PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92FS

echo1
07-11-2010, 7:32 PM
Hi guys. I just picked up a Beretta 92FS Inox, 2-10 rd mags and holster for $425, in great condition. It's noticably lighter than my Tanfoglio, even with a longer barrel. I think I did good on the price, any issues I need to look out for? Thanks PAX.

Oldnoob
07-11-2010, 7:58 PM
Where did you get that deal. My brother is looking one too.

Miataguy
07-11-2010, 9:29 PM
That's a heck of a great price.
I paid a lot more for mine just last week.
Congrats on a good deal!

Mr. Beretta
07-11-2010, 9:32 PM
Outstanding price!

Welcome to the family.

Sajedene
07-11-2010, 9:33 PM
Amazing price indeed! LUCKY!

I love how the Beretta's shoot. I want one.

LibertySympathizer
07-11-2010, 9:37 PM
I think I did good on the price, any issues I need to look out for?

Jealousy.

Bullwinkle
07-11-2010, 9:50 PM
any issues I need to look out for?
As far as reliability goes, none. :) My 92FS Inox has been 100% reliable. Well, I take that back... I tried using that cheap Independence ammo one time, and the ammo is so lousy (weak, dirty, etc) that it wasn't even powerful enough to cycle the slide a few times. With semi-decent ammo, though, it's an impressive weapon (IMO).

The thing you have to look out for is that slide-mounted safety/decocker lever. When you manipulate the slide, you may very well discover that the lever has flipped down, rendering your pistol useless. Get in the habit of sweeping off the safety every time you manipulate the slide. The Beretta 92/96 would be the perfect handgun (IMO) if the decocker was relocated off the slide.

You might hear people tell you that Beretta 92's have a problem with slides/frames cracking. That's an old wives' tale. A few did break in the early days, but that has long been fixed.

The 180-degree ejection port is a feature, not a detriment. It is a great idea... but... be very careful when doing malfunction clearances. It is quite easy to get your hand caught in the ejection port and cut up during Type 3 malfunction clearances (the voice of experience). Make sure you grip the slide behind the ejection port.

Feel free to ask if you have any other specific questions.

A plain ol' bruniton finished 92FS for $425 is a great deal... an Inox for that price??? Man, you did fantastic! I'm green with envy. :D

John

74elko
07-11-2010, 10:25 PM
got my 92 for free cause my gramps said it fte's every shot. clean and lubed it and now I've shot at least 1000 rounds through it without a hiccup. great gun but i guess my only advice is to keep it lubed

Old4eyes
07-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Here is a URL that discusses the negative history of the Beretta 92/M9:
http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/true_story_m9.htm

So now that we've got that out of the way there are a few things I would advise:

Take a look at the locking block, if the gun has a lot of rounds through it, it might be needing replacement.

If you are dry firing, use snap caps. I have heard stories about people breaking firing pins and the manual that came with my 92FS states that an expended cartridge should be used for dry firing. Since the manual states you need something in there, it's a good bet they know something.

Shoot it for a while and get a feel for the trigger pull while in double action. One of the cheapest and easiest upgrades to a 92FS is to put in a 92D mainspring (or Wolf 16 lb.) It drastically reduces the strength needed for DA vs SA.

I'd advise against telling people the price you paid. You'll be accused of theft.

echo1
07-12-2010, 9:07 AM
Thank for the input guys. I was mistaken on the "Inox" part. It's an American made stainless 92FS, I wasn't aware of the Italian vs American production runs. An old friend of mine with an FFL hooks me up from time to time with some sweet deals. I also got my stainless Tanfoglio from him, as well as a few long guns over the years. Every few months he'll give me a call and say "I think you should come over and take a look at this", and I'm usually there be for he hanks up the phone. He's gettin on these days and can't get around in the field to well, so I bird dog for him.

j1133s
07-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Hi guys. I just picked up a Beretta 92FS Inox, 2-10 rd mags and holster for $425, in great condition. It's noticably lighter than my Tanfoglio, even with a longer barrel. I think I did good on the price, any issues I need to look out for? Thanks PAX.

