PDA

View Full Version : HSC renewal?

Rooftop Voter
07-11-2010, 9:36 PM
My HSC just expired early June of this year. I want to get a G26 sometime this year and wanted to know how much is it to get my HSC renewed? Is it still a $25 fee and take the same dumbass test again? I am guessing they assume we could forget the law/safety regs after 5 years?!?! lol

1911Operator
07-11-2010, 9:39 PM
My HSC just expired early June of this year. I want to get a G26 sometime this year and wanted to know how much is it to get my HSC renewed? Is it still a $25 fee and take the test same dumbass test again?
lol yeah what a bunch of doo doo! wht do we need to pay $25 for a stupid certificate. lol if i were you i would call a gun shop, im sure they know. btw i have a g26 that im selling so i can get a G19. take a look at my signature.

plan-b
07-11-2010, 9:39 PM
Yeah, there's no "renewal" in the normal sense. You just get another card. Take the test, pony up $25, and then go shopping.

Fliggidy
07-11-2010, 9:40 PM
Yea it's still the same. Nothing changed. Don't forget to study hard. ;-P

bjl333
07-11-2010, 9:41 PM
Yeah, there's no "renewal" in the normal sense. You just get another card. Take the test, pony up $25, and then go shopping.

At Turners you just give them the old card, pay the mula and get a new card. No new test was needed !!!

Rooftop Voter
07-11-2010, 9:56 PM
At Turners you just give them the old card, pay the mula and get a new card. No new test was needed !!!

oh really - I think that is where I got my HSC. I'll talk to them 1st and see what they say.

littlejake
07-11-2010, 10:39 PM

Doesn't appear so...

12805. ..... (d) An applicant to renew a handgun safety certificate shall be required to pass the objective test. The certified instructor may charge a fee of twenty-five dollars ($25), fifteen dollars ($15) of which is to be forwarded to the department pursuant to subdivision (e).

Ricky-Ray
07-12-2010, 1:06 AM
I did my renew at Turner's and I just showed them my old card and they gave me a new one right away without me taking the test and I believe I only paid $15 for it.

Don't quote me on the $15 part, I don't remember 100% on the dollar amount.

shortround1
07-12-2010, 2:02 AM
I just had to retake it. It was $25 for me.

Mr Wizard
08-20-2010, 12:35 PM
I went to Ammo Bros yesterday to renew my card. The young man at the counter said I just had to pay my $25 bucks, no test. When he asked his boss, he came back and said I would need to retest. It's an inconvenience, but not a problem for me. He then said they were out of cards, so I would have to wait two weeks or go to another FFL.
So I went to the new Turners down the street. They charged me $15 and no test.
The (pretty) young lady at the counter explained that if your info is on file already, they don't make you do over. If someone came in with a card from another FFL they would have to start over.
Works for me...

Bullwinkle
08-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Had to renew mine in order to take advantage of the Turner's Sig Pro special a few weeks back. No test and only $15... and my old card was from another FFL.

Mikeb
08-20-2010, 2:20 PM
Mine ain't got no expiration date, I thought it was good forever. That's what I thought I payed for? Also, it is a BFSC not a HSC. What's up with that
Mike

Bullwinkle
08-20-2010, 2:55 PM
Mine ain't got no expiration date, I thought it was good forever. That's what I thought I payed for? Also, it is a BFSC not a HSC. What's up with that
Mike

LOL. Yeah, we were all screwed on that one. Frickin' state gov't can get away with anything.

BFSC is no longer legit. Must have an HSC, and only good for 5 yrs. See this FAQ question (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscfaqs.php#a12) on the AG's website.

Mr Wizard
08-20-2010, 3:18 PM
LOL. Yeah, we were all screwed on that one. Frickin' state gov't can get away with anything.

BFSC is no longer legit. Must have an HSC, and only good for 5 yrs. See this FAQ question (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscfaqs.php#a12) on the AG's website.

What's a BFSC card?:confused:
I don't remember ever needing any card before they came up with this HSC

plan-b
08-20-2010, 3:19 PM
Well, you can technically say that the BFSC is still valid since there's no expiration date. I still have mine somewhere. It's just not useful for anything since there's no recognition for it.

Mikeb
08-20-2010, 3:23 PM
What's a BFSC card?:confused:
I don't remember ever needing any card before they came up with this HSC

It was the original Basic Firearms Safety Certificate. Mine was issued 2/97. I forget what I payed for it but the gal that gave me the test said to get it laminated because it was good forever.
Anyone remember how much $ was charged for "Poll Tax" back in the day?

