PDA

View Full Version : Sig,Glock, CZ-75...looking for a 9mm to last for life

Robidouxs
07-11-2010, 6:51 PM
I have shot many different calibers and have decided that 9mm is the most cost effective and available for a self loading pistol. Looking for something that will stay with me the rest of my life. Willing to spend $1,000 since this would be my own personal insurance policy for life.

I am aware 22lr conversion kits are available for each of the pistols. Of the pistols noted below, can anyone comment on the availability and cost of parts and ability to have the pistol repaired should something break or become worn out?

Primary use would be home defense and range usage for training until the laws in California change or I decide to move to a more friendly state for work. I naturally shoot left handed but I am training to also shoot with the right hand.

I have thus narrowed the possible field to this:

CZ-75 SP01
CZ-P01
Glock 17
Glock 19
Sig P226
Sig P229

If I am not clear about anything, please notify me. I want to have the best answers possible.

shoupdawg
07-11-2010, 6:59 PM
As a sig guy, I'll weigh in for the Sig. I prefer the DA/SA and the hefty feel of the all metal 226's and 229's. My buddy has a stainless steel 229 and 226 in .40 and 9mm respectivey. I was unaware that the 229 came in 9mm.

Why not get a 226st (stainless) in .40? That's what I have and I have a drop in .357 sig barrel. .357 sig is like a "plus p" 9mm round. And you can also get a bar-sto barrel for 9mm. So you get the best of all 3 worlds.

That said, if I were getting a glock I've heard good things about the G17 and have also heard good things about the cz.

Good luck!

Here's my reverse 2-tone stainless sig 226 in 40:

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo120/shoupdawg/IMG_0862.jpg

mblat
07-11-2010, 7:06 PM
While I am personally partial to CZs the correct answer here is:
Any of the above. Pick the one you like the best, that fit your better, that you shout best.

As far as repair costs - I do not think it is important. While any machine ( and guns are the machines ) can and will break under extensive use and after some time all those guns are very reliable. And what cost to repair ten years from now will be is anybody's guess.

paul0660
07-11-2010, 7:08 PM
Please get a metal gun. I have a CZ75BD that I will never sell.

oddjob
07-11-2010, 7:08 PM
Good list. I have owned the Sig 226 (9mm) and currently own the G-17 and two CZ SP-01's.

I shoot USPSA and LOVE the CZ SP-01's. Feels the best (for me), accurate (the best 9mm shooter I have ever shot) and dead nuts reliable. Plenty of spare parts, holsters around.

Glock 17 & 19. Good guns and plenty of parts & accessories. Reliable, but not as accurate as the CZ or P226. Only reason I have this gun is I won it and shoot it in Glock matches. Shooting Glock matches is fun by the way.

Sig 226. Accurate, reliable, plenty of part & accessories. It sits too high in my hand for me to shoot fast AND accurate. Again....thats just me.

No experience with the others on your list. Suggest you try them out first. I'm a CZ dude.

CALATRAVA
07-11-2010, 7:14 PM
cz. I second the metal gun comment.

p-01 -owned it myself. Very much regret having to sell it(laid off, needed to pay bills)

1911Operator
07-11-2010, 7:23 PM
you have 3 great options! either one would suit you well. I personally have the G26 and I have currently ran 600 rounds through it without cleaning it. not a single jam. or problem, I want to see how many rounds it will go up to before I get a malfunction. If It goes to 1,500 ill just stop my torture test and give up :D. but I did get a miss fire, but that was the ammo's fault not the gun. It was with winchester ranger T-series ammo. no big deal, it happens once a while.

Bobotheclown
07-11-2010, 8:28 PM
If your not set on buying new, you can probably buy two of the guns on your list in the Private sales section for around 1k if you wait for the right deal to come along.

RaceDay
07-11-2010, 8:57 PM
Great list! I'd suggest test driving them all and see which fits you best. I'm a lefty who likes shooting the Sig P228 best but the Sigs controls are not very lefty friendly. You cannot lose with the 3 manufacturers that you have chosen.

