PDA

View Full Version : barrel length?

chris
04-14-2006, 3:00 AM
Ok now what is the minimum barrell length on the AR15 type weapon? I have seen 2 things that are quite confusing to me.

1) the weapon must have a length 30 inches.
now i see no barrel length in the AW guide published on theie website and others.
2) I have seen through this site that barrell length of 16 inches. and the overall length must be 30 inches. what gives.

also I have been told that you can modify you registered AW. I hope so. but in the end it is just parts as long as they are not attached right?

I know that this is a subject of conversation with my friends hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

thanks

shin_en
04-14-2006, 5:38 AM
I think that the barrel has to be at least 16 inches. Any shorter and it's considered a SBR (short barrelled rifle). I think that falls under federal law, in which you'd have to get gov't approval and pay a $200 tax. I also think it's illegal in CA.

paradox
04-14-2006, 5:59 AM
Length requirements are found in CA PC§12020 along with such other dangerous items like lipstick knives and throwing stars. They are seperate from AW laws.

Stanze
04-14-2006, 6:44 AM
CA penal code 12276.1 states that a semii-auto, centerfire rifle under 30" long is an AW.

Federal minimum length is less than that by four inches.

Fed law establishes 16" as the minimum bbl length.

CA prohibits SBR's.

Anyone know if a 14.5" permanent fixed phantom 5C2 M4-orgery would satisfy the 30" legal requirement?

FreedomIsNotFree
04-14-2006, 6:48 AM
Anyone know if a 14.5" permanent fixed phantom 5C2 M4-orgery would satisfy the 30" legal requirement?

Yes it will. I have that exact configuration on my LMT upper. The barrel will be just over 16 inches so you will be fine. Oh...and dont worry about using a telescope style stock....using both will make your rifle longer than 30 inches....

Stanze
04-14-2006, 7:17 AM
Yes it will. I have that exact configuration on my LMT upper. The barrel will be just over 16 inches so you will be fine. Oh...and dont worry about using a telescope style stock....using both will make your rifle longer than 30 inches....

Thanks!:) I'm curious, what rifle WOULDN'T be 30" in length, but people in Free America use it because it's within 26"? Examples please.

AK w/ 16" barrel and underfolder?

-hanko
04-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Thanks!:) I'm curious, what rifle WOULDN'T be 30" in length, but people in Free America use it because it's within 26"? Examples please.

Probably yeah the AK, but I don't have one to measure.

Some guns <30" w/ 16" barrels...Marlin Camp .45 or 9mm with folding stock. AK's with side/under folders. FAL paras with barrels less than around 19", my 18" is just under 30" folded. Generally, anything that has a 16" barrel and isn't at least 14" or more from the ***** end of a chambered cartridge to the far end of the butt stock.:D

-hanko

chris
04-15-2006, 12:04 AM
i have a 14.5 barrell with an A2 flash suppressor. i'm sure that could satisfy it. i may have to get a muzzle break for it so i don't get jammed right?

Boomer1961
04-15-2006, 10:31 AM

Yes, funny thing is on my Norinco and my polytech with flash hiders removed I can actually measure 25 7/8" with the undefolder stock folded. I have thought about drilling a hole in the back of the receivers and screwing in a bolt to get that extra 1/8", but then again realized that is what the flash hider does and they were imported this way.

I suppose I just have to have the folding stock out when I remove the flash hider in order to be legal.:D

Also there are several 9mm carbines out there with folding stocks and the short barrel (ala the funny configured MAC 10 carbine) that are also barely over 26".

Then there is the gas piston mod'd AR with the side folding stock that would also come in at less than 30" with a folded stock with a 16' barrel, then agian that folding stock would make it an assault weapon hence the redundancy is saying less than 30" is an assualt rifle.

I suppose this is so one can not remove the stock on a 16" barreled rifle to make one of those whippit guns hidden under their rain jacket.

Take care now!

Omega13device
04-15-2006, 4:07 PM
If you have a 14.5" barrel and a 1.5" flash hider or brake, I believe you must permanently attach the flash hider or brake (e.g., by welding) so that it can't be removed. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

blkA4alb
04-15-2006, 4:10 PM
If you have a 14.5" barrel and a 1.5" flash hider or brake, I believe you must permanently attach the flash hider or brake (e.g., by welding) so that it can't be removed. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
yes only permantly attached muzzle devices count towards the barrel length. it must be welded on to meet the 16" requirement.

chris
04-16-2006, 3:13 AM
i guess i will have to take mine in to get whatever i decide to put on there. so far it has an A2 supressor but there are so many on the market now a days. so many choices not enoguh time.

as to resurect this thread it seems there are more people than me with this problem. i have done this out of operational nessecity. sorry for the spelling. but it seems like we who have these uppers just need to add the proper BRAKE on it and we are fine correct. i know the is beating a dead horse but i think all the knowledge and help on this is greatly appreciated by me.