating gun safety to school children is suing the agency, saying video of the incident has made him the joke of the Internet.

Lee Paige was making a presentation to children at the Orlando Youth Minority Golf Association on April 9, 2004, when he shot himself. Moments before the shooting, the 14-year agency veteran was displaying his firearm and telling students he was the only one in the room professional enough to handle a gun.

He was suspended for five days without pay after the accident, and the video was turned over to the Drug Enforcement Administration. The lawsuit filed April 7 in federal court in Washington alleges the agency leaked the video to the public.

After it surfaced, the tape soon became popular on the Internet. It aired on television, including late-night talk shows.

Paige "is the target of jokes, derision, ridicule and disparaging comments" because of the publicity, according to the lawsuit, which seeks an unspecified amount.

DEA spokeswoman Rogene Waite declined comment because of agency policy not to discuss ongoing cases.

Paige, 45, of Windermere, told NBC's "Today" show Friday he cleared the weapon but forgot to release the magazine.

"I was at the point of attempting to demonstrate how the gun could be disassembled and put back together," Paige said. "It is something I had done hundreds of times throughout my career."

Paige, a former player for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, said he can't work undercover anymore because of the tape.

"Yesterday I walk into a salon and a young lady made mention to me I was the person that shot myself on TV," Paige told NBC. "It is something I can't get away from."

TonyM
04-14-2006, 3:26 PM

ORLANDO, Fla. - A DEA agent who accidentally shot himself in the foot while demonstrating gun safety to school children is suing the agency, saying video of the incident has made him the joke of the Internet.

Lee Paige was making a presentation to children at the Orlando Youth Minority Golf Association on April 9, 2004, when he shot himself. Moments before the shooting, the 14-year agency veteran was displaying his firearm and telling students he was the only one in the room professional enough to handle a gun.

He was suspended for five days without pay after the accident, and the video was turned over to the Drug Enforcement Administration. The lawsuit filed April 7 in federal court in Washington alleges the agency leaked the video to the public.

After it surfaced, the tape soon became popular on the Internet. It aired on television, including late-night talk shows.

Paige "is the target of jokes, derision, ridicule and disparaging comments" because of the publicity, according to the lawsuit, which seeks an unspecified amount.

DEA spokeswoman Rogene Waite declined comment because of agency policy not to discuss ongoing cases.

Paige, 45, of Windermere, told NBC's "Today" show Friday he cleared the weapon but forgot to release the magazine.

"I was at the point of attempting to demonstrate how the gun could be disassembled and put back together," Paige said. "It is something I had done hundreds of times throughout my career."

Paige, a former player for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, said he can't work undercover anymore because of the tape.

"Yesterday I walk into a salon and a young lady made mention to me I was the person that shot myself on TV," Paige told NBC. "It is something I can't get away from."

Hmm...

First, I didn't know his name, or where he was from until now.

Second, The Salon woman must have gotten the High-Def version of the footage, every version I've seen has been so blurry I don't think I could make him out, except the hair, but a haircut could fix that... :rolleyes:

I guess he saw the opportunity to get the all mighty dollar from us and decided to go for it. :mad:

natrab
04-14-2006, 3:32 PM
That's hilarious. I remember that video from a while ago. I didn't know who it was until now. I don't think he realized how much he just spread news of that incident. Now everyone knows his name and where he lives too!

and +1 on the video being too blurry for me to recognize him if I saw him in public.

taloft
04-14-2006, 3:33 PM
He shot himself in public. What did he think was going to happen? If it is good enough for Dick Cheney, it's good enough for you. He is lucky the parents didn't sue him for endangerment of the children, or for the "psychological trauma" inflicted on them. Dude, you're the new poster child for what not to do with a gun. It sucks to be you. Don't blame others for your mistakes.

It's really not funny, but I can't help but laugh when I see the grainy net video.:p Of course, I'm sick like that.

FreedomIsNotFree
04-14-2006, 4:00 PM
Well you have to show the video......

http://media.putfile.com/03084899

I love the part when he says "I'm the only one trained here to use this here gun..."

Gotta love it!

CalNRA
04-14-2006, 4:56 PM
I can make out his face pretty well. He probably had the same shirt and hair cut when he walked into the bar...

At least he kept his cool with his foot shot the hwole time...

natrab
04-14-2006, 5:10 PM
Yeah, I'll admit he was pretty good at shaking off getting shot in the foot without throwing out some curse words. I know my mouth would turn ugly if I got shot in the foot.

ohsmily
04-14-2006, 5:41 PM
This guy is a disgusting, stupid, pig who forgot one of the most important steps in clearing an automatic pistol....first...remove the magazine and is now suing his agency. WE ALL KNOW that ejecting a round from the chamber with a loaded magazine in the gun just chambers another round. It is so intuitive for responsible gun owners. The fact that he forgot shows what an idiot he is and either how poorly trained he was or how little he paid attention during training....idiots like him inspire loathesome loaded chamber indicator laws...

disgusting pig.