RT13
07-11-2010, 8:59 PM
They will all outlast you. But although I love both Glock and CZ, the Sig always gets my vote if you are to only own one brand or one pistol.

mike100
07-11-2010, 9:17 PM
I have a CZ , but the glock has less parts and a lot of aftermarket support. It's simple, cheaper, and easier to get stuff for, and won't likely ever fail in the first place.

that said, I do not currently own one.

jdg30
07-11-2010, 9:26 PM
Any of those guns will last you a lifetime if you take care of them like you should. Get the one that feels best for you, don't worry about what is best for someone else.

Bullwinkle
07-11-2010, 9:31 PM
I own a Sig P226 & P229. I also have a CZ-75B. I'll never touch a Glock, but that's me. I prefer all-metal pistols; the Sigs have aluminum frames and are lighter, the CZ is all steel.

While the CZ is a fine pistol, one which Jeff Cooper was very fond of also, I personally do not like it as a combat pistol because there is not enough surface area on the slide behind the ejection port due to the inside rail design. Malfunction clearances under pressure with barely anything to grab onto is not high on my list of desireable features. The grip is a little slimmer than I would prefer also (I wear an 'XL' glove).

The Sigs are great weapons... not perfect, mind you (I hate the location of the slide release), but as close to perfect as you can come (IMO), which is why they are both my "go to" guns. Honestly, the grips on the Sigs are too small for me also, especially the P229's; but a pair of Hogue rubber grips solves that problem (a modification I highly recommend). As for longevity, as someone already said, the guns will outlast you (and probably your kids) with proper maintenance. I think the "factory certified pre-owned" Sigs are proof of that... police trade-ins with heavy use that still last a lifetime when sold publicly afterward. [My P226 is a CPO, and I'll put it up against any pistol, new or otherwise.] As far as parts availability, you can easily find "parts kits" for a Sig (see Midway USA, for example). I've never seen a parts kit for a Glock or CZ; doesn't mean they don't exist, just I haven't seen any personally.

I don't know what Sig customer service is like--which is a good thing, I suppose--but I can vouch first-hand for CZ customer service. They'll treat you right if you need them.

Happy shopping!
John

Notblake
07-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Every time I look at the wonder nines I end up back at the CZ section, maybe I need a single action, or p01 or sp01, I wonder why people buy anything else. Ergo's are unparalleled, reliability is a non-issue, accuracy is fantastic, trigger is SWEET, accessories are there if you need them, (I don't really get the "accessories" for a handgun, flashlight, grips? ..... umm....)

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/321/img00116201004201557.jpg

LOVE!

smittty
07-11-2010, 11:32 PM
I have shot many different calibers and have decided that 9mm is the most cost effective and available for a self loading pistol. Looking for something that will stay with me the rest of my life. Willing to spend $1,000 since this would be my own personal insurance policy for life.

I am aware 22lr conversion kits are available for each of the pistols. Of the pistols noted below, can anyone comment on the availability and cost of parts and ability to have the pistol repaired should something break or become worn out?

CZ-75 SP01
CZ-P01
Glock 17
Glock 19
Sig P226
Sig P229

If I am not clear about anything, please notify me. I want to have the best answers possible.

Everyone is going to have their preference and every gun feels different to each of us but for me the single best performing handgun I have tried is the CZ P-01. I have thousands of rounds thru it and never a malfunction. I also have a 22 LR Kadet conversion kit for it and it also has thousands of rounds thru it of cheap federal value pack ammo and I only recently had a ftf. I can without hesitation recommend this gun and the CZ Kadet conversion kit.

I have shot just about every gun available and I like a lot of them but the CZ P-01 has proved to be the best of the best.

You list both compact and full size guns. It should be easy to eliminate one or the other. If you have a wide hand then go full size. If you have a narrow hand like me then choose compact. The P-01 has a little bit shorter grip than the P229 but the P229 and SP-01 are very similar.

