PDA

View Full Version : Glock 23/19 Mod Question

Agent Tikki
07-11-2010, 8:32 PM
A little background, I would to say that I'm making a first time purchase and came across something really interesting. People saying that you can convert a .40 caliber Glock into a 9mm. I'm purchasing for home defence so I'd like the biggest punch I can handle. If the law says that you can only have 10 rounds in a magazine, I'd like the the 10 heaviest hitters that I can confidently handle. I've visted ranged and rented out the .40 cal and and 9 mm and can handle both. But I like the idea of having a 9mm to practice with as the ammo is cheaper.

Has anyone had first hand experience with modifying a Glock 23 (.40 caliber, compact) into a 9 mm? I've read that all you need is to change the barrel, but then, some people say that you also need to change the slide, rod, spring and magazine. I mean, 9mm = .38 caliber so besides the overall length of the round the diameter of the round is almost the same so I would believe the magazine is possibly interchangeable. How reliable is a Glock 23 9mm? Does it FTF often? Thinking about it the Glock 23 should have a would have stouter internal to handle the hotter .40 cal round, so range plinking a 9mm should be child's play....right?

Any help insight greatly appreciated! TIA!

ps. Are the 4th Gen Glock gonna be approved any time soon for CA? I'm dying to get my hands around one....:D

Noah3683
07-11-2010, 8:43 PM
they make a conversion barrel. Sometimes the .40 mags work, some times they don't. It's best to just get some 9mm mags as well. No the 4th gen's will not be approved. They do not have the proper safety features in place and Glock has no intention of making a CA compliant 4th gen. You would have to get one through a ppt

jdg30
07-11-2010, 8:46 PM
I have a Glock 27 (.40) with a .40 to 9mm conversion barrel for the G27 and some G26 (9mm) magazines. I have shot several hundred rounds of 9mm through it and it has worked flawless.

If you are going to convert calibers you should get the appropriate magazines for the caliber and get a conversion barrel made for the gun instead of just putting a stock 9mm barrel in the .40 gun. The conversion barrels have the same outside diameter as the stock .40 barrel but are chambered in 9mm. The stock 9mm barrel has a smaller outside diameter than the .40.

Some people recommend changing the ejector also but I don't think it's necessary unless you are having malfunctions with the barrel/mag switch alone.

I have a KKM .40 to 9mm conversion barrel and it is excellent quality and very accurate. It is a little more expensive than other brands but it is worth it.

Josh3239
07-11-2010, 8:50 PM
I have a Glock 23 with a LW 9mm conversion barrel. You can get an entierely new upper assembly or just buy a conversion barrel. For self defense, I'd get the new slide assembly or stick with .40S&W. For practice/plinking a conversion barrel will suite you fine. I didn't even bother with the .40 mags, I picked up some 9mm mags and those work perfectly.

Agent Tikki
07-11-2010, 9:02 PM
that's awesome, thank you all!

yoda888
07-11-2010, 10:43 PM
If you buy an OEM glock 9mm for your G23, there's a s/n on it. Do we need to worry about this s/n? (I know my original G23 barrel's s/n matches the s/n of my G23)

Thanks!

Josh3239
07-11-2010, 11:02 PM
There is no law prohibiting changing a handgun's caliber, if that is what your asking? Matching parts of the handgun don't have to stay together, often times when you buy parts kits for things like AKs or SKS rifles their numbers aren't matching.

Shady
07-11-2010, 11:12 PM
what about converting a 9mm glock to 40 ?
does that work?

Agent Tikki
07-11-2010, 11:27 PM
from what I understand, the glock .40 cal is a couple ounces heavier than the 9mm. I'm guessing that its because the internals are beefier to withstand the added power of a 40 cal. So I'm pretty sure a .40 cal can handle the 9mm but I don't think it goes the other way around.

cmace22
07-12-2010, 9:03 AM
I have a Glock 23 with a LW 9mm conversion barrel. You can get an entierely new upper assembly or just buy a conversion barrel. For self defense, I'd get the new slide assembly or stick with .40S&W. For practice/plinking a conversion barrel will suite you fine. I didn't even bother with the .40 mags, I picked up some 9mm mags and those work perfectly.