Jeff Rambo
04-14-2006, 5:53 PM
This guy is a disgusting, stupid, pig who forgot one of the most important steps in clearing an automatic pistol....first...remove the magazine and is now suing his agency. WE ALL KNOW that ejecting a round from the chamber with a loaded magazine in the gun just chambers another round. It is so intuitive for responsible gun owners. The fact that he forgot shows what an idiot he is and either how poorly trained he was or how little he paid attention during training....idiots like him inspire loathesome loaded chamber indicator laws...

disgusting pig.

What's really on your mind?

CTT2
04-14-2006, 7:01 PM
There should be a stupidity clause somewhere in his contract that says he is liable for himself if he shoots himself. What an idiot.

6172crew
04-14-2006, 7:09 PM

LOL:D

Its a fact that most coppers have good safety practices when handling firearms but this guy was one for the books.

If I havent been in my safe for a month I always take my time checking to make sure I didnt leave somthing loaded and just getting familar with the action/safety etc before handing it over to anyone.

Mr. Ed
04-14-2006, 7:24 PM

disgusting pig.

What makes him a disgusting, stupid, pig?

NeoWeird
04-14-2006, 7:30 PM
If I were the DEA I would counter sue for fraudulent charges.

A trained veteran DEA agent forgetting to do the first, and most important and stressed, step to clearing a weapon then shoots himself and claims it's an accident? Uh, if the mag was in there, he had to physically push the slide lock up (and would instantly know it was loaded), he also is just holding the gun and pushes the slide release down (letting him know it is chambered) and proceeds to point at one of the least fatal parts of his body, pulls the trigger, and remains calm as if anticipating it al the while knowing it is being filmed? Sounds fishy to me...

(ps. I had forgotten all about this video until I saw it again like 2 months ago, it was that long ago. If he really wanted to disappear, he could have, and in 6 months no one would even remember his name or face.)

artherd
04-14-2006, 9:37 PM
...bleeding on children?

The fact that he has HR218 national carry, and you and I don't, is a disgusting travesty.

The hiprocrocy is a mile deep.

jerryg1776
04-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Lets see - HE SHOT HIS OWN FOOT and wants to sue the agancy.. maybe he should sue himself. The video should not have leaked - find out who did it and fire them.

Better yet - give him an award for such a great demo - now lots of people n the internet know how dangerous an "unloaded" gun can be.

Unsafe gun handling just doesn't happen by accident - its predicated by habit and lack of awareness.

rodgster
04-14-2006, 10:23 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself!

ohsmily
04-14-2006, 10:39 PM

Because he is a perfect example for the anti-gun groups to prove that guns are dangerous, complicated items that require more restriction and built in safety mechanisms. What's worse is that it actually works...the average person sees this and thinks "wow, if a highly trained DEA agent can mistakenly fire his gun in a room full of children b/c he didn't know it was loaded, just think what a normal gun owner might inadvertantly do to the people around him." What he should have done was make another video explaining what an incredible dumbass he was for not performing the SIMPLE task of clearing his gun and how he doesn't deserve to carry a gun in the line of duty (and maybe not even own guns after an accident of this magnitude...can you imagine if he had hit and/or killed one of the kids...oh my god!!!)

P.S. I didn't use the term "pig" as a derogatory term against police officers, I just meant that he is filthy bastard who contributes to the abrogation of everyone else's gun rights.

gmcem50
04-14-2006, 11:43 PM
Because he is a perfect example for the anti-gun groups to prove that guns are dangerous, complicated items that require more restriction and built in safety mechanisms. What's worse is that it actually works...the average person sees this and thinks "wow, if a highly trained DEA agent can mistakenly fire his gun in a room full of children b/c he didn't know it was loaded, just think what a normal gun owner might inadvertantly do to the people around him." What he should have done was make another video explaining what an incredible dumbass he was for not performing the SIMPLE task of clearing his gun and how he doesn't deserve to carry a gun in the line of duty (and maybe not even own guns after an accident of this magnitude...can you imagine if he had hit and/or killed one of the kids...oh my god!!!)

P.S. I didn't use the term "pig" as a derogatory term against police officers, I just meant that he is filthy bastard who contributes to the abrogation of everyone else's gun rights.

