PDA

View Full Version : rifle to pistol laws

bpst1
07-12-2010, 7:08 PM
I wanted to make a pistol based on a 7.7 jap rifle.CA law as far as I know allows me to make a complete reciever from scratch and regester it as a single shot pistol, but no one seems to know if i can use any part of the origional reciever in my build. I wanted to use the front 25% where the foward locking lugs are and the barrel threads on. can this be done legaly? how much of the original recever can I use? can I modifiy the reciever enough to call it my own build and regester it?

ke6guj
07-12-2010, 7:11 PM
if it is properly demilled, parts of the receiver can be used to make a new pistol receiver. YOu would probably need to ask BATF Tech Branch to determine what the demil standards are for that specific rifle type.

bpst1
07-12-2010, 7:33 PM
how do i contact batf? how are most ww2 rifles demilled? so i can use all of the remaining reciever parts to rebuild the original reciever? would the ca firearms bureau be able to tell me?

ke6guj
07-12-2010, 7:42 PM
how do i contact batf?
start here, http://www.atf.gov/contact/

how are most ww2 rifles demilled? so i can use all of the remaining reciever parts to rebuild the original reciever?
don't know, you'd have to ask the Tech Branch.

would the ca firearms bureau be able to tell me?no, demil standards are federal, not state.

littlejake
07-13-2010, 9:14 AM
Whatever they say, have them put it in writing to CYA... on BATF&E letterhead.

bpst1
07-13-2010, 9:27 AM
I've sent off a letter to batf and now waiting a reply. does anyone know if you can put a pistol grip on a single shot rifle? and if the barrel is currently 13" can i weld a flash suppressor on the end to make it meet the 16" min.?

ke6guj
07-13-2010, 11:18 AM
I've sent off a letter to batf and now waiting a reply. does anyone know if you can put a pistol grip on a single shot rifle?you can add a pistol grip to the stock of a single-shot rifle without violating any state or federal law that I know of. You can replace the stock with a pistol grip as well, provided that it does not go below 26" OAL when PG-only.

and if the barrel is currently 13" can i weld a flash suppressor on the end to make it meet the 16" min.?if it is a rifle with a 13" barrel, then you have an illegal SBR.

bpst1
07-13-2010, 11:39 AM
thanks for the info. It hasnt been cut as of yet. I need to remove the barrel and cut it to salvage it, than add from there. does a folding stock staisfiy the 26" rule if it is shorter than 26" when folded?

ke6guj
07-13-2010, 11:55 AM
thanks for the info. It hasnt been cut as of yet. I need to remove the barrel and cut it to salvage it, than add from there.just be careful not to be in constructive possession of an SBR, which can happen if you cut things in the wrong order.

does a folding stock staisfiy the 26" rule if it is shorter than 26" when folded?

federally, yes. But in CA, there is case law that basically says that OAL is measured with the firearm in its shortest fireable configuration.

Munk
07-13-2010, 11:58 AM
does a folding stock staisfiy the 26" rule if it is shorter than 26" when folded?

i'm thinking No. especially if the firearm can be fired while folded.

If it is inoperable while folded, i think it's OK, but you'd have to ask the legal minds around here to be sure.

Rekrab
07-13-2010, 2:41 PM
If it can fire while folded you need to meet the overall length requirements.