PDA

View Full Version : The Biggest CCW Fights in the Nation this Year!

Paladin
04-12-2006, 9:44 AM
The Biggest CCW Fights in the Nation this Year are in California!

That's right: If we in CA win just two local elections this year, replacing the sheriffs in LA county (pop 10 mil) ( www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=71 and read "The Los Angeles County CCW Permit Challenge") and Orange county (pop 3 mil) ( www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=71 and read "The OC Sheriff's Race" and "The Orange County CCW Permit Challenge") with pro-CCW people, that will liberate 13 million Californians from discriminatory CCW issuance -- over 1/3rd the state!

If those 13 million Americans were their own state, they would be 5th in population behind CA (after loosing the 13 mil) and TX, both tied at 20 mil; NY w/19 mil; and FL w/16 mil. By itself, LAC would be tied w/MI as the 8th most populous state, and OC would be tied w/IO as the 30th.

Remember, with Sacramento, you've got to get pro-CCW people to run for office, win their primary, get elected, draft legislation, move it thru subcommittees, committees, etc., build a coalition to vote for it and pass it in one chamber and then do the same thing in the other chamber and then resolve the two! Next you need to get the governor to sign it. Then get ready for court challenges! With counties, all you have to do is get a pro-CCW sheriff and all those residents are "good to go" (apply) -- just one person to elect, no change of law needed. Plus doing this will get a lot more people interested in changing our state's law to Shall Issue and will get a lot of people in neighboring counties to say to their Chiefs/Sheriffs: "Hey, if people in OC/LAC can get permits, why can't we?!!!" Think "domino theory."

Register to vote, send contributions, volunteer, and then, most importantly, make sure you vote, either via mail or in person.

You don't even have to live in LAC or OC to help by doing some of those things. Focus on what you can do, not what you can't. If you can't volunteer because you live in another state, you can send some money to the chosen candidates.

Copy and email this out to all your pro-gun friends and family members, post this on every suitable forum. Get the word out!

This is our best chance to make a major change in California gun rights/CCW until 2010. Let's do it!

caduckgunner
04-12-2006, 10:00 AM
I thought Orange County is already pro CCW.

shopkeep
04-12-2006, 10:11 AM

Sheriff Corona is under serious fire right now from the California Communist Party (CCP) aka "Democrats" as they call themselves. He has a serious scandal involving some woman who alleges he made sexual comments (how familiar is that one, they even pulled that on Arnie LOL!). I also believe he didn't get the endorsements of the OC Deputies. He's gonna need all the help he can get.

Paladin
04-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Supposedly, but May Issue Corona has issued only 1,200 permits in a county w/3,000,000 people. Bill Hunt has promised in writing to take OC Shall Issue! See http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=31645&page=3

A sheriff can't get any better than that w/o violating state law! ;)

linuxgunner
04-12-2006, 10:35 AM
Paladin is right, this is the most important gun rights fight in the nation right now. We have two races right here in California which will determine CCW policy for 13 million people. Together, that would be the 5th-largest state in the US. It would be bigger than Illinois. And CCW for these 13mil Californians is controlled by TWO INDIVIDUALS. Not the state assembly, or the state senate, or the governor, or a court system, but TWO SHERIFFS.

One of these individuals is Sheriff Baca who is not doing his job. He needs to be replaced. The front runner to replace him is Ken Masse.

The other is Sheriff Carona, who is not bad, but to really get issuing going in OC we need someone who is shall-issue. That person is Bill Hunt.

Replacing these TWO INDIVIDUALS would be like getting another shall-issue state THE SIZE OF FLORIDA!

sinner
04-12-2006, 11:39 AM
When exactly are elections being held for these positions?

linuxgunner
04-12-2006, 12:00 PM
June 6 Make sure you are registered. Make sure everyone in your family who is of age is registered. Make sure you know where to go to vote. Make sure you do it. Make sure you vote for Ken Masse (in Los Angeles) and Bill Hunt (in Orange County).

If you have any questions about how to register, where to register, where to vote, ask me by sending me a private message or posting here.

Paladin
04-12-2006, 1:12 PM
Linuxgunner and I have been PMing each other re how important this election is and how very few pro-CCW/2ndA people in Kali know about it. Everyone here at CGN has to share that initial posting on this thread to every pro-gun person/club they know via email and post it at every pro-2nd A forum and and pro-gun forum they belong too. We all know the other big forums (The High Road, The Firing Line, Tactical Forums, GlockTalk). Be sure to hit those and every other one you can think of (AR forums) unless someone beats you to it. I've taken care of WarriorTalk and S&W forums.

I've added edits to the original posting showing how much easier it will be to liberate CCW issuance in Kali via these sheriffs elections compared to going the legislative route so that w/one cut & paste, you'll be able to have a really good posting on those other forums.

We can't let this opportunity pass us by. This is our best chance until 2010.

linuxgunner
04-12-2006, 1:27 PM
We can't let this opportunity pass us by. This is our best chance until 2010.

To be even more clear, we have only TWO chances until 2010: Sheriffs' elections, and a lawsuit which is in progress now apparently.

