View Full Version : anyone have problems with HK mag release?

07-11-2010, 8:23 PM
I noticed the HK kinda has a funny mag release as opposed to a Sig or A Glock. Does anyone who has experience with the HK find it kinda funky? do you have to retrain for muscle memory?

07-11-2010, 8:42 PM
Not me, I find that I have to retrain myself when shooting a gun with the more traditional, American preferred button release. I shoot HKs and Walthers a lot so I'm more used to the trigger guard release.

07-11-2010, 9:01 PM
I found em to be a bit stiff... Do you use your thumb or index finger?

07-11-2010, 9:02 PM
I got used to it quickly. I have large hands, and my thumb can reach just enough to work it. If you have small hands, use your trigger finger. I actually use a combo of both and it's simple.

07-11-2010, 9:37 PM
My answer is its faster than a button behind the trigger guard. My reloads are made from my middle finger while my thumb, ring and pinky finger never relax tension. The gun reloads are done with the my strong hand directly in front at chin level. Reacquiring is fast as the gun rotates 30 degrees back to vertical during pushout. I use this same technique with glock XD's 1911's. I am left handed and all my weapons are either ambi or left side(right handed) mag releases. Myself and most I shoot with, have no issue using different style releases. Yes I love HK's trigger guard mag release. I have yet to use any thumb release mag button with my thumb as they are intended.

07-11-2010, 9:40 PM
I find them faster than traditional releases. Plus there's nothing sticking out of the side of the firearm that can get pressed by accident. And yes I've had that happen to me on a carry weapon.

07-11-2010, 9:41 PM
I've had a USP compact for a few years now, and a P30 for a little while, and I actually prefer HK's mag release to the traditional button. I use my middle finger because it feels more natural and seems to give me more leverage on the release.

07-11-2010, 9:42 PM
I like the HK mag release. As stated above, mags can be dropped much quicker.

07-11-2010, 10:21 PM
like all guns, it boils down to training. i shoot southpaw and i use my stronghand index finger to release the mag. that's what works for me.

07-11-2010, 10:24 PM
hk's makes more sense. alot harder to accidentally release a mag in your pants/shirt.

07-11-2010, 10:31 PM
I can see how it can be more practical to have the HK mag release, but it still seems awkward to me. Ill have to rent one and give it a shot. I know there has been times where mag releases have caught up on clothing, but Ive never had it happen. Also, couldn't the rather large slide release or decock be kind of cumbersome and have the same Clothes snagging issue?

07-11-2010, 10:37 PM
The slide release doesn't catch on anything because the plastic frame is beveled around it and it's recessed. The selector on the other hand, possibly could but like most controls on firearms, they're angled and radiused

07-11-2010, 10:45 PM
I love the HK mag release. I use my trigger finger and drop mags much much quicker than traditional mag release and don't have to change my grip as much as I do for traditional mag release.

07-12-2010, 10:15 AM
If it were possible, I would modify all my fighting handguns to have an HK mag release. It's comfortable, fast, and doesn't require you to adjust your grip during reloads which makes it easier to keep the sights on target.

07-12-2010, 11:40 AM
The HK USP is my first handgun and the one I've owned the longest. Because of that, I am so used to it's style of magazine release that all other pistols seem weird.
I'm definitely a lot faster with reloads on the USP than I am with my other pistols.

07-12-2010, 12:35 PM
I like my HK P2000 AMBI mag release, I did need to get use to swiping it downward at first, but once use to it, I really like it, I have used my middle finger and my thumb with good result.

07-12-2010, 1:32 PM
I like HK's mag release, even though I'm not much of HK fan. It's the only ambi mag release system that make sense to me. And every shooter can choose to use index or thumb to drop their mag. I love it.

07-12-2010, 1:34 PM
I use the middle finger of my trigger hand to push the release down. Faster and more positive than using the ambi release on the other side, but that's still an option if needed. No need to loosen my shooting grip to accomplish a reload either.

07-12-2010, 5:00 PM
I could never get with the mag release on the USP.
That was the only factor for me not owning one.
The ones I've fired shoot so nice, but the paddle mag release just doesn't work for me.
Wish it did.

07-13-2010, 9:57 PM
Just finished 3 days of training on the H&K P2000 V5. I use my middle finger (strong hand) for the mag release and it is super fast.

07-13-2010, 10:12 PM
i use telepathic mag release.

before that it was weapon hand index finger

07-13-2010, 11:06 PM
I didn't know so many people
liked the hk mag release all I ever heard were people gripe about it I think the are great pistols

07-14-2010, 10:08 AM
i use telepathic mag release.

before that it was weapon hand index finger
You should switch to telekinetic, it's much faster. ;)

I've had my HK USP for about 10 years now and it's by far my favorite mag release. Strong hand, middle finger.