Basically the size of your hand will reduce your 6 choices down to 3.

I'd pass on the Glock. They are very good but if you will have just the one I would choose the CZ or Sig before the Glock.

The CZ Kadet 22LR converions kit is the best. I tried them all and it's the most reliable. More reliable than my Ruger MKIII or MKII.

I've said it before that if I was forced to have just one handgun it would be the P-01.

Smitty

rips31
07-11-2010, 11:47 PM
what happened to the sig p228? the sig p228 is probably the finest 9mm i have ever shot. it is def better than my p226 in 9mm. imo, def better than glock, hk, s&w, cz, fn, and a few others i can't recall. should be in your price range, too. check sigforum for some good prices.

go shoot them all and see what you like best. good luck!

Primary use would be home defense and range usage for training until the laws in California change or I decide to move to a more friendly state for work. I naturally shoot left handed but I am training to also shoot with the right hand.

CZ-75 SP01
CZ-P01
Glock 17
Glock 19
Sig P226
Sig P229

elSquid
07-11-2010, 11:51 PM

CZ-75 SP01
CZ-P01
Glock 17
Glock 19
Sig P226
Sig P229

If you haven't yet shot all of these, then try them out and see which you have an affinity for.

If you have shot them all and still can't decide, just buy the Glock 19. It's ubiquitous, reliable, inexpensive, parts are easy to get and you can maintain it yourself. I'd choose it over the G17 if I was limited to only one gun, especially if there was a good chance that I'd be needing a CCW piece sometime in the future.

-- Michael

gorenut
07-12-2010, 9:17 AM
All of the firearms you listed are fine ones and will last you a lifetime. The difference is some require more maintenance than others. Are you someone who won't mind keeping your firearm running "wet" all the time? Although its recommended that one cleans his/her firearm after every range visit (or every two) - arguably... the Glock can go on without being cleaned and lubed as much as the other choices. I forgot who it was.. but he was conducting a test to see how long he can keep his Glock running without any maintenance. I also know of people who own Glocks for nearly a decade and NEVER clean their gun and it still goes bang every time (I still wouldn't recommend it though). I'm personally a Sig guy, but I definitely respect Glocks in that aspect. I can't imagine running any Sigs without a healthy amount of grease on the slide. For me personally though, I go with Sigs because something about them just gives me a great feeling when I handle them. That feeling is usually only rivaled by quality six shooters and 1911s. I like Glocks, but to me, they just feel like another run of the mill handgun (a good one albeit).

PS: I know this isn't on your list.. but have you considered looking into a SigPro 2022? I think its a nice middle grounds between Glock and Sigs. You get the durability and rust/wear-resistance of a polymer, while still running the Sig format/feel. It shoots just as good, if not better than the classic P-Series (especially the trigger) out of the box (P-Series with work done on em are superior though IMO). You can go to TopGunSupply.com right now and they just got their hands on a bunch of new style 2022s with e2-styled grips, external extractor, and alloy short trigger.

DaveFJ80
07-12-2010, 9:47 AM
I have a G19, my friend has a CZ-75 and a Sig P226 & P228. I've shot them all side by side at the range a few times, including a G17 with my G19.

For me, I like the Glocks better as I'm more accurate with them and they feel better in my hands. But that's also probably because I've gotten used to my G19 over the past year and I'm used to the lighter feel. The Sig & CZ are good guns, don't get me wrong, but for me the Glock is a better shooter and more accurate on target (I haven't taken a Sig or CZ on a handgun course, but when you see others they are mostly using Glocks out there).

Do what others have said.... go out and rent them and shoot them all and see which ones feels the best for you. I actually like the G17 size a little more than my G19 because I have bigger hands, but the G19 is a nice compromise in size that I can still use very well and comfortably, as well as my wife or other friends with smaller hands (where as the G17 didn't feel as comfortable to them).

