PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint m4s - parallax free?

ylwman
07-07-2010, 8:19 PM
I just sold my aimpoint m4s. The buyer emailed me and said that the aimpoint was having parallax issues. The red dot was not still as he was moving his head. The aimpoint claims to be parallax free. The buyer made a pretty good video and it does show the red dot moving as he was shifting the camera behind it.

I did my own research and found info contradicting any claim of parallax free.

I tested my aimpoint ml3 and my buddies t-1 and both were not parallax free.

The buyer has posted in snipershide for their expertise. I wanted to try here and see if there was anything we missed.

This is the video link on youtube that the buyer posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RbxeA0C_E4

Also, if there are any aimpoint users reading this, can u test out ur aimpoints and let me know what
you see.

Thanks

Omega13device
07-07-2010, 11:08 PM
It looks to me like about a 1/2" of movement in the POA. Is he really worried about being off by 1/2" at 50, 100 or 200 yards? This is a combat optic, not a precision rifle scope.

Teletiger7
07-08-2010, 9:14 PM
"The red dot was not still as he was moving his head"

Parallax free has nothing to do with the dot staying in the center and not moving around. It should appear to move as you change you head position but the point of impact stays the same(ON THE DOT) if your properly zeroed it.

it will move around depending on the shooter view but the point of impact should still be pretty much the same. Just zero to the red dot. Thats the beauty of the red dot the dot does not have to be in the center of the glass it can be on the edge of it and if you zeroed to the dot then it will still have POI at the dot.

Your buyer must be newbie to red dots

Tell him to watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIKH5GLpL5g&feature=player_embedded#!

1SGMAT
07-08-2010, 10:51 PM
"The red dot was not still as he was moving his head"

Parallax free has nothing to do with the dot staying in the center and not moving around. It should appear to move as you change you head position but the point of impact stays the same(ON THE DOT) if your properly zeroed it.

it will move around depending on the shooter view but the point of impact should still be pretty much the same. Just zero to the red dot. Thats the beauty of the red dot the dot does not have to be in the center of the glass it can be on the edge of it and if you zeroed to the dot then it will still have POI at the dot.

Your buyer must be newbie to red dots

Tell him to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIKH5GLpL5g&feature=player_embedded#!

All the above is good info and the only thing I can add is that the optic is only paralax free after 50 meters. That means that he needs to center the dot on whatever spot on the target he wants to hit, after 50 meters the dot can be at any position inside the tube and the shot will still go wherever the red dot in placed on the target.

mif_slim
07-08-2010, 10:55 PM
+1 on previous replies.

Omega13device
07-09-2010, 4:24 PM
Actually I think guy in the video does understand that it's normal that the dot moves as you move your eye but the point of aim stays the same. But if you watch carefully you can see that the POA on the dresser actually moves around as well.

I tried this with my M3 (and yes I know what I'm doing) and sure enough if I aim it at something super close, the POA will actually move a little as I get the dot out to the edge of the optic window.