Where can you fine a complete upper and for how much.

Thanks

cmace22
07-12-2010, 9:04 AM
what about converting a 9mm glock to 40 ?
does that work?

Because the 40 barrel is thicker you cannot use the 9mm slide with the larger barrel so no unless you buy a new slide to match the barrel.

XYZ
07-12-2010, 9:28 AM
But I like the idea of having a 9mm to practice with as the ammo is cheaper.

You can also get an Advantage Arms .22LR conversion kit so you can swap out the barrel and slide for your G17/G22 or G19/G23 to shoot .22. This way you get the feel of your handgun without the cost of the ammo. It's a decent way to practice if you want to save on ammo.

Here's the link. I already have one but last time I heard these were backordered for months but they were starting to catch-up on their orders.

http://www.advantagearms.com/

Corbin Dallas
07-12-2010, 9:49 AM
A little background, I would to say that I'm making a first time purchase and came across something really interesting. People saying that you can convert a .40 caliber Glock into a 9mm. I'm purchasing for home defence so I'd like the biggest punch I can handle. If the law says that you can only have 10 rounds in a magazine, I'd like the the 10 heaviest hitters that I can confidently handle. I've visted ranged and rented out the .40 cal and and 9 mm and can handle both. But I like the idea of having a 9mm to practice with as the ammo is cheaper.

Practice with what you shoot. If you practice with 9mm and use 40S&W full power self defense ammo, you're wasting your money on 9mm. The kick from 40 is 5x+ 9mm ammo.

If you want the biggest take down you can get, buy a 45ACP Glock 21 or 30. If you want REAL take down power, buy a 10mm in the form of a G20 or G29.

10mm > 45ACP all day long when it comes to self defense.

Another option is to get a Glock 32, buy a conversion barrel for 40S&W and practice with the 40 ammo. Then use the 357sig ammo as self defense. The round has great stopping power. Some of the Texas Rangers that use this cartridge call it the DRT (dead right there) round.

ps. Are the 4th Gen Glock gonna be approved any time soon for CA? I'm dying to get my hands around one....:D

4th gens will probably NOT be allowed in CA. Only time will tell.

Josh3239
07-12-2010, 9:57 AM
You can find both stripped and complete uppers on gunbroker. Lone Wolf sells stripped uppers and all the parts with it to assemble your own. Currently LW has all stripped slides in stock except the Glock 19 (atleast the last time I checked) and they are $177 or so. Midway, Brownells, and other small Glock online retailers should have all the internal slide parts. I think there are a few other companies that do Glock slides and barrels. I know Bar-Sto is supposed to make excellent barrels.

Where can you fine a complete upper and for how much.

Thanks

delisle
07-12-2010, 9:59 AM
Practice with what you shoot. If you practice with 9mm and use 40S&W full power self defense ammo, you're wasting your money on 9mm. The kick from 40 is 5x+ 9mm ammo.

If you want the biggest take down you can get, buy a 45ACP Glock 21 or 30. If you want REAL take down power, buy a 10mm in the form of a G20 or G29.

10mm > 45ACP all day long when it comes to self defense.

Another option is to get a Glock 32, buy a conversion barrel for 40S&W and practice with the 40 ammo. Then use the 357sig ammo as self defense. The round has great stopping power. Some of the Texas Rangers that use this cartridge call it the DRT (dead right there) round.

4th gens will probably NOT be allowed in CA. Only time will tell.

I practice with full power 45 ACP and keep the exact same load chambered for home defense. To me it makes no sense to practice with any other caliber than what you would actually use if the need arised. Practicing with a 22lr is fine if that is what you will use if the need arises to defend what is yours, practice what you use. Train how you fight!

cmace22
07-12-2010, 10:06 AM
You can find both stripped and complete uppers on gunbroker. Lone Wolf sells stripped uppers and all the parts with it to assemble your own. Currently LW has all stripped slides in stock except the Glock 19 (atleast the last time I checked) and they are $177 or so. Midway, Brownells, and other small Glock online retailers should have all the internal slide parts. I think there are a few other companies that do Glock slides and barrels. I know Bar-Sto is supposed to make excellent barrels.

Thanks for flexibility sake I may look in to one of these.