PDA

View Full Version : Help with hunting regulations

TheRealVIC
07-12-2010, 4:39 PM
I'm going to vacation up at bass lake in a few weeks and i wanted to find out about doing some squirrel hunting with my son. I tried looking at dfg website but it's not very user friendly. Could use some help on regulations for hunting/target shooting in that area. I'm used to hunting rabbits in the country. Any help is much appreciated. Also would like to know about hunter education classes in the sacramento area.

Thanks

Mohawk
07-12-2010, 6:43 PM
If you head up Rd 222 from Oakhurst..,., Directly across from the Pines Village you will find Beasore Rd. on your left,., follow this road on up the hill and you will drive fairly deep into the sierra national forest., As far as I know Varmint hunting is allowed year round as long as you are so far from any developed areas or roads (although youll mostly find grey tree squirrel which do have a somewhat strict season)., If your looking to hunt ground squirrels or the likes I would look further down the mountain twords Coarsegold Or Cathys Valley.,., Both are ridden with ground squirrels.,.,., Other hunting available with tags., lots of black tail deer and black bear up higher., Pigs down below.,.
I believe you can also target shoot up there as well although its very heavy forest.,., not much room for distance.,. and very LOUD (even with .22lrs it seems) with all the trees boxing you in..

There are several fairly nice county maintained camp grounds up there.,., or if you do a little exploring there are some GREAT open natural meadows to rough camp., beautiful in August., nice and cool., and if your high enough up the hill.,. for a week or two there is an abundance of small tree frogs roaming about.. Strangest thing to wake up one morning and see the ground alive with little frogs of all different colors

this road is not county maintained so depending on the year you may not be able to access the full road until well into later June early July as snow blocks the road.,,. If you do drive all the way over the mountain you will find yourself on a quick route to Mammoth lakes.,

If you just wanna do some shooting there is a road that branches off 222 just before the road splits to run both sides of the lake., if your coming from Oakhurst to bass lake via rd 222., youll go up and over the hill and about 3/4 of the way down on your right hand side.,., BEFORE the road splits.,, A small rough road that goes roughly 200 yards up into a rocky cove is a small "Shootin hole" that the locals frequent., I lived there for years and was never given any trouble.,., even shot along side the Madera Co. Sherriffs a time or 2

884runner
07-12-2010, 6:44 PM
Tree squirrel season is later in the year. Ground squirrels are open year round but you have to use "Lead free" ammo. There is a range on Rd 222 just before the houses at bass lake on a short dirt road. It is not marked though. It is also usually heavily littered. The lake is nice though so enjoy your vacation.

Bearclaw
07-13-2010, 7:49 AM
If you head up Rd 222 from Oakhurst..,., Directly across from the Pines Village you will find Beasore Rd. on your left,., follow this road on up the hill and you will drive fairly deep into the sierra national forest.,

I've got a place out that way in North Fork. When I'm up there we usually go target shooting in the same place Mohawk is talking about. But I've always gone in from the other end of the road....I go in off of Road 274. Road 222 dead ends into 274, except it's not called 222 anymore. It's called Old Central Camp Road. If you drive in this way, then just head down the road until you see a spot on the right that is basically just a clear spot up against the hill. You will be able to tell that people have shot there before. You can shoot with the hill as your backstop. But it's best for handgun shooting, since it's not that big of an area. Here's the googlemap for Road 222/Old Central Camp Road

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Old+Central+Camp+Road,+North+Fork,+CA&sll=37.258786,-119.513054&sspn=0.019094,0.033088&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Old+Central+Camp+Rd,+North+Fork,+Madera,+Cal ifornia+93643&t=h&z=16

TheRealVIC
07-13-2010, 2:49 PM
Thanks very much for the reply's. Glad to hear they arent too anti-gun up there. My son and I will check out as much as we can and hopefully bring back some squirrel jerky.

professionalcoyotehunter
07-13-2010, 2:57 PM
beautiful country out that way. I have taken a lot of squirrels and 2 deer there with my bow.