PDA

View Full Version : Cali legal AR15 - would you take it hunting on BLM land?

Benellishooter
04-12-2006, 12:58 PM
I have a Cali legal Stag AR15 (10 round magazine bolted into receiver). I am going coyote hunting on BLM land tomorrow.

Due to the possibility of running into a ranger or law enforcement officer unaware of the new "off list" lower situation, would you feel comfortable taking this gun out where it could be misunderstood as an illegal so-called assault weapon?

I have a binder with the DOJ letters and copies of the relevent laws that I could brind with me. For what it is worth, BLM land does not prohibit registered assault weapons any longer.

Is it worth the risk? I could just bring my Mini-14 or Garand. But, I don't want to.

-hanko
04-12-2006, 1:07 PM
I have a Cali legal Stag AR15 (10 round magazine bolted into receiver). I am going coyote hunting on BLM land tomorrow.

Due to the possibility of running into a ranger or law enforcement officer unaware of the new "off list" lower situation, would you feel comfortable taking this gun out where it could be misunderstood as an illegal so-called assault weapon?

I have a binder with the DOJ letters and copies of the relevent laws that I could brind with me. For what it is worth, BLM land does not prohibit registered assault weapons any longer.

Is it worth the risk? I could just bring my Mini-14 or Garand. But, I don't want to.
Why have a binder full of paperwork if you're not taking the gun out?? If it's legal, go shoot it;)

-hanko

kenc9
04-12-2006, 1:15 PM
As for me, I will print out my binder and have it in the truck to answer whatever questions someone might have while driving, and returning home.

I will have the DOJ Feb. memo in my pocket while out shooting.
But you should have no problems what so ever.

But I think that DOJ letter is important for those not informed.
They could confirm that letter on a radio in a few minutes.

-ken

bwiese
04-12-2006, 1:22 PM
There likely will be little question as registered AWs are legal on BLM land so they are 'expected to be seen'.

Keep that mag secured, maybe print out the FAQ and 12276.1 and the Kasler list of banned guns just in case.

Guinness
04-12-2006, 1:23 PM
Due to the possibility of running into a ranger

Be careful.. These guys can be a little different...

wuhungsix
04-12-2006, 7:03 PM
My buddy has a couple register ARs that he fequently takes to the range(Cordova Shooting Center) and the National Forest (icehouse) off of hwy 50. We never bring papers and have never been questioned. Full 30rd mags and everything. He hasnt been out with his black rifles since the whole lower thing started. I think I will advise him to bring papers next time just in case. Rangers never really cared as long as we were shooting safely.

artherd
04-12-2006, 9:56 PM
I have a binder with the DOJ letters and copies of the relevent laws that I could brind with me.
That is more than enough. WORST CASE IMO: Be prepared to spend 30min with an officer calmly and carefully educating him on the law, he may call it in, and all will be fine.

babydoll
04-15-2006, 9:34 PM
There likely will be little question as registered AWs are legal on BLM land so they are 'expected to be seen'.

Keep that mag secured, maybe print out the FAQ and 12276.1 and the Kasler list of banned guns just in case.
When did that change?

C.G.
04-16-2006, 1:59 AM
When did that change?

Can you be just a tad more specific? What does "that" mean?

bonjing
04-16-2006, 8:42 AM
just be carefull. the officer still may confiscate the firearm in question just to cover his butt. but you should be able to get it back.