PDA

View Full Version : To list or not to list

CalGunsNoob
04-13-2006, 10:22 AM
Let me share my understanding:

If the DOJ lists that qualifies the listed receivers/rifles as assault weapons. The thinking here is that the DOJs ability to then have these newly listed weapons constitute a 4th class of assault weapons (assault weapons still subject to 12276.1 neutering) won't stand a legal challenge. So in essence by listing we eventually end up with assault weapons per the 2000 registered definition (i.e characteristics allowed).

Is this the line of thinking? Makes sense to me.

So the reason people want the DOJ to list is for the above series of events to take place. Yes?

So if the DOJ doesn't list then:

1.) No chance at un-neutering.

and

2.) Legislative action as a fix

What sort of legislative action might take place...anyone care to offer some informed speculation?

Thanks

grammaton76
04-13-2006, 11:56 AM
Ok, I've gotten a draft of the 2006 Assault Weapon Ban leaked directly from the legislature itself.

It says, and I quote, "anything that makes a bullet go 'boom', is an assault weapon and must be registered, filled with concrete, and then dropped off the end of a pier. And if it hits any surfers on the way down, you've committed a crime."

...of course, the problem is that by this definition, hammers are also assault weapons. They're working on banning those too.

ohsmily
04-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Let me share my understanding:

If the DOJ lists that qualifies the listed receivers/rifles as assault weapons. The thinking here is that the DOJs ability to then have these newly listed weapons constitute a 4th class of assault weapons (assault weapons still subject to 12276.1 neutering) won't stand a legal challenge. So in essence by listing we eventually end up with assault weapons per the 2000 registered definition (i.e characteristics allowed).

Is this the line of thinking? Makes sense to me.

So the reason people want the DOJ to list is for the above series of events to take place. Yes?

So if the DOJ doesn't list then:

1.) No chance at un-neutering.

and

2.) Legislative action as a fix

What sort of legislative action might take place...anyone care to offer some informed speculation?

Thanks

You have it right.

New legislation could really be anything that passes and is signed by the governor and will survive a constitutional challenge (most gun laws do). But, the general thinking is that upcoming legislation MIGHT ban all centerfire semiauto detachable magazine rifles (including M1A's, mini-14's, kel tec su-16's, etc). Or, new legislation might directly address the off-list AW situation with very specific language and leave other guns alone by mandating that no new ones can come in and the existing ones can only be configured as neutered ones. It is not known and we can only speculate. I personally hope they update the list.

shopkeep
04-13-2006, 2:16 PM
What's going to happen is months from now they will list. Offlist rifle owners will say, "Wow... we never thought they'd do that!". The DOJ will say, "HAHAHAH we sure pulled one over on those militia nuts, we got them listed in less than 12 months!"

Why is this still even being debated? The DOJ has told us they consider these recievers to be "Assault Weapons" and informed us they intend to add them to the list:

1. At Gun Shows special agents have informed FFLs that these are going on the list
2. At FFL inspections special agents have informed FFLs that these are going on the list
3. Through certified mail the DOJ again informed us that they are adding these to the list
4. Over the telephone they have explained these are going on the list
5. There is a big memo on their website and guess what? It says they're going on the list!

Why are there some people who continue to believe the DOJ will act the way they have said they will. They are currently adding these to the list and no matter what we do now they are going on the list. Period.

xenophobe
04-13-2006, 3:22 PM
Why don't they believe? Some people just can't get past their personal little paranoid conspiracy theories.

jdberger
04-13-2006, 4:09 PM
http://www.moviepostershop.com/item_img/1-26138.jpg

kenc9
04-13-2006, 4:15 PM
Ok ok, I for one didn't believe they would LIST, but now!!! I think they will list within 30 days from the 50 Cal Reg. period. I had not seen what I found today for the first time!

Instead of trying to look like """mike""" or something we should all do our best to put the word out what and when and how to get all the AR/AK's in the state as we can.

Instead of endless debate of IF or when, or anything else we should be one voice telling how and stop thinking of what we should do. Don't make another """MIKE""" that doesn't help anyone. Makes us look ike a bunch of pathetic loosers!

Where to get, how to get, I for one am getting a AK47 off list so I can have a nice AR/ and AK for my pleasure.

We don't need to mail anything, write letters or anything else. All we need to do is get more guns untill the shutoff date!

Sorry it took so long for me to get it! :)

-ken

shopkeep
04-13-2006, 7:53 PM
Why don't they believe? Some people just can't get past their personal little paranoid conspiracy theories.

It's amazing isn't it? Some folks will believe the DOJ and Feds are out to get them with no proof whatsoever. Yet when faced with overwhelming proof that the DOJ considers these to be "Assault Weapons" and intends to list them they ignore the obvious facts.

markymark
04-13-2006, 8:14 PM
http://www.moviepostershop.com/item_img/1-26138.jpg
damn that picture cracked me up! :D