+1,000. I couldn't have said it better myself!

Rumpled
04-15-2006, 12:08 AM
That "agent" is a fool and a tool. He claims that the leak of that video prevents him from being undercover. Hello! How about the windbreaker that screams POLICE and DEA. That alone ended his uncercover career.
As drunk as I am right now, (whoo hoo Friday nite) I know to clear every weapon I touch, even if I just saw you clear it. And twice just for good measure.
"I'm the only one professional enough to type at this keyboard right now."

Muzz
04-15-2006, 6:13 AM
How many kids did he inflict psycological damage upon? I'm not talking the sleepless night kind of damage but the "reasonable gun safety" future voter kind of damage.

Just great.

paradox
04-15-2006, 6:14 AM
First off, the guy was/is an idiot for commiting an ND in front of the kids (why in the hell did he bring any live rounds in the classroom). Also the video was damn funny: "I'm the only one in this room professional enough to have this gun ... BANG."

With that said, this episode shows the biggest flaw in Glock's design: you have to pull the trigger to field strip the gun. The moron DEA agent said on the Today Show that he was trying to take apart the gun when he shot himself. It is still his own damn fault for not properly clearing his weapon, but the same thing has happened before: http://thegunzone.com/nd.html. Glocks are often touted as being so simple a cop could use them, no safeties to confuse and the same trigger pull every time. Yet they require the trigger to be pulled to field strip. If you designed a gun for a simpleton who is unable to grasp the concept of a manual safety, why in the hell would you force them to pull the trigger to field strip? You know some idiot will eventually drop the striker on a chambered round....

CSkyhawk72
04-15-2006, 7:55 AM
I wonder if he's still employed at the DEA?

Kinda scary, the type of people we have "protecting" us! :D

Paladin
04-15-2006, 8:27 AM

ORLANDO, Fla. - <snip> Paige, a former player for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, said he can't work undercover anymore because of the tape.

If the DEA ever planned on using him for undercover work in the future, they would never have let him represent the DEA in "uniform" at a public forum, much less one that was being taped. He was probably used by the DEA for special events at schools because he was also a sports "hero" and the kids would admire and respect him more than they would a regular agent. :rolleyes: (BTW "sports scholarship" is an oxymoron.)

He jumped off his pedestal, no one pushed him. He is ticked because he's now seen as being a mere mortal, a man (not a "pig") who has made a foolish but serious mistake in public.

Public humiliation, whether one's own fault or caused by another, is never enjoyable.

Clodbuster
04-17-2006, 12:00 PM
He's being transferred to CIA so that he can go undercover and train Iraqi Insurgents on the proper use of firearms.

Clod

I wonder if he's still employed at the DEA?

Kinda scary, the type of people we have "protecting" us! :D

Clodbuster
04-17-2006, 12:05 PM
What big flaw? He still had the magazine in the gun when he was trying to field strip it...When half the weight of your firearm is still there, and you don't notice it, how can a gun design be at fault? No manufacturer can make a design that compensates for sheer stupidity.
Not to defend Glock in any way, since I'm a Beretta man :D

Clod

First off, the guy was/is an idiot for commiting an ND in front of the kids (why in the hell did he bring any live rounds in the classroom). Also the video was damn funny: "I'm the only one in this room professional enough to have this gun ... BANG."

With that said, this episode shows the biggest flaw in Glock's design: you have to pull the trigger to field strip the gun. The moron DEA agent said on the Today Show that he was trying to take apart the gun when he shot himself. It is still his own damn fault for not properly clearing his weapon, but the same thing has happened before: http://thegunzone.com/nd.html. Glocks are often touted as being so simple a cop could use them, no safeties to confuse and the same trigger pull every time. Yet they require the trigger to be pulled to field strip. If you designed a gun for a simpleton who is unable to grasp the concept of a manual safety, why in the hell would you force them to pull the trigger to field strip? You know some idiot will eventually drop the striker on a chambered round....

ghettoshecky
04-17-2006, 6:47 PM

well he's probably not alone in thinking that, lol:rolleyes:

Boomer1961
04-17-2006, 7:02 PM
Why has no one commented till now (and that's me) that this fella after demomstrating that he does not know what he is doing, and after discharging a firearm accidently just a few feet away from small children, decides to grab another MORE POWERFUL FIREARM to play with it as well thus endangering the lives of everyone their.

I believe most LE are trained to secure the seen of a shooting. This would have entailed checking every child out individually to see if they have been shot as children have been known to sit quietly without saying anything.

At the same time all firearms should have been secured and unloaded, and this should have been done by someone else with some training, by someone other than the shooter.

