PDA

View Full Version : Compound Bow Suggestions?

GunNutz
07-09-2010, 4:21 PM
I am considering getting a bow. I shot them well as a child, but I have not shot one in close to 20 years. As such, I have no idea anymore what features I should really care about as they relate to cost. Any of you have suggestions? I want something that I would be able to kill a pig/deer with. Cost is less important than features, since I don't think I would end up with a whole collection of them (famous last words.)

Also, anyone have any bay area (east bay preferred) suggestions for some training, to help me get back into the swing of things?

GVOllie
07-09-2010, 6:58 PM
The biggest thing about getting a bow is getting properly fitted. A 28" draw just doesn't feel the same from bow to bow, and for some reason, a 60# pull on one bow feels like 70# on another. As to which bow is best, you will primarily be given everyone's current favorite model. Me, I'm partial to PSE mainly because of price. I also like Martins. If money really is not the issue, go to your local store and try as many different models as you can to see which feels best, and get properly fitted and get the bow set up.

Otherwise, if you know your draw length and what weight you want, you can buy from the internet, but I would still recommend getting properly set up by a competent shop.

lewdogg21
07-09-2010, 7:10 PM
go to a bow shop, get fitted and shoot every bow they have. That's what I did.

mif_slim
07-09-2010, 8:27 PM
Compond bows feels diffrent because it's all about the design of the cam, if it's aggressive, it will feel harder then a rounder cam but at the same time you get more speed with a aggresive cam.

Alot of bow now a days are fast if that's what you want my Fred bear is shooting 286fps andy madness is shooting 297. There's some with proper setup shooting pass 310fps!! Either way get fitted with what you like and shoot with it. It'll be fun!

Shoot-it
07-10-2010, 11:27 AM
If you can afford a bow tech that is the one to get .They are very quiet and shoot great. When you do try a few out just make sure to have the bow turned down.The muscles used is a back shoulder muscle and if you hurt it it will burn like a motha F*****. :eek:

I bought a used browning mirage of ebay last year it's good enough for me I am not a big bow hunter.

Go to a bow shop get measured for length of pull then get on ebay and look for a good deal. Shops don't like it but times are tough everyone want's a good deal.
check out this site archerytalk good info http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/index.php

Fireguy
07-10-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm not a bow guy but my bow hunting friends talk about The Bow Rack in Martinez. Bob the owner has donated many bows to NWTF events. I've met him , he has hunted all over the world.
East regional Parks has 2 archery ranges.

wjc
07-10-2010, 4:01 PM
I'm on the West bay and shoot a recurve, but...

I've heard good things about the Bow Rack in Martinez. There's also a place in Newark called Archery Only that has an indoor range

Archery Only
37300 Cedar Boulevard
Newark, CA 94560
(510) 795-0460

http://www.archeryonly.net/

jmzhwells
07-10-2010, 5:35 PM
Get a hoyt!!, they are sweet. You should be able to get a nice bow for a good price. I would suggest going to a bow shop and looking for one of the bows that doesnt cost an arm and a leg. I would buy somewhere in the middle and save some money, then move up to a hoyt, mathews, or bowtech. All of these companies make an offshoot brand that they sell everywhere, and are good bows.

DirtyDave
07-10-2010, 8:11 PM
I have only shot my Bear Longbow up until today. I just bought my first compound bow today. Bought an Indian deer hunter compound, it is an older bow but it shoots great so far. I just started looking on craigslist for used bows and came up with a whole bunch of options.
I have been shooting it all day and have the 10 and 20yd pins dialed in. 20yds is as far as I can go in my backyard haha
I can feel myself getting the bug, until now I have only done Bowfishing and all my hunting is with guns. Now I'm looking into archery deer hahaha.

JOEKILLA
07-10-2010, 8:13 PM
...........I can feel myself getting the bug, until now I have only done Bowfishing and all my hunting is with guns. Now I'm looking into archery deer hahaha.

That damn bug bites good :43:

Check out www.archerytalk.com if you haven't already. Once you get an idea on which bow you like, you can find good deals there.

center_x
07-10-2010, 8:21 PM
Any mid-top of the line bows will be fine. I have a mathews and love it. If you plan on hunting out of state, make sure the bow you buy has the legal "let off" to hunt in that state.

Good luck shopping.

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-11-2010, 6:45 PM
go to a bow shop, get fitted and shoot every bow they have. That's what I did.

This.

every bow feels different to everyone. Shoot as many as you can, and go with what feels best to you. Once you find something you like, look on e-bay or maybe the classifieds on ArcheryTalk or something, you'll find a good deal on something used, possibly with all the goodies attached.

dodgerfan175
07-12-2010, 8:37 AM
I'm also new to bow hunting but I recently bought a Hoyt seems to be hitting the bullseye so far. I shot all the bows at the shop to be honest they all felt the same to me.

aaronraby1
07-12-2010, 9:59 AM
Compond bows feels diffrent because it's all about the design of the cam, if it's aggressive, it will feel harder then a rounder cam but at the same time you get more speed with a aggresive cam.

i dont knowwww about that one...

the new bowtech destroyer 350 has a pretty agressive looking cam and shoots up to 350 fps. i was surprised that it was one of the most smoothest drawing, arrow shooting bow i have ever held because my target bow was a bowtech constitution and that was a bit rough on the draw and let off.

aaronraby1
07-12-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm also new to bow hunting but I recently bought a Hoyt seems to be hitting the bullseye so far. I shot all the bows at the shop to be honest they all felt the same to me.

shoot long enough and you will feel a huge difference!

professionalcoyotehunter
07-12-2010, 10:04 AM
You want speen go with a mamba. You want quality go with a hoyt. You want a hunting bow go with a fred bear.

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-12-2010, 11:34 AM
one of the happiest days in my archery career was the day I upgraded from a Fred Bear to a Bowtech. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have skipped the Bear step, and went straight to a Bowtech. With that said, I have heard that last years Truth 2 is pretty sweet, but haven't shot it.

professionalcoyotehunter
07-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Try the Hoyt Prohawk. I had that one last year and loved it.

mif_slim
07-12-2010, 12:10 PM
i dont knowwww about that one...

the new bowtech destroyer 350 has a pretty agressive looking cam and shoots up to 350 fps. i was surprised that it was one of the most smoothest drawing, arrow shooting bow i have ever held because my target bow was a bowtech constitution and that was a bit rough on the draw and let off.

yes, not always true. I know I didnt put that part in.. haha I was on my iphone.

aaronraby1
07-13-2010, 1:58 PM
i think the main thing here to look at is what is comfortable to you. also, what you can afford. but ill tell you now, dont skip out on the arrows. get yourself a bow that you will like and one that will always outshoot you so you will always be improving your skills. also, get the right arrows. length, and spine are important for what you will be doing. get a comfortable set poundage and get the correct arrows from there. without the proper arrow to draw weight/length, your accuracy will not be great. you dont need a super fast bow to be good with it. learn proper form and stance off the bat too, you dont want to learn bad habits.

just my input. =)

tankarian
07-13-2010, 3:59 PM
If money isn't an issue get a Hoyt Carbon Matrix (http://www.hoyt.com/compound_bows/hoyt_carbon_matrix_compound_bow.php).

If money IS an issue, get a Martin (http://www.martinarchery.com/2010web/index.php). They make bows with the best price/feature ratio. In other words best bang for the buck.

You should also consider Elite Archery (http://www.elitearchery.com/). Probably the finest crafted bows around, a bit pricey but very sweet and easy to shoot. And they come with a lifetime transferable warranty.