PDA

View Full Version : Hoppes 9 Gun Grease

OneSevenDeuce
07-12-2010, 4:04 PM
I am a CLP guy, having been in the military, and it is what I have used on my guns exclusively. It has worked very well and has never caused me any problems. However I saw this tube of gun grease in the gun store and thought what the heck, I'll give it a try. I put a conservative amount along the rails of my SA 1911. Wow, this thing racks manually about as smooth as butter now. The CLP I used on the rails before was fine, and I continue to use CLP for most lubrication needs on my weapons, but I think on slide rails, it's grease for me from now on. I'll have to take it to the range before finally deciding on that, but I can't foresee any problems. I added some grease to my Glock slide as well and it helped, but not as noticeably as on the 1911. as a side note I also buffed out the seer and hammer on my Mini 14 and added some grease to the contact points. Trigger feels a bit lighter. I don't know if the grease helped in that regard, but something worked.

littlejake
07-12-2010, 5:17 PM
I believe Hoppes Gun Grease is intended to provide protection during storage; and is not intended to lube a gun during use.

The only gun I have ever used grease on is the M1 Garand -- it calls for grease.

On a 1911, grease on the slide rails invites sand, dust and dirt to stick and wear the rails more so than a light oil like CLP.

Buffing and greasing the sear surface on your mini 14 invites it to double or worse go full auto; that in-turn invites the ATF technical branch to investigate your weapon.

OneSevenDeuce
07-12-2010, 7:12 PM
I believe Hoppes Gun Grease is intended to provide protection during storage; and is not intended to lube a gun during use.

According to the product description it may be used to lubricate moving parts.

On a 1911, grease on the slide rails invites sand, dust and dirt to stick and wear the rails more so than a light oil like CLP.

Maybe an issue in Normandy in 1944, but not in my closet.

Buffing and greasing the sear surface on your mini 14 invites it to double or worse go full auto; that in-turn invites the ATF technical branch to investigate your weapon.

I'm not trying to be rude but that is just plain FUD. What you are talking about is definitely a danger if you remove too much metal from the sear, secondary sear, or hammer. Buffing to a high shine however does not remove a significant amount of material. It simply smooths surfaces. Neither will greasing the surfaces cause any added safety risk. In fact a professional gunsmith I trust recommends it on mini 14 trigger groups.

gorenut
07-13-2010, 8:34 AM
+1 for grease on slides and rails. My personal preference is Slide Glide (found out through Bruce Gray amongst other smiths). Definitely grease on guns with heavier slides. Even with dirt, sand, etc.. grease allows for easy wipe off when cleaning.

halo6941
07-13-2010, 12:03 PM
i have a tube of hoppes 9 gun grease and well i put it on b4 the range and to me it didnt seem to work to well. as another said its intended use is for storage. so a grease intended for lubrication would be better.