The local LE should have been called immediately to investigate the shooting as it involved a person shot with a weapon, a gun at a school, a shooting at a school with small children present.

And finally either the shooter and the weapons should have been removed from the room or the children should have been evacuated to another safe location away from the shooter and his guns while at the same time the shooter should have been disarmed and seperated from any firearms.

The school then should have explained to the children what happened and then called the parents to let them know what happened so that if the child or the parent wanted them to leave the school they should have had that opportunity.

This fella definitely showed poor judgement in playing with his loaded gun in front of children, but his behaviour after putting a hole in his foot (or leg?) was criminal.

I was amazed at the fantastic common sense these children had when they said NO....NO.....NO....when this Lee guy after shooting himself with his gun and showing no concern about the health or safety of the children insists on getting out a larger and more powerful gun to play with over the strong objections of the children.

This fella should be in jail, like those who are thrown in jail for having narcotics in the house with their small children, or who have a pitball, or as I have read in the newspaper several times the parents who had their firearm accidently discharge in the presence of their children even when no one was injured, or as I personally witnessed at a gunshow a fella legally carrying a firearm having an accidental discharge and getting arrested and prosecuted for this. They call it wreckless child endangerment or such.

I wanted to say the school officials should have stopped the idiot but then again maybe none of them wanted to be a hero by confronting an arrogant individual who is heavily armed and just shot off his gun, putting a bullet into himself and not being brought down I suppose that even I would under similar circumstances and knowing what the right thing is to do would be hesitant in the confusion of the situation and not wanting to become a victim may wait till he was not armed and did not have a loaded weapon nearby before I jumped him.

But then againg if it was a right to carry state I might have just shot back and called it self defense!:D

Not really of course as I would not carry a loaded weapon in a classroom full of children.

Funny that his fella did not have the same common sense, but then again "...he was the only one in the room professional enough to handle a gun..."

Does anyone know if the DEA has changed their policy of having their grown up children bringing loaded firearms to SHOW AND TELL?

Does anyone know the office/address/contact or home address or phone number or email of this idiot?

Does anyone know the judge/contact info?

I am thinking America can let this arrogant idiot who just does not get it that he was wrong, and the only one wrong in this whole incident. It was not the evil whiteman that caused him to shoot himself in the foot, and if there is an outcry about the video it is not because it was released but because of his criminal behavior that we Americans witness on this video.

It is incredible that this person is not only NOT IN JAIL but that he still has his job and gets to sue for some wrong that was allegedly committed.

INCREDIBLE, ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!

CSkyhawk72
04-17-2006, 8:08 PM
BOOMER, a +1,000,000,000,000 to you! :D

ohsmily
04-17-2006, 8:20 PM
BOOMER, a +1,000,000,000,000 to you! :D

how many???:rolleyes:

That is the most plusses ever (trillion). A very nonplussing post because of the sheer quantity. :D

double_action
04-17-2006, 8:26 PM
Unsafe gun handling just doesn't happen by accident - its predicated by habit and lack of awareness.

Yup, negligent discharge, not accidental.

Ironballs
04-20-2006, 7:12 PM
Guy was on The Factor tonight... (O-Reilly)- not much of it-

socal57chevy
04-20-2006, 7:45 PM
Since I don't have TV I missed the entire story. Thanks for bringing me up to speed on the situation. Where's Eddie Eagle when you need him. Eddie would have flogged this guy on the spot, securing the weapon and teaching the kids true "gun control." I'm glad he got so much attention. Now, if I see him at my local grocer I can run for cover.:eek:

pilotmadrat
04-20-2006, 10:35 PM
I agree with the above posts, but one thing really jumped out at me when I saw that video. That dude is huge! Unnaturaly so I think the DEA needs a drug program, cause that dude is pumping roids. For peats sake he's twice as big as Barry Bonds and everbody knows Bonds used roids.

How the hell can someone one with such an obvous drug use history, if not present get a job with the DEA??

Might help explane why he's so dumb too!

PMR

Boomer1961
04-21-2006, 11:14 PM
I agree with the above posts, but one thing really jumped out at me when I saw that video. That dude is huge! Unnaturaly so I think the DEA needs a drug program, cause that dude is pumping roids. For peats sake he's twice as big as Barry Bonds and everbody knows Bonds used roids.

How the hell can someone one with such an obvous drug use history, if not present get a job with the DEA??

Might help explane why he's so dumb too!

PMR

That **** at the same time it pumps up your body shrinks your balls and dick proportionally the same time as well right?

So someone with big balls brought this lawsuit, so there must be a mercenary here since we know Lee Paige shrunk his balls with roid?