SkiDevil
07-12-2010, 10:17 AM
I have shot many different calibers . . . decided that 9mm is the most cost effective and available for a self loading pistol. Looking for something that will stay with me the rest of my life. Willing to spend $1,000 since this would be my own personal insurance policy for life.

Primary use would be home defense and range us[e] ... I naturally shoot left handed but I am training to also shoot with the right hand.

CZ-75 SP01
CZ-P01
Glock 17
Glock 19
Sig P226
Sig P229

My personal opinion and recommendation, after owning several Glocks and SIGs, is to shoot each of the models which you listed.

If it is high on your priority to maintain the pistol/s yourself, then Glock would be the logical choice.

Learning to disassemble a Glock pistol is something that can be taught in an afternoon (roughly 32 parts), whereas, a SIG 200 series Classic pistol typically has over 80 plus parts and requires more attention to detail and possibly some fitting, dependent upon the model and the repair being completed.

The size of your hand/ length of fingers is important as well. I personally favor the SIG 226 and the full-size G-17. They fit my hand better than the compacts. You will know after trying them-out.

I beleive that both the SIG and Glock are a combat proven platform and either would serve you well. Just figure out what is most important feature wise for your needs and choose accordingly.

As for myself, I now own 1 Glock and several SIGs.

For me, the choice came down to what fit my hand best and what was the most accurate pistol for my purposes. The SIG 226 in 9mm is one of the most accurate pistols made.

SkiDevil

P.S. If you have a grand to spend, it is entirely conceivable that you could find both a SIG 226 and G-17 used in good condition for roughly that amount or slightly more. Then you could shoot them for a while and keep the one you prefer.;)

This would be more difficult but still possible with the 229 as well.

-hanko
07-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Read posts #2 and #12.;)

There is no "better" choice among your candidates except for the one that helps you shoot youy best. Start with which gun fits your hand the most naturally, and go on from there.

Anecdotal recommendations are interesting but not applicable, given the guns you've picked.

My choice, which also is immaterial, would be for the CZ...but I also like the Browning HP, Colt 1911, and S&W revolvers in .357 and .41.

Different strokes...you won't be disappointed by any pistol on your list.

-hanko

ianS
07-12-2010, 10:38 AM
All 3 have their loyal fans. But of the 3 if I were to pick one for long term durability and ease of maintenance I'd vote Glock.
can anyone comment on the availability and cost of parts and ability to have the pistol repaired should something break or become worn out?
With Glock part are tend be the cheapest, the easiest to find, and practically anyone can learn to detail strip, clean, and replace parts on a Glock at home.

Are those reasons enough to choose a Glock over the others? That depends.

In terms of frequency of parts breakages I trust Glock 17 and SIG 226 more than the CZ75. But that's me.

j1133s
07-12-2010, 10:47 AM

Get an HK P2000. It is within your price range and perfectly suited for your needs (incl your wrong handed-ness). You will have to learn it well as the HK is not easy to shoot, but once you learn it, this pistol will do everything you listed the best (compared w/ the guns you've listed).

bsg
07-12-2010, 11:03 AM
[QUOTE=mblat;4600912]While I am personally partial to CZs the correct answer here is:
Any of the above. Pick the one you like the best, that fit your better, that you shoot best.

+1....

Freagan
07-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Any of those will fit the bill really well, I am just partial to Sigs

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/haha420/CIMG02752.jpg?t=1278959880

stormvet
07-12-2010, 6:22 PM
I gotta agree with most everyone else, anyone of the guns you mentioned will last you a life time and serve you well. Just pick the one YOU like best and enjoy.

richzmn
07-12-2010, 6:26 PM
CZ----I have a 75B and I like it so much that I'm going to buy another.

Check out this article, http://www.best9mm.com/

esskay
07-12-2010, 11:12 PM
If your not set on buying new, you can probably buy two of the guns on your list in the Private sales section for around 1k if you wait for the right deal to come along.