We're not going to win the legislature in California. Sheriffs and lawsuits are the only battle worth fighting in. In some ways the sheriffs' race is ideal for us. It's a way we can get a "stealth victory". To win in the legislature they need to publicly debate and vote for a bill. Sheriff's CCW policy isn't debated and it isn't really published. And sheriffs' campaigns are low-profile. Very few people know what the issues are or care. They go with incumbents and name recognition if they vote at all. So this is a fight that we (a small group) CAN WIN!

NRAhighpowershooter
04-12-2006, 1:40 PM
Alameda county has a sheriff election coming up too.. but there is only one candidate and he's a groomed pet of Sheriff Plumber

linuxgunner
04-12-2006, 2:13 PM
Alameda county has a sheriff election coming up too.. but there is only one candidate and he's a groomed pet of Sheriff Plumber

There are a few liberal Bay Area counties that are out of reach at the moment. SF just voted by a landslide to ban all handguns in the city. That's the "will of the people" and their sheriffs' reflect that. Can't do anything about that, except get victories at a state level.

But OC and LA are different. A lot of people here remember the LA riots and own guns. I know an Angelino who is a solid, 100% Democrat, someone who was so solidly Democrat that he got his US citizenship solely for the purpose of voting for Kerry, who is also a gun owner and RKBA supporter. That's LA. (As a side note that's one reason I get so stirred up when I hear people here name-calling Democrats).

rips31
04-12-2006, 3:04 PM
There are a few liberal Bay Area counties that are out of reach at the moment. SF just voted by a landslide to ban all handguns in the city. That's the "will of the people" and their sheriffs' reflect that. Can't do anything about that, except get victories at a state level.
i wouldn't exactly call 8% a landslide, considering how few ppl actually voted in that election.

regardless, hennessey keeps being the only candidate and so ppl keep voting him in.

linuxgunner
04-12-2006, 3:41 PM
regardless, hennessey keeps being the only candidate and so ppl keep voting him in.

Someone needs to step up to the plate and challenge him. He's been sheriff for 25 years there! Time to step aside and let someone else have a try at it.

He seems like a good guy on everything except his draconian, horrible CCW policy. There are about 10 permits in a county pop of almost a million!

If we get some CCW victories in OC and LA it will create pressure on the rest of California. For example if / when I get my permit, I will be sure to pack every time I visit my friends in SF. Ha ha! I can pack in their home town and they can't! That's so ridiculous and unfair that it will create pressure to change. Maybe not in SF, but in Alameda County and the surrounding areas, and pretty much everyone in SF who wants to can get a residency set up in Marin, Alameda County, etc.

Jarhead4
04-12-2006, 4:13 PM
So if we contribute a large amount of money to his campaign, would we get a CCW just like Sheriff Plumber does?

Paladin
04-13-2006, 6:14 PM
So if we contribute a large amount of money to his campaign, would we get a CCW just like Sheriff Plumber does?

I have high hopes for Ahern -- because he can't be worse than Plummer w/o taking away Perata's permit! :D

Pablo
04-14-2006, 12:17 AM

That's sad...:(

CalNRA
04-14-2006, 3:29 AM
any chance of getting the smug Mark Tracy off the throne in Santa Cruz? sigh we can dream right...

linuxgunner
04-14-2006, 9:12 AM
any chance of getting the smug Mark Tracy off the throne in Santa Cruz? sigh we can dream right...

Yes. Country sheriffs elections are low-profile non-partisan elections. If there is no run-off they are decided in the June election which is a low-turnout election. These are ALL factors in favor of issue-candidates, where a small single-issue group (us) can easily turn an election, even if we are in a small minority.

If there's no one running against him now, then we'll need to find someone to run in 2010.

marklbucla
04-14-2006, 11:48 AM
I'm not against your cause at all, but why are you guys making Carona out to be a bad guy, like Baca is?

Issuing 1200 permits to 3 million people (If that number is correct) isn't all that bad. Remember, this is Kalifornia. How many people in the general population even know about it, much less are interested in getting a permit for themselves? Hell, I'm willing to bet that a greater proportion of Democrats out here own guns than Republicans back in LA/OC.

I've understood that Carona would only block you from getting a permit if you fail the background check or say something stupid at the interview. From what I understand, it's just a matter of getting a letter from the range saying that you're a member and shoot there fairly often. I don't remember reading on this board about anyone who's been denied, either. I got my permit, and yes, it was a hassle, but it was still a reasonable process given that it's Kalifornia.

linuxgunner
04-14-2006, 12:05 PM
I'm not against your cause at all, but why are you guys making Carona out to be a bad guy, like Baca is?

He isn't a bad guy. He's a good guy. But the level of hassle imposed is enough to block a lot of would-be applicants. It would be a great example for the other counties in CA to have a major urban county (with major immigrant populations even) go shall-issue.

marklbucla
04-14-2006, 2:25 PM
Yeah, it's a relative PITA, but was it really a hassle?

Except for Alaska and Vermont, you'll still have to go to the sheriff's office and fill out an application. Some states make you get fingerprinted as well. The only thing that's really prohibitive is the $200 cost of the application but that's just the COLA for Southern California.