PDA

View Full Version : FALs

wangankin
04-13-2006, 9:30 AM
What are some options for FALs in california? Are there any cheaper alternatives than Entreprise Arms? Is it cheaper to assemble your own? If you know any other companies selling them, could you please post a link for me?

Thanks,

Jonathan

jdberger
04-13-2006, 9:33 AM
There are lots of threads on this. The SEARCH function is your friend. ;)

leelaw
04-13-2006, 10:26 AM
(All prices are estimated.. My memory could be off)

Imbel series III receiver: $120

STG-58 parts kit in excellent condition from DSA: $300

Compliance parts (buttstock, hammer, trigger, sear, gas piston, charging handle, magazine): $170

Rear sight w/ windage adjustment, stripper clip guide dust cover: $100

Sending it to Century Gun Works for assembly, refinishing, inlaid lettering, serial number matching and installation of dust cover and fixed magazine: $325

http://www.apt401.com/fal1.jpg

C.G.
04-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Please post in the proper forum, which would be "Rifleman's"
This is the last thread with the same topic:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=31105&highlight=building+fal
If you need more info, type in "building a FAL" in the search field.

C.G.
04-13-2006, 10:30 AM

Compliance parts (buttstock, hammer, trigger, sear, gas piston, charging handle, magazine): $170

Sending it to Century Gun Works for assembly, refinishing, inlaid lettering, serial number matching and installation of dust cover and fixed magazine: $325

That must have been a while back. In today's world add another $300 minimum.

SC_00_05
04-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Yeah I agree. The Imbel receiver is now easily $350 and second only to the DSA.

leelaw
04-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Yeah I agree. The Imbel receiver is now easily $350 and second only to the DSA.

It was a year ago, January. I bought the receiver from Irvington Arms (Thanks BigMac!)

Bah, and I've already got IMs asking if I'll sell, NO! It's MINE! :D

mrhappym1a
04-13-2006, 12:11 PM
The Imbel receiver alone goes for about $400.00+ now.

Rumpled
04-13-2006, 12:26 PM
I've spent the last two years collecting parts for my build. I just need to send it all to Rich now and get er done.
My total should run about $950. Imbel receiver and kit. Same thing now would be ~$300 more.

I think an option might be to find a free world FAL for sale (often ~$600?+ depending)
and have them ship it to Rich. Have Rich do a Cali conversion and then ship it to your FFL.
If Rich and your FFL were cool with this, you might save a few hundred off Entreprise or parts build prices.

SC_00_05
04-13-2006, 12:29 PM
I've spent the last two years collecting parts for my build. I just need to send it all to Rich now and get er done.
My total should run about $950. Imbel receiver and kit. Same thing now would be ~$300 more.

I think an option might be to find a free world FAL for sale (often ~$600?+ depending)
and have them ship it to Rich. Have Rich do a Cali conversion and then ship it to your FFL.
If Rich and your FFL were cool with this, you might save a few hundred off Entreprise or parts build prices.
This is what I did. I just had the private party remove the pistol grip and place it in the box and then send the whole thing to my FFL.

DSA_FAL
04-13-2006, 12:48 PM

Owning a FAL in California.... Priceless!

-hanko
04-13-2006, 4:19 PM
I think an option might be to find a free world FAL for sale (often ~$600?+ depending) and have them ship it to Rich.
Very few left starting under $800-900...check the Marketplace on the FAL files. At any price, they don't last very long.

-hanko

zenthemighty
04-13-2006, 7:06 PM
Rich won't act as a transferring agent. It has to come from you for you to work on it. Unless he changed his policy in the past year.

Justang
04-13-2006, 10:33 PM
http://www.entreprise.com/

C.G.
04-14-2006, 1:13 AM
http://www.entreprise.com/

Yeah, they are about half way on the ladder.

-hanko
04-14-2006, 11:15 AM
[/URL] Are there any cheaper alternatives than Entreprise Arms?
Thanks,

Jonathan
Don't know about 'cheaper', but there are definitely better alternatives than Enterprise. Read a little at [url]http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=11"] (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=11)

-hanko

Blue
04-14-2006, 2:40 PM
I just finished building mine. Well sorta. I'm still waiting on a hammer/trigger/sear set from DSA. Here's my price breakdown:
Imbel receiver- $325 out the door
Parts kit- $200 delivered
US Gas piston
US handguards
US buttstock
US pistolgrip
Tapco stripper clip top cover
Buttstock tool
$85 delivered
Setscrew for mag catch-$.49 cents plus tax
DSA US hammer/trigger/sear and US 10rd mag $95? delivered (yet to see...the parts...)

I built it with borrowed tools (thanks! you know who you are...) and Duracoated it with left over "parker" from my 1919 project. I'll get some pics up once I get the rest of my parts, but it looks sweet! So for the neighborhood of $700 I think I did alright. All thats left is to headspace it once DSA gets me the rest of my stuff.

Justang
04-14-2006, 3:32 PM
Yeah, they are about half way on the ladder.

Why is that?

C.G.
04-14-2006, 3:53 PM
Why is that?

The quality of their receivers varies from very good to bad and same goes for their builds, some people had no problems at all, others have horror stories. Basically you are buying a cat in a bag.

-hanko
04-14-2006, 9:50 PM
Why is that?
Receiver dimensions are sometimes not exactly (or close to:D ) what FN intended when they designed the gun. I'd call it crappy manufacturing, others call it poor quality control.

-hanko

Justang
04-14-2006, 10:18 PM
Would you guys trust them to do the PTR91 welding and headspacing?