I second this thought. You mention "personal insurance policy for life"... as defensive tools, you know that saying -- two is one and one is none!

Try them all out and if you decide you like Glock, get a pair of used ones, a G17 and a G19.

If you like the Sigs better, get a red box 226 and 229.

Personally, as defensive weapons I'd go for either of Sig or Glock over CZ.

SirLoki
07-19-2010, 5:41 PM
i have a glock 17 and a cz sp01.

i love both but lean toward the sp01 more because of the small frame design as well as the all metal construction. shooting 9mm out of it is a joy since the gun is nice and hefty. The CZ is also the closes thing you can get to a nice 1911 style SA trigger without actually owning a 1911 if you choose to have work done on it.

I personally do not like Sig because of the grip and trigger feel but that is just me, i had an old 228 and sold it.

rojocorsa
07-19-2010, 6:05 PM
Go out and see if you can rent those weapons. Try them all and see which one you feel most comfortable/works best for YOU personally.

Who cares what other people think? This is about you; even called it your "personal life insurance."

Then when you choose a pistol get training and learn how to shoot it properly. Granted, practice and training costs money--but some would argue that it's money well spent. If I could afford it, I would go out and do a training course; they sound fun anyway.

But the CZ, GLOCK, and SIGs all have solid reputations as wonderful pistols. I like the SIGs and GLOCKs myself, but I've never fired a CZ-75. I want to though. (I hear it's often underrated/under-appreciated).

5.56Geo
07-19-2010, 6:14 PM
I owned a Glock 1st gen and could never shoot well with it and sold it. I will never talk trash about the Glock, it's a great choice. I now own a SIG P6/225 and can hit anything I put the sights on.:D I think both the SIG or Glock could serve one well for a lifetime.

1911Luvr
07-19-2010, 7:04 PM
I'm a 1911 guy but I wanted to chime in because I have some experience with the guns in question. Personally the Glocks do not fit my hand well and I'm not a big fan of the grip profile but I have shot them and never experienced a failure. I own a Sig P220 and I love it, so if I were gonna get a 9mm I'd consider the 228 for grip size as it fits me better than a 226. As for the CZ, I have an EAA Witness which I understand is a copy of the CZ and it is a great feeling, good shooting gun. I'd personally go with the CZ out of all your choices because it feels the closest to a 1911 in my hand, and if you were to go with the EAA Witness you can get caliber conversions to go to .22LR, 10mm, .45ACP, .40S&W and of course 9mm. In the end it is like mentioned previously, buy a gun that you shoot well and not because someone else shoots it well and says it's good. If you narrow it down to the ones the fit your hand best (ask for assistance if you don't understand what a good grip on a pistol is) and then rent those ones to test shoot. A half dozen mags of each at paper targets will accurately illustrate you which you shot best. Buy that gun and don't look back! Good luck

4Defense
07-19-2010, 7:44 PM
All 6 choices are excellent choices.

1. Set $1,000 aside to buy one of the 6 choices.

2. Set $100,000 aside to buy ammo.

3. Shoot ALL the ammo bought with one of the 6 choices with regular maintenance (clean, grease, oil, etc..)

4. Then we'll talk if one of the choices will last you a life time.

Rhatical
07-19-2010, 8:14 PM
Have owned both the Glock and CZ-75B, not yet a Sig but have shot them extensively. As others said, what ever feels best to you is the way to go, but here's my perspective:
1. CZ-75B - get it!
2. Sig - best alternative.
3. Glock - not to my liking.

tbhracing
07-19-2010, 8:19 PM
I own all four- Sig 226, 228, Glock 17 and Glock 19.

Since you have 1k to blow, I would get the Glock 17 AND 19. Because having a back up pistol is the only way to fly.

I do love my SIGs, but I like the Glock for a few more features and weight.

You can hold all the pistols in your hand, but until you fire all of them at range, you really didnt test anything. You have to both hold AND fire them.

