PDA

View Full Version : Romanian AK udrive size

mailman
04-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Does anyone know the exact size of the two upper rivit holes on the front barrel trunion of a Romanian? Im going to MCmaster for sum udrives and don't have access to the rifle right now. Thanks guys

mailman
04-14-2006, 10:39 AM
so far ive come up with

FRONT: #10 1/4 & #12 1/4

REAR: #12 3/8 & #10 5/8

ANY clarification would be helpfull, they are drilled out completly

And yes I am stupid and dont know which size drill bit I used

Charliegone
04-14-2006, 2:57 PM
Hmmm I'm using #8 1/4 OR 3/8. I've heard the #10's have bigger heads, which would look kind of out of place with the other rivets (like in the trigger guard I used rivets, but didn't really do a good job on it.:( OH well still works.:D )

Word of advice...MAKE sure you rivet or put together the trigger guard first. That way you can get the correct alignment with the magazine put in place. It must not budge! Has to be pretty tight with the trigger release and the trunion, just not too tight, or the magazine will NOT go in.

leelaw
04-14-2006, 10:20 PM
I have a set or two of #8s, if anyone wants to pay postage and take em. IM me

dhl
04-14-2006, 11:21 PM
Doe's that damn cat have a pancake on it's head?

Anyway, sorry, I got sidetracked there. I don't know how many times I've seen that cat and didn't know what was going on.

Doe's anyone know where I can get a manual that tell's how to construct an off-list AK from parts?

Now wait a minute! What happened to the bunny?

Joe

EBWhite
04-15-2006, 12:20 AM
I would not recommend U-drives. You are better off with a screw or rivet build. U-drives can get smashed and back out on you unlike screws and rivets.

leelaw
04-15-2006, 12:55 AM
Doe's that damn cat have a pancake on it's head?

Anyway, sorry, I got sidetracked there. I don't know how many times I've seen that cat and didn't know what was going on.

Doe's anyone know where I can get a manual that tell's how to construct an off-list AK from parts?

Now wait a minute! What happened to the bunny?

Joe

<Hijack>

http://www.apt401.com/catgathat.jpg

He read too many threads in the AR15.com Survival Forum.

</Hijack>

Cleaning up your parts kit (http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/dishwashermethod/index.asp)

Assembling your pieces (http://gunsgutsandgod.com/)

Then, at the appropiate time during assembly, build up the rifle in one of the legal ways (fixed magazine - do a search, or without evil features, or in bolt-action mode)

DV8
04-15-2006, 5:57 AM
I would not recommend U-drives. You are better off with a screw or rivet build. U-drives can get smashed and back out on you unlike screws and rivets.

People who have used the U drives havent reported this. Did this happen to you?

JHC
04-15-2006, 7:18 AM
My Udrives havn't backed out a bit,... and screws are ugly.

dwtt
04-15-2006, 9:50 AM
People who have used the U drives havent reported this. Did this happen to you?
EBWhite hasn't built an AK yet.
U-drive screws don't back out unless you drill the pilot hole the same diameter as the splines so that there is no metal-to-metal contact, but only someone not willing to look up the proper hole size can do this.
For my Romanian kit, I have #10 -1/4" screws for the front trunnion and #12-3/8 for the rear trunnion. There is only 0.180" or so of metal on the front trunnion before you would hit the outside of the barrel.
Oh yes, I bought my u-drive screws from fastenal.

EBWhite
04-15-2006, 11:27 AM
EBWhite hasn't built an AK yet.
U-drive screws don't back out unless you drill the pilot hole the same diameter as the splines so that there is no metal-to-metal contact, but only someone not willing to look up the proper hole size can do this.
For my Romanian kit, I have #10 -1/4" screws for the front trunnion and #12-3/8 for the rear trunnion. There is only 0.180" or so of metal on the front trunnion before you would hit the outside of the barrel.
Oh yes, I bought my u-drive screws from fastenal.

I have not used U-drives screws. Coming from my mechanical knowledge, u-drives are the worst idea of the 3 methods used (rivets, screws, udrives)

Rivets and screws are the best (screws are removeable and can be locktited if needed. Rivets are OEM style.

Udrives can backout on you later. They don't smash on the backside like rivets- they also do not have a uniform thread pattern to screw into. You will not know if the grooves seat well. You will hope they do. For most, this will work (for a while atleast) but it is not as good as a screw or rivet build. I work recommend just doing a screw build if you dont want to mess with the rivet build/barrel issues.

Charliegone
04-15-2006, 1:10 PM
I have not used U-drives screws. Coming from my mechanical knowledge, u-drives are the worst idea of the 3 methods used (rivets, screws, udrives)

Rivets and screws are the best (screws are removeable and can be locktited if needed. Rivets are OEM style.

Udrives can backout on you later. They don't smash on the backside like rivets- they also do not have a uniform thread pattern to screw into. You will not know if the grooves seat well. You will hope they do. For most, this will work (for a while atleast) but it is not as good as a screw or rivet build. I work recommend just doing a screw build if you dont want to mess with the rivet build/barrel issues.

After using U-drive screws, I found they didn't work too well in the bottom trunion holes. It is better to use rivets there. I'm probably gonna go with rivets all the way.

DV8
04-16-2006, 9:45 AM
Well, it would be great if someone built one with screws and one with udrives then do some sort of torture test to see if there is really a chance of them backing out. That way we could see some real proof.

If you guys can send me a couple of AK receivers, I'd be glad to build and test them of course....:D