PDA

View Full Version : Whats a fair price for a S&W 19-3

corvetteguy
07-12-2010, 2:37 PM
I have a chance to buy a Smith and Wesson Model 19-3 revolver from a friend that has no clue what it is worth. I also have no clue as I tend to be a simi-auto guy myself. It looks to be in good shape except for some wear on the cylinder. It appears that the nickel is wearing off in certain places on the cylinder. I would say that it is in 75-80% condition. It shoots great and the mechanics seem to be fine.

Any help will be appreciated!

Thank you,

David

c good
07-12-2010, 3:18 PM
What is the barrel length? Also, does it have original grips? 4 inch barrel with original grips, $525-550. 6 inch barrel, non original grips $495-$525. These are shop prices not "friend prices" depending on how good a friend you are will determine your discount!:D:) HTH c good

Mr. Beretta
07-12-2010, 3:33 PM
Hi David

Welcome to the forum. No problem in giving a good guess on the current market value of the 19-3 but first can you please give additional details?

1.) 2.5", 4" or 6" barrel?
2.) Factory nickel finish or after market nickel finish?
3.) In time? Good lock up? Any end shake? How's the cone look? Any wear? Any flame cuts on the top strap? Are the sights original ? Have they been modified?
4.) Original hammer, trigger, grips?
5.) Do the grips number to the gun?
6.) What style of grips. Target? Magnas?
7.) Cylinder yoke number match with the same number on the frame?
8.) Any original paperwork, box, tools?

Have said all, that those 19-3's were nice P&R guns. Please give more details. It makes a huge difference in the price. Thanks.

Miltiades
07-13-2010, 3:18 AM
Mr. Beretta above makes excellent points regarding an accurate value on the gun.

If the gun is really in 75% condition and factory nickel plated, it is pretty beat up and showing lots of wear. I would personally not go over $350 for a model 19 in that condition.

JosephP
07-13-2010, 6:45 AM
Yes... with 75~80% revolver....
It worth less than $350.

BigDogatPlay
07-13-2010, 8:40 AM
I paid $500 after a bit of negotiating for a consigned 95% 2.5 inch nickel 19-3 within the past year. It is the original factory nickel. It was a little dirty, whoever owned it had fired a bunch of magnum ammo, and with a bit of honest wear here and there but it cleaned up nicely. The original grips were gone and replaced with some aftermarket finger grooves that are not very comfortable and that I will replace with factory combats.

Probably a bit more than I might have liked to pay but at the end of the day I was still happy.

If the gun the OP is looking at is 75% and there is some flaking on the finish, and it is a (most common) four inch barrel, then I'd agree $350 is about top shelf.

bjl333
07-14-2010, 4:11 AM
If the nickel is flaking then I'd probably stay away from the piece. Once a nickel gun start flaking it'll just continue to get worst. The price and hassle to get it renickel would not be worth it to me. So a detailed picture would be the best way to put some estimates as to how bad the nickel really is and the value of the piece.

The model 19 along with its stainless brother are awesome revolvers. They will need to be timed if previous owners shoot a lot of magnum ammo through it. There is a sticky here to show how to check out a revolver.

Good luck !!!