Both Sig and Glock will serve you well into death. :chris:

bballwizard05
07-19-2010, 8:23 PM
Dont flame me for this but.... RUGER P95 is a tank, and it's lifetime warranty will outlive you!! There I said it!

p.s.- tank as in durable and always goes bang, however it is not quite as sexy looking.

taguin
07-19-2010, 8:36 PM
I have to say...SIG.

Shady
07-19-2010, 9:00 PM
G19

Robidouxs
07-19-2010, 9:03 PM
Dont flame me for this but.... RUGER P95 is a tank, and it's lifetime warranty will outlive you!! There I said it!

p.s.- tank as in durable and always goes bang, however it is not quite as sexy looking.

So you're the one that bought the P95 I saw disappear in the shop!

gregshin
07-19-2010, 9:44 PM
Cz sp-01

Super Spy
07-19-2010, 9:45 PM
The next pistol I purchase will be a CZ-75 possibly an SP01, the next purchase after that will be a Glock 35. if you go the Glock route how about the Glock 34? Basicly a Glock 17L with enhancements...

kAnJii
07-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Beautiful pistol. reminds me of my BHP Practical.

l8apex
07-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Glock 19 525.00
Warren Tac NS or CTC Grip 150.00
Good Holster & Mag 75.00
Your selection of shooting Class 250.00

:cool:

kAnJii
07-19-2010, 10:40 PM
As a sig guy, I'll weigh in for the Sig. I prefer the DA/SA and the hefty feel of the all metal 226's and 229's. My buddy has a stainless steel 229 and 226 in .40 and 9mm respectivey. I was unaware that the 229 came in 9mm.

Why not get a 226st (stainless) in .40? That's what I have and I have a drop in .357 sig barrel. .357 sig is like a "plus p" 9mm round. And you can also get a bar-sto barrel for 9mm. So you get the best of all 3 worlds.

That said, if I were getting a glock I've heard good things about the G17 and have also heard good things about the cz.

Good luck!

Here's my reverse 2-tone stainless sig 226 in 40:

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo120/shoupdawg/IMG_0862.jpg

Reminds me of my Practical. awesome.

1911Luvr
07-19-2010, 11:54 PM

Yeah, it's a tank alright- might as well say Abrams on the side 'cause neither one fit my hand! Lol

Paradiddle
07-20-2010, 10:28 AM
While I am personally partial to CZs the correct answer here is:
Any of the above. Pick the one you like the best, that fit your better, that you shout best.

As far as repair costs - I do not think it is important. While any machine ( and guns are the machines ) can and will break under extensive use and after some time all those guns are very reliable. And what cost to repair ten years from now will be is anybody's guess.

I agree this post - I'm deeply in love with my 75SA/DA. Cannot say enough positive things about how this pistol points and shoots and how reliable it's been.

bombadillo
07-20-2010, 10:42 AM
While i'm a huge fan of the accuracy of the CZ's, I have seen a handful bought within the last couple of years that had nothing but problems with feeding and extraction. Only because I've seen this I would say sig although I don't shoot that well with one. The sigs that I've seen are VERY reliable and seem to all go bang every time. I am not a fan of the sights on sig and I can't stand Glock because I shoot better with the other two by a long shot, but for a gun that will last you a lifetime, goes bang every time, and holds their value well, I'd have to say Sig.

Shenaniguns
07-20-2010, 11:09 AM
All 3 have their loyal fans. But of the 3 if I were to pick one for long term durability and ease of maintenance I'd vote Glock.

With Glock part are tend be the cheapest, the easiest to find, and practically anyone can learn to detail strip, clean, and replace parts on a Glock at home.

Are those reasons enough to choose a Glock over the others? That depends.

In terms of frequency of parts breakages I trust Glock 17 and SIG 226 more than the CZ75. But that's me.

I agree here... 9mm Glocks are made to last 50k+ rounds easily with minimal maintenance.