PDA

View Full Version : Delete

gunwurkz
07-12-2010, 9:12 PM
Delete

OneSevenDeuce
07-12-2010, 9:20 PM
Loaded question (no pun intended). There are a lot of variables here. Depends on the gun you will be shooting it from, do you live in an apartment or a home? Do you have neighbors or do you live out in the boonies? FMJ or hollow point? Even after all those questions are answered you will probably get a bunch of different answers.

SixtyDashOne
07-12-2010, 9:20 PM
The one that you shoot the best with.

gunwurkz
07-12-2010, 9:24 PM
Hollow points in this situation. I hear that 155gr. has better expansion?

znode
07-12-2010, 9:26 PM
Terminal performance wise, the heavier grain the better for reliable penetration and expansion.

But that's just one piece of the equation, and if you are more accurate or faster with 155, that means a lot more than a bit more terminal performance.

noob_tube
07-12-2010, 9:26 PM
You forgot 165gr! And the first two replies hit the nail on the head.

OneSevenDeuce
07-12-2010, 9:29 PM
Hollow points in this situation. I hear that 155gr. has better expansion?

Totally depends. Different brands will react in different ways. Honestly, if you hit someone in the torso with a .40 round they will go down. Doesn't matter what type of round it is. If you absolutely have to have the best terminal ballistics and knock down potential then there are a few to choose from. Winchester makes very good JHP. Expensive, but the FBI supposedly uses it, so...

sk8804
07-12-2010, 9:33 PM
I have found that lighter bullets penetrate less and expand faster and wider than heavier bullets (this found by doing backyard ballistics) I will only use Ranger T 165s for my 40 as a home defense round. best and nastiest expansion i have ever seen.

dk94044
07-12-2010, 9:54 PM
speer gold dot 155gr, youtube it.

9mmepiphany
07-12-2010, 10:40 PM
my favorite, out of a Sig 229, used to be the 135gr JHP..but i haven't seen any in a while.

i personally feel the 180gr slug is too heavy to get optimal performance...either accuracy or expansion...from. the only reason the 180 was originally loaded into the .40 was because they were trying to duplicate the ballistics of the FBI 10mm load. the most accurate loadings i've tried are the 165gr slugs

sk8804
07-12-2010, 11:16 PM
my favorite, out of a Sig 229, used to be the 135gr JHP..but i haven't seen any in a while.

i personally feel the 180gr slug is too heavy to get optimal performance...either accuracy or expansion...from. the only reason the 180 was originally loaded into the .40 was because they were trying to duplicate the ballistics of the FBI 10mm load. the most accurate loadings i've tried are the 165gr slugs

I just bought 4 boxes of federal hst 135s in 50 rnd boxes from my local walmart the other day for $22 a box

9mmepiphany
07-12-2010, 11:24 PM
i may have to go looking...that is an awesome load, reminds me of the 125gr JHP .357 Mag loading

sk8804
07-12-2010, 11:41 PM
I was very impressed with their performance. Very light recoil, accurate, and expanded exceptionally well, without under penetration.

SLYoteBoy
07-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Whatever I can find closest to 165gr , because that is what I have been shooting with (PMC Bronze).

Quiet
07-13-2010, 12:03 AM
When I had a .40S&W, I went with the 165gr.
It's what the Fed LEOs were using at the time.

BigDogatPlay
07-13-2010, 12:10 AM
The 155 to 165 grain loads deliver the optimal performance on paper in .40. The 180s are okay, but they aren't a big gain in performance for the difference in weight.

I shot the Ranger round as issued duty ammo, and it's very good, but I prefer Hydro Shock when I am paying for my own ammo.... and when I can find them. The new Winchester PDX is supposed to be just plain awesome, but I haven't tried it yet.

Southbay
07-13-2010, 12:17 AM
Totally depends. Different brands will react in different ways. Honestly, if you hit someone in the torso with a .40 round they will go down. Doesn't matter what type of round it is. If you absolutely have to have the best terminal ballistics and knock down potential then there are a few to choose from. Winchester makes very good JHP. Expensive, but the FBI supposedly uses it, so...

Are you sure about that? I remember reading about a cop that got into a live fire exchange, got 15 hits with his 40 S&W and the scumbag drove off, went about 3 miles before he pulled over and stopped. I believe the cop got shot 6 times and survived.

OneSevenDeuce
07-13-2010, 8:22 AM
Are you sure about that? I remember reading about a cop that got into a live fire exchange, got 15 hits with his 40 S&W and the scumbag drove off, went about 3 miles before he pulled over and stopped. I believe the cop got shot 6 times and survived.

Here is the thing. The human body can do a lot of things under pressure. More often than not, if you place your shots well enough the person will drop. A lot of cops use JHP rounds in their duty weapons so he may have been firing with the best scientifically calculated human destructo rounds ever, and this guy still drove off. Just saying. My point is this, if you practice your drills, do a dry run of your home (Without a loaded weapon, PLEASE!) with potential shooting positions and locations, make a PLAN, and be prepared, you are in a much better situation than if you did none of that but used hollow point ammo touched by god. Hits count, and at 7-10 yds a hit from a .40 will more than likely drop a guy, no matter what type of round it is.

Munk
07-13-2010, 1:11 PM
The answer, as others have said, is whatever you can hit with and whatever your gun feeds reliably.

pinwheels
07-13-2010, 7:36 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

But FWIW, I tried some 135 Corbon (1400+fps). Loudest and largest muzzle flip of any round I've used. I practice with 180 gr FMJ and have 180 gr HST and Ranger T for SD. Similar feel, and familiarity is good.

Try 'em all and find what you can control best.

Colt
07-13-2010, 8:55 PM
My federal LEO family member and colleagues were issued Gold Dot 180 grain for their Glock .40s.

Southbay
07-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Here is the thing. The human body can do a lot of things under pressure. More often than not, if you place your shots well enough the person will drop. A lot of cops use JHP rounds in their duty weapons so he may have been firing with the best scientifically calculated human destructo rounds ever, and this guy still drove off. Just saying. My point is this, if you practice your drills, do a dry run of your home (Without a loaded weapon, PLEASE!) with potential shooting positions and locations, make a PLAN, and be prepared, you are in a much better situation than if you did none of that but used hollow point ammo touched by god. Hits count, and at 7-10 yds a hit from a .40 will more than likely drop a guy, no matter what type of round it is.

I agree with you about the training at home but not totally about 1 shot will more than likely drop a person. I believe in shooting until they have no more fight in them, I donít even want to think 1 shoot will most likely do it, that is a dangerous mind set.

I am willing to bet that exchange between the cop and the scumbag was under 10yds. The cop approached the truck the scumbag got out and started shooting.

OneSevenDeuce
07-14-2010, 9:22 AM
I agree with you about the training at home but not totally about 1 shot will more than likely drop a person. I believe in shooting until they have no more fight in them, I donít even want to think 1 shoot will most likely do it, that is a dangerous mind set.

I am willing to bet that exchange between the cop and the scumbag was under 10yds. The cop approached the truck the scumbag got out and started shooting.

I'm not saying 1 shot 1 kill. I mean, that's why we train to fire controlled pairs, and practice "failure" drills. My point is this though. I feel very comfortable having ball ammo in my gun tucked away in my night stand. On the other hand, I feel very comfortable having JHP in it too.

E. Fudd
07-14-2010, 10:37 AM
No handgun round can guaranty 100% stopping power.

I like 165gr. or 180 gr. Ranger T's or Gold Dots.

OneSevenDeuce
07-14-2010, 12:20 PM
No handgun round can guaranty 100% stopping power.

Exactly.