PDA

View Full Version : Glock Armorer in LA area

maddesign
07-13-2010, 12:04 AM
HI,
having problems with my Glock, can anyone recommend a Glock armorer in the L.A. area or smith that works with Glocks?

thanks in advance.

windrunner
07-13-2010, 7:11 AM
What are your problems? You may not need an armorer.

HighLander51
07-13-2010, 8:05 AM
99% of Glock problems are ammo/operator induced. Describe you issue, and the ammo used, I'll bet we can clear it right up....

SoCalLA
07-13-2010, 8:30 AM
I was going to post the same question, but if y'all don't mind me joining in with the problems thread, I will.

Problem: Slide not locking open when magazine is empty.

Ammo: LAX Supplied Reloads (Professionally Manufactured)

Glock: Relatively New G19 (200-300 rounds)

windrunner
07-13-2010, 8:32 AM
I was going to post the same question, but if y'all don't mind me joining in with the problems thread, I will.

Does it do it every time? Or is it intermittent?

SoCalLA
07-13-2010, 8:36 AM
Does it do it every time? Or is it intermittent?

It was fairly consistent. 85-90% of the time.

nmerced
07-13-2010, 8:45 AM
Try using brand name ammo (Remington, Winchester, etc.). More often than not, these "professionally manufactured" reloads are so weak that the slide does not go back far enough to allow the slide lock to engage.

SoCalLA
07-13-2010, 8:58 AM
Try using brand name ammo (Remington, Winchester, etc.). More often than not, these "professionally manufactured" reloads are so weak that the slide does not go back far enough to allow the slide lock to engage.

Perhaps their QC has gone down...I had never had the problem before with their .40 in my P226, but I will give the Winchester a run, and if I have the same problem I will post accordingly.

Thanks for your help.

supersonic
07-13-2010, 9:08 AM
If your slide catch/spring are intact/unbroken and are installed correctly your slide will lock back upon inserting an empty mag & then manually cycling the action. As long as this is the case, your problem is definitely underpowered ammo. If the above criteria are met, regular, good-old factory ammo will confirm this. So will handloads of your own making that are of known power (of course, as a representative of Glock, I am not suggesting the use of reloaded ammunition of any type in your Glock pistol. It voids the warranty).

Millions-Knives
07-13-2010, 9:16 AM

More information please.

Relatively new, did you buy it new or from another person?

Has the gun been taken apart? I'm thinking the slide release catch may not have been installed properly. Perhaps someone tried to do a trigger job etc.

Or other have mentioned, are you sure your thumb isn't inadvertently resting on the catch while you're shooting?

And possibly ammo as mentioned above.

maddesign
07-13-2010, 9:22 AM
OP here, attached new 3.5lb trigger connector and when I pull the trigger it does not engage.

figured it out though...the new connector needed to be bent out a little to the same angle as the oem one, took awhile to figure out, but at 3am, finally got it to work.

HighLander51
07-13-2010, 9:28 AM
"the new connector needed to be bent out a little to the same angle as the oem one"....

OP, suggest you remove the 3.5lb connector and install the factory original. I have installed hundreds of both Glock, Scherer and Ghost Rocker connectors, including New York compression unit, and never had to bend any of them. Something else is wrong. And just because you put in a 3.5lb connector doesn't translate to 1.5lb reduction in trigger pull, you have to measure it before and after with a trigger gauge, sometimes there is no reduction, sometimes .5-1.0lb, depending on the gun.

HighLander51
07-13-2010, 9:31 AM

The reloads had enough juice to run the gun to the last round, so I would look at thumbing the slide stop. There are tons of posts on both GlockTalk.com and BrianEnos.com.

windrunner
07-13-2010, 10:14 AM
It was fairly consistent. 85-90% of the time.
Another question. Are you right handed and do you ride your thumbs high with your grip?

If so, it doesn't take much pressure at all to keep the slide stop from engaging the slide if any part of your grip comes in contact with it.

I'm not ruling out a mechanical problem, but most of the time the above is the issue. A Glock has a real simple slide stop spring (more like a wire). It could be a problem there.

