PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 930 problem/help/advice

rudeboy3
07-12-2010, 4:18 PM
Hey CGN got a question. I have a few shotguns and my newest purchase was a Mossberg 930SPX..Now ive read and studied a little about it so ive been cycling hotter loads through it (about 200 of buckshot and nitro mag) yet my damn shotgun still will not cycle universal loads. The odd thing was it seems to cycle it sometimes when I first start shooting but then it wont at all. It either fails to fully eject or the bolt doesnt even attempt to eject the shell. Military 00 buck, Slugs, and Super X feeds fine. Wal Mart federal and winchester bulk target loads as well as LE ranger low recoil 00 buck doesnt feed at all. Do you all who have experience with Mossberg Autos have any advice or is something wrong with it? Thanks everyone

SuperSet
07-12-2010, 4:26 PM
I had good luck with my Mossberg 930, even though the shell slide stop lever broke within the first 1000 rounds. And I didn't have to do much break-in.

For your issue, do you have the same issue as this guy?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=250819

bjl333
07-12-2010, 4:27 PM
Don't have experience with the Mossy, but it sounds like the gas ports are too tight. The hotter loads are getting thru because the have more pressure to cycle the action. The target loads are lighter so not enough gas is going to cycle the action. I would tell you to shoot the Walmart Federal 12ga Game loads. They are 3 1/4 Drams (hot) and it should function find, and they are cheap $4.68/box. Try them first, if they function good then stay with that load. If they don't work have a gunsmith look at the gun and MAYBE open the gas ports a little.

EDIT: Check the gasports for blockage too.

rudeboy3
07-12-2010, 4:32 PM
Thanks for the fast reply, and no my problem is a little different. Mine has more of a failure to eject problem rather than failure to feed. Either the light load shells will get stuck in the ejection port or will stick in the chamber, but like I said the hot rounds work flawlessly.

Edit- Thanks for the advice ill try those out next time bj

SuperSet
07-12-2010, 4:34 PM
Ah, then I agree with the above poster. Gas issue.

bjl333
07-12-2010, 4:38 PM
Mine has more of a failure to eject problem rather than failure to feed. Either the light load shells will get stuck in the ejection port or will stick in the chamber, but like I said the hot rounds work flawlessly

Thats because there isn't enough gogo juice to get the shell past the ejection port. The hotter shells work because the have more gogo juice.

saber
07-12-2010, 4:40 PM
You aren't the first person to have a problem with a 930. How about calling Mossberg and asking them either to recommend ammo for the gun or you send it back.

If you gun doesn't cycle ammo that other 930's do, then there is a problem with your shotgun.

It's probably better to send it back to Mossberg than to send it to a gunsmith.

shrap
07-12-2010, 5:34 PM
Lots and lots of people have reported problems with Winchester Universal loads, even in pump shotguns, so don't use those anymore. Ever. In fact, the crud from these loads (and Federal Value Packs, which also run dirty) may have clogged up the gas ports on your 930, so I would give everything a good cleaning. Did you clean all the factory grease off before shooting?

unusedusername
07-12-2010, 5:37 PM
The Winchester universal loads have all kinds of issues in many different gas-operated shotguns, not just the 930.

Next time you are at wally-world get the Federal ones instead.

rudeboy3
07-12-2010, 6:43 PM
You know you guys have a point I think. I had a box of federal left from last outing and if I remember right it actually fed today until I ran some of the winchester. Well im gonna clean it right now and ill see how dirty it is from today. Damn i bought 200 rounds of that today and probally only got through 50 because I got tired of a single shot shotgun :rolleyes:

bjl333
07-13-2010, 4:47 PM
You know you guys have a point I think. I had a box of federal left from last outing and if I remember right it actually fed today until I ran some of the winchester. Well im gonna clean it right now and ill see how dirty it is from today. Damn i bought 200 rounds of that today and probally only got through 50 because I got tired of a single shot shotgun :rolleyes:

And don't buy the Fed 4-pac, buy the Fed game loads ... hotter, cheaper, shoots good !!!