PDA

View Full Version : Pistol History

corvetteguy
07-11-2010, 6:27 PM
How can I find out if a pistol has been used in a crime or if it is stolen? I was given a pistol that was in a box of my uncles stuff when he passed away. I know my uncle was a good guy but his step kids were not! I am afraid he may have aquired the revolver from one of them as he was not much of a gun guy. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

David

corvetteguy
07-12-2010, 2:20 PM
Really, no one knows how to find out if a gun is stolen! I would like to see it returned to it's owner if it is stolen, or move on with the process of enjoying my new firearm if it's clean. With all of the vast knowledge here at Calguns I'm sure someone can point me in the right direction!

Thanks!

-hanko
07-12-2010, 2:29 PM
Really, no one knows how to find out if a gun is stolen! I would like to see it returned to it's owner if it is stolen, or move on with the process of enjoying my new firearm if it's clean. With all of the vast knowledge here at Calguns I'm sure someone can point me in the right direction!

Thanks!
Call your local PD, give them the serial number, and ask. If you're worried, make the call from a payphone.

-hanko

ke6guj
07-12-2010, 3:07 PM
Its not that hard. Just have the local PD run the numbers. If it is stolen, they'll keep it. that is why many LEAs won't run the numbers unless the firearm is physically present. Doesn't do much good to tell someone over the phone that a gun is stolen and that they need to turn it in.

In your case, did you follow the law when you acquired the handgun from your uncle's estate? When you did the op-law form, CADOJ gets the numbers of the handgun and might do a stolen check as well.

Call your local PD, give them the serial number, and ask. If you're worried, make the call from a payphone.

-hankonot all PDs will do stolen checks over the phone. They would require that an officer has posssession of it while they do the check so tha they can confiscate it on the spot, if need be.

If I am a cop and I tell a person, over the phone, that XYZ item is stolen, do you think it would be likely that we would recover it? or would it just disappear?

pyromensch
07-12-2010, 7:54 PM
and assuming that you don't live in san fran, where they will use any excuse to take you firearm