PDA

View Full Version : Critical disk space warning message, Help

cmace22
07-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Out of no where I get a critical disk space warning. After checking my c drive it shows I only have 15mb of space left. How can this be I havent downloaded anything.

I tried running disk defragment but it didn't help. I ran virus scans but nothing showed up.

I even deleted unused programs and it doesn't show any improvement.

Is this a virus. Can anyone help me fix it.

Thanks

Chad

kapache
07-12-2010, 10:44 AM
How did you partition the drive on this PC? usually if you created a small "C" drive that will cause the problem.

nick
07-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Start by looking at which folders are too big. Delete temp files, run something like Ccleaner (www.ccleaner.com). As kapache said, your hard drive might be partitioned with a small C: drive, you can use any of the number of tools to re-partition it without losing data (do use caution though, and do the backup first).

Or you might just need a bigger drive :)

cmace22
07-12-2010, 10:59 AM
How did you partition the drive on this PC? usually if you created a small "C" drive that will cause the problem.

I haven't knowingly partitioned anything. One day it was fine with 75% of my disk space available and the next day only having 15mb available out of 60g.

cmace22
07-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Start by looking at which folders are too big. Delete temp files, run something like Ccleaner (www.ccleaner.com (http://www.ccleaner.com)). As kapache said, your hard drive might be partitioned with a small C: drive, you can use any of the number of tools to re-partition it without losing data (do use caution though, and do the backup first).

Or you might just need a bigger drive :)

Will Ccleaner show me what the file sizes are.

If it is partitioned how do I find out and what do I use to fix it.

Sorry I'm good with basic computer use but not too much of the technical stuff.

Thanks

kapache
07-12-2010, 11:03 AM
I haven't knowingly partitioned anything. One day it was fine with 75% of my disk space available and the next day only having 15mb available out of 60g.

That mean's that you fill your drive space on your current machine hard drive. Check your (C:\Program Files) check the size all your files, to see which file exactly is the one that fill all your space - if you don't need it delete the unused files.

cmace22
07-12-2010, 11:09 AM
That mean's that you fill your drive space on your current machine hard drive. Check your (C:\Program Files) check the size all your files, to see which file exactly is the one that fill all your space - if you don't need it delete the unused files.

I know how to check program size in control panel. How do I check file sizes on my c drive.

kapache
07-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Easy just right click the program that you want to check then go to properties - in the General tab you get a overview of the Size of your files.

paul0660
07-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Dont forget to empty the recycle bin of the stuff you have deleted.......you don't save space until you do.

Also, you can open the search function, order a search of all files and folders by size, without entering a filename. You will get a list of every file on the drive, and you might find something else you can live without.

kapache
07-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Dont forget to empty the recycle bin of the stuff you have deleted.......you don't save space until you do.

Also, you can open the search function, order a search of all files and folders by size, without entering a filename. You will get a list of every file on the drive, and you might find something else you can live without.

1+ on that one too.

cmace22
07-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Nice thanks guys Ill give it a run when I get home and let you know how it went.

So its safe to say its not a virus but a genuine storage issue right.

Thanks again.

Chad

kapache
07-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Nice thanks guys Ill give it a run when I get home and let you know how it went.

So its safe to say its not a virus but a genuine storage issue right.

Thanks again.

Chad

Yep, scan it after you finish removing unwanted files to keep it in the safe side.

Josh3239
07-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Don't delete programs, uninstall them. This is a big difference.

pdq_wizzard
07-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Also, I assume you are using some ver of Windows, if so you need to go to the control panel and use add remove programs. That way you get a clean uninstall.

edit Josh beat me to it :)

cmace22
07-12-2010, 12:01 PM
It doesn't seem to be a program issue. I do not have that many installed on my computer. I also uninstalled a few when i started to get the warning message but it did VERY little to free up space. So it looks to be a file issue.

When i say delete I meant uninstall and I did it all through control panel.

pdq_wizzard
07-12-2010, 12:10 PM
It doesn't seem to be a program issue. I do not have that many installed on my computer. I also uninstalled a few when i started to get the warning message but it did VERY little to free up space. So it looks to be a file issue.

When i say delete I meant uninstall and I did it all through control panel.

Have you had computer crashes? if so you might have dmp files (memory dumps) they will be ether in your home directory or under Windows or system32

This program works great "Wise Disk Cleaner " http://www.wisecleaner.com/download.html

kapache
07-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Probably you need to empty your recycle bin or delete possible movies,pm3 files that could be causing your space to fill

JDay
07-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Out of no where I get a critical disk space warning. After checking my c drive it shows I only have 15mb of space left. How can this be I havent downloaded anything.

I tried running disk defragment but it didn't help. I ran virus scans but nothing showed up.

Neither of those free disk space.

I even deleted unused programs and it doesn't show any improvement.

Did you just delete the icons or did you actually uninstall the programs?

Is this a virus. Can anyone help me fix it.

Thanks

Chad

No it's not.

ETA: You should also run the disk cleanup tool, you probably have tons of old temp files.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Delete-files-using-Disk-Cleanup

tuolumnejim
07-12-2010, 12:26 PM
If you want to free up disc space Steve Goulds CleanUp 4.5.2 is flipping great! Link (http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=223)

cmace22
07-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Neither of those free disk space.

Did you just delete the icons or did you actually uninstall the programs?

Uninstalled them through control panel add/remove.

cmace22
07-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Have you had computer crashes? if so you might have dmp files (memory dumps) they will be ether in your home directory or under Windows or system32

This program works great "Wise Disk Cleaner " http://www.wisecleaner.com/download.html

I have had a few due to overheating issues.

Corbin Dallas
07-12-2010, 12:59 PM
I have had a few due to overheating issues.

This is most likely the source of your problems. Memory dumps can be in the 100's of MB range and higher.

What OS are you running?

DNA
07-12-2010, 1:21 PM
Heck on one of my computers there was a 2.5gb log... :P

needless to say, that was taken care of.

Dan

cmace22
07-12-2010, 2:06 PM
This is most likely the source of your problems. Memory dumps can be in the 100's of MB range and higher.

What OS are you running?

Heck on one of my computers there was a 2.5gb log... :P

needless to say, that was taken care of.

Dan

Is the program mentioned above the best to use. How else would I go about cleaning up those memory dumps?

JDay
07-12-2010, 2:20 PM
Is the program mentioned above the best to use. How else would I go about cleaning up those memory dumps?

The Disk Cleanup Tool will remove those. It's part of Windows.

cmace22
07-12-2010, 7:19 PM
If you want to free up disc space Steve Goulds CleanUp 4.5.2 is flipping great! Link (http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=223)

Holly crap this thing freed up 73GB of space...........

JDay
07-12-2010, 8:28 PM

Yeah, it was all the stuff in your temp folder. I don't know why Windows doesn't clear that folder at startup or shutdown. It gets filled up with temp files from installing software pretty quick. I used to have a batch script setup that would do it automatically at login.

KaHuNaZ
07-13-2010, 5:25 AM

I guess it wasnt a 60gb drive then. I have never seen a temp folder taking up that much space. Thats just nutz!

cmace22
07-13-2010, 7:24 AM
I guess it wasnt a 60gb drive then. I have never seen a temp folder taking up that much space. Thats just nutz!

Turns out I had a 100gb hard drive lol.

cmace22
07-13-2010, 9:04 AM
So my only real issue now is, some of my icon titles have turned blue for some reason. Not the icon itself but the title under the icon. This happened at the same time my c drive took a dump. Any Idea why or how to fix that,.