Congrats! THat's a really good price for a NIB 92fs Inox!!
The 92fs is one of the easiest to shoot pistols that I've ever shot.
The late productions have no issues besides being so big for a 15-rnder pistol.

j1133s
07-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Thank for the input guys. I was mistaken on the "Inox" part. It's an American made stainless 92FS, I wasn't aware of the Italian vs American production runs....

I thought all stainless Berettas were referred to as "Inox".
Is that not true? Would you clarify for me the difference?

OneSevenDeuce
07-12-2010, 1:40 PM
+1 on the keeping it lubed part. Some guns will do alright dry (not that you would WANT to do that on any gun) but the 92FS isn't one of them. I made the mistake one time of borrowing a buddies M9 for some training I was doing in the military. I assumed it was lubed and yeah, I had a malfunction after about 10 rounds. That sure was embarrassing. Other than that, which was really my fault and not the gun's, it is an excellent firearm. Congrats on the deal.

Call_me_Tom
07-12-2010, 3:08 PM
You got a sweet deal, although I got a better one on mine!

You shouldn't have any issues with your pistol & any additions that you make are less for reliability & more for customization. Ben Stoeger (pronounced Stager) has shot a few 100,000+ rounds through his Berettas. He has a video posted on YouTube & he covers some of the issues that you may run in too.

Locking blocks & slide cracks haven't been around since the 80's so no worries there. When you start putting 5000+ rounds through it you might need to change a few springs but hardware wise you'll be fine.

I use grease on the slide & lub on everything else.

XYZ
07-12-2010, 3:15 PM
An old friend of mine with an FFL hooks me up from time to time with some sweet deals.

That's a great friend to have. Great deal.

resident-shooter
07-12-2010, 3:31 PM
should have bought a sig

orangeusa
07-12-2010, 3:43 PM
Sorry I'm late to the party. But that's a hellova price - especially on Inox. Wiki (and others) - "Inox, from French acier inoxydable, is a synonym for stainless steel"

Bullwinkle - I agree - sometimes while racking, I'll kick the safety on. Or if in holster, sometimes safety will be down, so learning to sweep safety off is good advice. But it's fine.

My only advice is generic to all guns. Tear it down - inspect and clean, and lube with what ever you like best. Use some sort of grease on the rails of the frame. I use lithium grease on every moving part of any handgun I have.. But other folks do fine with their oils/CLP's/EEZOX - whatever.

I shot a lot of rounds through mine in a year. Only problem was one mag that I dropped and gun started feeding very strangely. The gun is my favorite.

Berettas IMO are slightly finicky about magazines. Stock Beretta (marked PB) or MDS or MecGar are the top 3. Early Checkmates had some problems with the troops...

Enjoy. I paid $680 for one NIB last year and it was USA with black controls. Same as Italian or early USA all-Inox, just not as cool looking.

BTW - echo1 - Really dig your avatar!

echo1
07-12-2010, 6:28 PM
BTW - echo1 - Really dig your avatar!

It is cool. A member from another forum did the art work and photo shopped it on the B-25. He's letting me plagerize it. It's hard to see, but it's a wounded Red Fox titled "Second Amednment". Very apropriate for us "gun nuts".

Peter W Bush
07-12-2010, 7:09 PM
should have bought a sig

......Seriously? The guy got a great deal on a great gun. I have a Sig and a 92 and I love the both, but the trigger on my Sig feels worse than my Ruger.

echo1
07-12-2010, 8:13 PM
should have bought a sig

I didn't go looking for the Beretta, it fell in my lap. You gotta Sig for dirt, let me know I'll swoop that up too. Anything for that matter. I'm a sucker for a deal. PAX

Krusher
07-13-2010, 2:00 PM
get another 92fs deal like this gimme a shout :)..
Nice score, 92fs is one I enjoy at the range. Easy clean too!

MicronuT
07-13-2010, 8:02 PM
pics

forgiven
07-14-2010, 2:11 AM
That was a heck of a deal. Good for you OP.