PDA

View Full Version : "Baiting"

moulton
04-12-2006, 10:04 PM
I have read that baiting for game in CA is illegal... anyone go the law? Would it be considered baiting if I were to hang a bucket of (for boar hunting) Corn, water, cheap beer and let it sour up for a week.

bu-bye
04-12-2006, 10:56 PM
I have read that baiting for game in CA is illegal... anyone go the law? Would it be considered baiting if I were to hang a bucket of (for boar hunting) Corn, water, cheap beer and let it sour up for a week.

The way I heard to do it is just as you said. Make some feeders (not a hanging bucket;) ) and leave them out for a week or so. Then the day before your hunt remove the feeder. They will keep coming back the next day and thats when you bag a few.

I'll find you a link on how to make a feeder for pigs

bu-bye
04-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Can't find any links but I explain it the best I can.

Get a large PVC pipe with end caps. Something 4 to 5 inches in dia and 3-4 feet long. You can also use the big flex piping like the kind use for draining water down hillsides. Drill small holes up and down the pipe. You want the holes large enough for the feed to come out but not to big that the feed spills out. The goal is to have the pigs push the pipe around to get the feed out. They need to work to get it out of the small holes. Be sure to space out the holes enough so that only a small amount of feed comes out when pushed. If you just leave a bucket they will knock it over and eat it all in a minute. You want them to stick around for as long as you can. Come back in a couple days and fill the pipe up again by taking one of the end caps off.

I keep looking for a link for ya.

socalguns
04-13-2006, 12:51 AM
I did a search for baiting on http://www.dfg.ca.gov/ ,
the california department of fish and game website,
and found a few mentions of people being cited for baiting bears.
The lack of information sucketh

glen avon
04-13-2006, 6:29 AM
you can bait but you can't hunt withib x distance of it, or at the same spot less than x days after removing the bait.

they make it so it's not viable.

(e) Bait: No feed, bait or other materials capable of attracting a bear shall be placed or used for the purpose of taking or pursuing a bear. No bear shall be taken over such bait. No person may take a bear within a 400-yard radius of a garbage dump or bait.

Nahuatl
04-13-2006, 6:32 AM
Check out section 257.5 - Hunting within 400 yards of bait or salt or even a dumpster will get you cited. You can't start hounds within 400 yards of a dumpster even without firearms. A baited area remains a baited area for 10 days after the bait's removal. DFG lives for this stuff.

sohijiro
04-14-2006, 4:29 PM
does baiting only apply to bears?

cuz if i owned land i would bait for pigs, and maybe plant greens that would attract deer/ whatever

Rumpled
04-14-2006, 4:52 PM
I believe baiting applies to all game animals.
I remember a few years ago, dove hunters were directed in the press to an area where grain spilled out of trains, and then cited while hunting there.

Best bet, go to DFG site and search for baiting yourself.

Or, here you go - baiting is illegal.
But growing crops for wildlife managemnet is OK. I'd check with DFG on how to do it if this is what you intend.

257.5. Prohibition Against Taking Resident Game Birds and Mammals by the Aid of Bait.

Except as otherwise provided in these regulations or in the Fish and Game Code, resident game birds and mammals may not be taken within 400 yards of any baited area.

(a) Definition of Baited Area. As used in this regulation, "baited area" shall mean any area where shelled, shucked or unshucked corn, wheat or other grains, salt, or other feed whatsoever capable of luring, attracting, or enticing such birds or mammals is directly or indirectly placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered, and such area shall remain a baited area for ten days following complete removal of all such corn, wheat or other grains, salt, or other feed.

(b) Exceptions:

(1) The taking of domestically reared and released game birds on licensed pheasant clubs and other licensed game bird clubs;

(2) The taking of resident game birds and mammals on or over standing crops, flooded standing crops (including aquatics), flooded harvested croplands, grain crops properly shocked on the field where grown, or grains found scattered solely as the result of normal agricultural planting or harvesting;

(3) The taking of resident game birds and mammals on or over any lands where shelled, shucked or unshucked corn, wheat or other grain, salt, or other feed have been distributed or scattered as the result of bona fide agricultural operations or procedures, or as a result of manipulation of a crop or other feed on the land where grown for wildlife management purposes: provided that manipulation for wildlife management purposes does not include the distributing or scattering of grain or other feed once it has been removed from or stored on the field where grown.