PDA

View Full Version : handguns and flying carp

mongosse
07-12-2010, 8:08 PM
is there any place where you can shoot at flying carp with handguns instead of a bow and arrow? ive looked all over the internet and really couldnt find any information on it.

Juice5610
07-12-2010, 8:10 PM
lol AWESOME! and interested as well haha

mongosse
07-12-2010, 8:13 PM
seriously i think that would be a blast literally!

Bobula
07-12-2010, 8:18 PM
Well considering it's illegal to shoot over water... I'm going to say NO!!!

CSACANNONEER
07-12-2010, 8:22 PM
That's one of the most idiotic ideas I've ever heard of! How could ANYONE ever think that the idea was the least bit safe?

jamesonamac
07-12-2010, 8:30 PM
Its legal, but only when hunting in pairs. You stand on opposite sides of the bank and shoot towards each other. The carp will jump out of the water into the path of the bullets.

Munk
07-13-2010, 12:25 AM
... I'll admit, as a bow-fisher (novice still lol) I already shoot at carp. When I saw the title of this thread, i just KNEW I had found my new sport, hah. If it's legal in this country, I have yet to find a place to do it though.

Why don't you try Crossbow bow-fishing? You get the feel of a trigger in your hand, and a fish on your line. There's even a crossbow upper that you can put onto a standard AR-15 style lower.

Richie Caketown
07-13-2010, 12:37 AM
keep in mind bullets CAN ricochet off water

feelinducky
07-13-2010, 7:54 AM
Arkansas

Tanner68
07-13-2010, 9:38 AM
And how in the world will you know when you score a hit? Most hit fish will still swim off. Are you planning on aiming for the head Annie Oakley? And by responding to this, I kinda feel like I have just taken the bait....

Tanner68
07-13-2010, 9:41 AM
Bow fishing for flying carp...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEIu4l4mNVQ&feature=related

JTROKS
07-13-2010, 10:12 AM

Asian carp/Silver carp infesting northern river ways. I wonder if they are safe to eat? Maybe we can keep fishing them, freeze them and send them somewhere they can be appreciated? For the fun factor we fish and fish and fish and.... ;)

Now for the handguns and flying carp. I was personally treated by a friend in AZ shooting handguns at some pretty big carps. It was fun just waiting for them to come up far enough for a clean head shot.

Army
07-13-2010, 11:05 AM
I used to shotgun carp in the Nacimiento river just below the dam. While they do not fly, they were still pretty easy to blast with slugs or 000 buck. The river bank was high enough that the downward angle was faily steep, so no ricochet was ever likely. The Nacimiento lake head Ranger gave us permission to shoot as many as we could drag out ammo for.

Wore swim suit and flip-flops as the geyser of water always left us soaked, which wasn't so bad on those 110F deg summer days. The Bald Eagles loved us afterward, as the river was littered with big dead fish :D

windrunner
07-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Well considering it's illegal to shoot over water... I'm going to say NO!!!

What if he meant taking carp, throwing them in the air and shooting at them like skeet?

That's how I read it.

timdps
07-13-2010, 12:35 PM

Looks like you just need a second boat owed behind the first boat with a big landing net in it. Carp just jump into it...

tim

Super Spy
07-13-2010, 12:37 PM
That sounds like FUN!
I used to shotgun carp in the Nacimiento river just below the dam. While they do not fly, they were still pretty easy to blast with slugs or 000 buck. The river bank was high enough that the downward angle was faily steep, so no ricochet was ever likely. The Nacimiento lake head Ranger gave us permission to shoot as many as we could drag out ammo for.

Wore swim suit and flip-flops as the geyser of water always left us soaked, which wasn't so bad on those 110F deg summer days. The Bald Eagles loved us afterward, as the river was littered with big dead fish :D

Cyc Wid It
07-13-2010, 3:14 PM
Sounds like a good human population control idea to me.