PDA

View Full Version : Riverside County Sheriff's Election

Punkermonkey
04-13-2006, 12:57 PM
Does anyone know the political views of the two candidates running against Comrade Doyle for Riverside County Sheriff? This would be a good year to replace him with a pro CCW sheriff. For that matter, is there anyone on this board qualified and willing to run against him? I would be willing to make a contribution toward your campaign.

Paladin
04-13-2006, 7:05 PM
Does anyone know the political views of the two candidates running against Comrade Doyle for Riverside County Sheriff? This would be a good year to replace him with a pro CCW sheriff.

Looks like you're the one to head up "The Riverside County CCW Permit Challenge!" If you can find a pro-CCW permit candidate and they win Riverside, that would free nearly 2 million Californians from discriminatory issue! If OC, LAC and RC all went "virtual Shall-Issue," that would be 15 out 35 million Californians -- nearly half the state!

Since Riverside abuts Orange County, you should coordinate w/some of the OC Challenge hit targets on either side of the border w/one group of people for both candidates, since people from both counties are likely to shop/shoot/whatever at those locations. Have fun! :D

For that matter, is there anyone on this board qualified and willing to run against him? I would be willing to make a contribution toward your campaign.

Sorry, but the cutoff for the paperwork to be filed to run in the June 6th election was late last month.

StuckInCA
04-13-2006, 7:57 PM
Doyle is probably a shoe in for another term.

Regarding CCW's in RivCo, Doyle, from what I gathered in MY application process, doesn't see the app's. Its the Cpl. and Other Asst. Deputies in the CCW unit the over see the app process, do the interview's, and make the final call. The signature on my CCW is that of a Chief Deupty Joe (can not make out last name).

Now I'm quite aware of the "rolls down hill" line of thinking, and yes, I would ASSUME that if a PRO CCW Sheriff is at the top of the pecking order, he can deligate his "troops" to be more liberal on granting them. But, from what I was told, it's all about liability.

Who is going to take responsibilty if, and when, you get in a shooting. In a state where you can sue anyone, for anything at anytime, the RSO wants to pull the CYA card, along with the place that you take your CCW class at. What was the grounds for issuance? Is there a uniform "mark", per say, that everyone's just casue statement meets? I as a NRA Instructor, used the fact that I would be transporting firearms, along with ammo, money, and various other forms of learning material to numerous sites when I give my Pistol and Personal Pertection courses. I wanted to make sure I was not a target while traveling to and fro. That wasn't good enough. The fact that I am a Operations Manager for an armored car company did suffice(hell I even needed a letter from my company stating they KNEW about my application, and were ok with it, for liabilty reasons) and when I went thru the CCW class, I learned the same thing.

CYA... Those who took the class "lightly", or wasn't really paying attention, they failed. No money back, nothing. Bye, see ya, better luck next time, and at the tune of $200-something dollars, and a weekend in the hot sun, I wasn't about to fail. The instructor and school wanted to make sure you were not a 'liabilty" to them, once they signed off on your training cert..

Now, granted, I've talked with the author of the original post in this thread, and I believe he SHOULD be granted a CCW based on his reasons. I do believe CA, is behind the 8 ball, and needs to catch up. But, just like the AR/AK lower frenzy, it only is a "top priority" to some, not all, and unfortunatly, the some is out numbered by the rest in the state.

The theroy of "if 3 people get 3 people, and inturn get 3" seems to only work for bad service and hot topics the press on emotions and feelings. Its sad the majority of Californians attitude is "if it doesn't effect me, I don't care". Don't believe me, take a poll of Riverside residents, and ask them who their Sheriff is, and Mayor. The MAJORITY of the people just check a name at the polls. Hell, look at the Board of Supervisors for Riverside, if I remember correctly, the majority of them vote (D).

-Andy

linuxgunner
04-13-2006, 8:01 PM
The liability thing is pure BS. As you said, in this state, you can sue anyone anytime for anything. They can be sued for NOT issuing. What if you are denied a permit and then you get hurt because you couldn't defend yourself? They could be sued.

They can also be sued big-time for racial discrimination if there is some racial bias in their process. The only really non-racist policies are either shall-issue or never-issue.

And I've never heard of a sheriff's dept being sued for the actions of a permit holder. That's just as crazy as suing the DMV for the actions of a licensed driver. There's no case.

Anyone who says "we can't issue you because of liability" is a liar or a BSer or willfully ignorant.

StuckInCA
04-13-2006, 8:29 PM
*Holding post for response*

I'm looking for a phone number. Once I get it, I'll follow up on your response.

-Andy