EDIT: I'm reiterating what others have stated. Thanks gents.

SoCalLA
07-13-2010, 10:46 AM
The G19 was purchased new. I have put 200-300 rounds through it so far. The first time out, I did not encounter a problem....ran perfectly, and I was using the same LAX ammo (apparently this is a nono with Glock (thanks Supersonic)).

This is my first Glock (Sig House), and thumbing the slide could be an explanation, I am going to head to the range this afternoon, and see if this is the case. Frankly, I will be very disappointed if this is the case, and you will probably see it in the Private Sales section as it would be easier to sell than worry about my hand placement and using a finger on the trigger guard.

Interesting article on the subject: http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2008/04/sacred-cow-gored.html

Thanks again for your help all.

HighLander51
07-13-2010, 10:54 AM
....of course, as a representative of Glock, I am not suggesting the use of reloaded ammunition of any type in your Glock pistol. It voids the warranty).

Yes, but , there are thousands of competitive shooters who run nothing but reloads in Glocks, both factory barrels and aftermarket, 100,000's of times. However, when we cook off (case rupture or kaboom) we don't blame Glock, it's just the risk you take reloading. Factory ammo has caused kabooms also, but the % is extremely low.

supersonic
07-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Yes, but , there are thousands of competitive shooters who run nothing but reloads in Glocks, both factory barrels and aftermarket, 100,000's of times. However, when we cook off (case rupture or kaboom) we don't blame Glock, it's just the risk you take reloading. Factory ammo has caused kabooms also, but the % is extremely low.

Yes, I very much know & am aware of this. Read: CYA & DISCLAIMER.:thumbsup:;)

esskay
07-13-2010, 12:28 PM
The G19 was purchased new. I have put 200-300 rounds through it so far. The first time out, I did not encounter a problem....ran perfectly, and I was using the same LAX ammo (apparently this is a nono with Glock (thanks Supersonic)).

This is my first Glock (Sig House), and thumbing the slide could be an explanation, I am going to head to the range this afternoon, and see if this is the case. Frankly, I will be very disappointed if this is the case, and you will probably see it in the Private Sales section as it would be easier to sell than worry about my hand placement and using a finger on the trigger guard.

Interesting article on the subject: http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2008/04/sacred-cow-gored.html

Thanks again for your help all.

Just wanted to add that the placement of the slide release lever on Sig's also can be sensitive to hand placement (thumb in particular). I've seen a number of shooters cause their Sigs not to lock back when empty because they were inadvertently depressing the slide release lever. I've done it myself before. For both Sigs and Glocks, there are some trainers who advocate locking the right thumb over the left (rather than both thumbs forward) to ensure this won't happen. I use thumbs forward, but between right thumb over left and left thumb over right (as shown in your link) I'd probably prefer right over left.

Whichever way you decide is better for you, this does illustrate some of the challenges of switching between weapons that have different characteristics and manual of arms. e.g. If your muscle memory on presenting & indexing your pistol comes from a lot of time behind a Sig, a Glock with its different grip angle can point quite differently.

Longbow
07-14-2010, 6:42 AM
Paul, at Fort Courage Armory in Simi, is a Glock Certified Armorer, and a great guy, at a great shop. Worth the drive.

Cheers,
Longbow

SoCalLA
07-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Gentlemen, just wanted to reiterate my thanks.

I returned from LAX this afternoon, where I ran PMC through the G19 flawlessly. I tested both grips, and while I didn't retest the reloads; I believe they were to blame for the issue.

Looks like the G19 will stick around after all.

randy
07-14-2010, 11:50 PM
Glock Armorer in Burbank call 818 237-4900. Ask for Tim Kelly

DaveFJ80
07-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Is there a Glock Armorer in the SGV area (specifically the West Covina area)? Looking to get some night sights put on, and I don't feel like buying the tool for $100 when I can pay a smith or armorer half that to put them on.

cineski
07-22-2010, 1:16 PM
Professional, heh? I've shot the LAX reloads and they have horrible power consistency.