Take care
Mike

ruddogg
08-20-2010, 4:12 PM
I bought a HK Compact .40 from a fellow CG last week... did my FFL transfer, thought I could use my BFSC from like 10 yrs ago... LOL... had to pony up the $25 @ Straightline Tactical & get the new HSC... lame...

painkiller
08-20-2010, 6:46 PM
or if one lived in a pro ccw enviorment,no HSC required.too bad my county requires renewal every 2 years,but carrying conceal 24/7 vs an HSC every 5,ill go the latter

vega
08-20-2010, 9:03 PM

That's what I did 2 years ago.

nrgcruizer
08-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Mike

:eek: me too...we got jipped!!!! Can we get a refund? :(

Nookieaki
08-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Good question, mine expires next year. I need to renew it too!

fairfaxjim
08-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Technically you need to retest when you need a new HSC. It appears that some of the dealers are processing them like a lost card - that is $15 for the cost of the card (dealer pays DOJ BOF $15/card in packs of 10 for blanks) and no test. That is really only supposed to be good for a lost card replacement, and only from the Certified Instructor who issued the original card - he is the only one with your info on file - nothing is sent to the DOJ as to who has been issued a card. They can trace the number on any card back to the issuer, but that's all they have - only who they sold the blank card with that serial number on it.

CSDGuy
08-20-2010, 11:02 PM
IMHO, the BFSC hasn't expired.... it's just not valid for anything anymore....

jtmkinsd
08-20-2010, 11:52 PM
I have an instructor card and give the tests on a regular basis...I also sign off on the safe handling demonstration affadavit after watching them load and unload the weapon...but get this...even though I give the test and sign the affadavit, when I purchase a handgun I have to do the safe handling demo and have another instructor sign off on it...gotta love the government...lol

Cokebottle
08-20-2010, 11:59 PM
Well, you can technically say that the BFSC is still valid since there's no expiration date. I still have mine somewhere. It's just not useful for anything since there's no recognition for it.
Kinda like a Gemco card :D

Cokebottle
08-21-2010, 12:04 AM
I have an instructor card and give the tests on a regular basis...I also sign off on the safe handling demonstration affadavit after watching them load and unload the weapon...but get this...even though I give the test and sign the affadavit, when I purchase a handgun I have to do the safe handling demo and have another instructor sign off on it...gotta love the government...lol
I love this part.
It's always a treat at Turner's Chino Hills.
Instead of demonstrating and then watching the customer perform the demonstration, they include a FUD-filled "class" with every piece of old school gunshop FUD ever created with respect to transport of the gun and ammo.

Why do they have to venture into FUD-land, when they clearly do not know the law?

BigDogatPlay
08-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Take a PC832 Arrest & Firearms course and you become exempt from the HSC.

Donny1
08-21-2010, 11:50 AM
I love this part.
It's always a treat at Turner's Chino Hills.
Instead of demonstrating and then watching the customer perform the demonstration, they include a FUD-filled "class" with every piece of old school gunshop FUD ever created with respect to transport of the gun and ammo.

Why do they have to venture into FUD-land, when they clearly do not know the law?

Lol, you must mean the part where he tells you it's illegal to carry the ammo and gun in the same container or compartment. And also how under no circumstances is it legal to transport a loaded magazine.

I picked one up from a PPT 2 weeks ago, I just kept my mouth shut and I was laughing on the inside.

Cokebottle
08-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Lol, you must mean the part where he tells you it's illegal to carry the ammo and gun in the same container or compartment. And also how under no circumstances is it legal to transport a loaded magazine.

I picked one up from a PPT 2 weeks ago, I just kept my mouth shut and I was laughing on the inside.
Ya... and said in a way that you knew he was making stuff up.

"The gun must be in a locked container, with the cable lock installed, and locked in the trunk. The ammo must be in a separate locked container, in the passenger compartment.... and, uhh... preferably in the glove box."

That was my lecture for my 1911.

My wife's lecture for her Ruger was completely different in one important respect.
The idiot told her that the padlock was all she needed for transport.

Oh ya.... and of course, being told that we are required by law to keep the cable lock on the gun when it's at home.

"Gee Mr. Rapist.... hold on while I open my safe, take my gun out, remove the cable lock, load the magazine, load the gun, and get ready to shoot you"

Eff that.