PDA

View Full Version : Bay Area or Nor Cal butcher with experience with bear meat?

alcmaeon
07-08-2010, 6:03 AM
Hey Folks

I'm off to Washington the first week of August for bear. With any luck I will need a butcher. I don't know how much it might matter that a butcher has worked on a bear before.
But, anyone have a butcher that you can recommend that you have taken bear to? I donít know if Los Gatos Meats will take a bear. They have not responded to my email. Iím in the Bay Area but will be coming down Highway 5, so somebody on that pipeline would be good too.

Also, anyone have a taxidermist who makes a great bear rug?

Thanks folks!

Rich

tacster
07-08-2010, 6:56 AM
willowside meats in santa rosa would know there way around a bear. ive seen a few move through there.its in santa rosa.
bear is one of the quickest meats to spoil.ive seen it spoil over night in a cool garage. so be carefull, that goes for the skin also keep it cold cold cold.

Bobula
07-08-2010, 7:05 AM
you may have to get it butchered in WA. I though bringing animal carcasses across state lines was a no no.

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-08-2010, 7:23 AM
Hey Folks

Los Gatos Meats . They have not responded to my email.

e-mail a butcher shop? just call and ask during business hrs.

Eargasm
07-08-2010, 8:30 AM
Try Save-More Meat Market in Pacifica.

duckman1
07-09-2010, 7:20 AM
I don't think you would have a problem bringing a bear carcass accross state lines as long as it was properly tagged. I would be worried about the meat quality. I would have it butchered in WA and drive/fly it home.

Bearclaw
07-09-2010, 12:24 PM
I don't think you would have a problem bringing a bear carcass accross state lines as long as it was properly tagged. I would be worried about the meat quality. I would have it butchered in WA and drive/fly it home.

^+1...me too!

bigboarstopper
07-10-2010, 8:45 AM
Unless its a small bear the only good cuts of meat are the backstraps/tenderloins. Everything else is burger. Buy a grinder.

alcmaeon
07-11-2010, 5:41 AM
Thanks guys. I was going to use a butcher in WA if I take one early. Time constrants at the end would mean I need to roll home without time to wait for a processor. I sent some emails out, just didn't get much response.

tacster
07-11-2010, 7:31 AM
Thanks guys. I was going to use a butcher in WA if I take one early. Time constrants at the end would mean I need to roll home without time to wait for a processor. I sent some emails out, just didn't get much response.

call em! not i would imagine not many of them are in the real world using computers.

duckman1
07-11-2010, 3:45 PM
Most game butchers would ship it to you.