PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Area Job Wanted

checkmate
07-07-2010, 5:08 PM
Hey guys, I'm still relatively new here, but thought i would reach out to you guys to see if you can help me find a job.

I was a corpsman in the navy, with experience with the marine corps as a 8404, then hospital work including labor and delivery, multiservice ward, emergency room, and records. the only profesional certification i had that carries over into the civilian world are EMT-B (which i cant do anymore because of my injury), and california certification in phlebotomy.

i also have a lot of experience upgrading gas airsoft pistols.

i was medically seperated about a year ago, and have been unable to find a job. Now i'm back in school, and would like a part time or full time job (my classes are online) to supplement my wife's income.

a few stipulations, i cant really lift more than 40 pounds without pain, and extended periods of standing (maybe an hour or so) will also cause discomfort. if the job involves sit-ups, dont bother offering (lol).

i'm a hard worker, never got below a "must promote" on a navy eval, a fast learner, and will take practically any job that is out there that can accomodate for my injury, problem is, i cant find any.

Anything you guys know of that i can do, literally ANYTHING, please let me know!
thanks!

checkmate
10-23-2010, 12:41 PM
update... i received my California certification for phlebotomy.

times are hard all around, i understand that, but i will take any job i can find. its getting really hard to make the bills and rent just off of my wife's income and my disability check. i hope calgunners out there can help!

Trapper
10-23-2010, 2:13 PM
If you are going to school 3/4 or more you can make an extra $800/mo tax free by doing workstudy with VA. Work is easy and the hours are flexible.

There's a job fair on Friday the 29th from 9-11am, at the South Metro Career Center, 4389 Imperial Avenue San Diego. Employer's scheduled to attend are; Talent Scale, Booz Allen Hamilton, Fleet & Family Service Center, Amtrak, Solar Turbines, US Border Patrol, Southwest Airlines, Home Depot, University of California, UPS, Sempra Energy, and DEA

Trapper
10-23-2010, 2:21 PM
http://www.jobsearch.vacareers.va.gov/Search.aspx?lid=17382&sort=rv%2c-dtex&cn=&rad_units=miles&salmin=10000&salmax=50000&brd=3876&pp=50&jbf574=VA*&vw=d&re=134&FedEmp=Y&FedPub=Y&caller=default.aspx

checkmate
10-23-2010, 7:54 PM
If you are going to school 3/4 or more you can make an extra $800/mo tax free by doing workstudy with VA. Work is easy and the hours are flexible.

There's a job fair on Friday the 29th from 9-11am, at the South Metro Career Center, 4389 Imperial Avenue San Diego. Employer's scheduled to attend are; Talent Scale, Booz Allen Hamilton, Fleet & Family Service Center, Amtrak, Solar Turbines, US Border Patrol, Southwest Airlines, Home Depot, University of California, UPS, Sempra Energy, and DEA

Wowza, that's a good looking list! I'll be there, thanks so much!! Do you know if I need to RSVP or anything?

WDE91
10-24-2010, 7:55 AM
best of luck Marine
hope everything works out

Trapper
10-24-2010, 2:24 PM
Wowza, that's a good looking list! I'll be there, thanks so much!! Do you know if I need to RSVP or anything?

No need to RSVP but they start running out of coffee and doughnuts around 9:45.
Have you looked into converting your MGIB to post 9/11? In San Diego the BAH for students recieving Chapter 33 benifits recieve $2,018 each month.

checkmate
10-24-2010, 8:29 PM
I'm already taking advantage of the post 9/11 gi bill, the problem is, im taking online courses, so I dont get BAH. i'll be at the fair though, wish me luck!

todd2968
10-24-2010, 8:51 PM
Well stop taking online courses and get your but to a School.

checkmate
10-25-2010, 3:40 PM
Well stop taking online courses and get your but to a School.

lol roger that, as soon as this semester ends.

checkmate
10-30-2010, 8:16 PM
bumping this, im getting desperate!!

todd2968
10-30-2010, 10:59 PM
There is a veteran job fair on the 4th I forget where Nov.
I spoke with a prior service Cop the other day he is getting 2300 a month for BAH for University of Phoenix and shows up on Monday nights only

ankyle62
11-01-2010, 10:57 AM
There is a veteran job fair on the 4th I forget where Nov.
I spoke with a prior service Cop the other day he is getting 2300 a month for BAH for University of Phoenix and shows up on Monday nights only
Yep I was going to do that, but I wanted to get a degree from a school with a better name, especially since Im unemployed and have time to attend.

checkmate
11-02-2010, 8:39 AM
has anyone seen a place with a "help wanted" sign in san diego? let me know please!

i'll do more research on the vet job fair, thanks todd. ur really giving me a lot of info! i appreciate it!

checkmate
11-14-2010, 3:48 PM
bump again... had three interviews, no call-backs yet... anyone see a help wanted sign in sd, let me know!

TKM
11-14-2010, 3:59 PM
Saw a help wanted sign at Taylor Guitars in El Cajon last week.

Might be a cool gig if you are musically inclined.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/employment/

I know that I'm not qualified, good luck.

checkmate
11-29-2010, 9:49 AM
hundreds of applications and a few interviews later, still looking for a job! if anyone spots a help wanted sign in san diego, let me know!

mikepiet
11-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Where are you looking?

I like to use Sandiego.craigslist.org. Monster is also good. There are a ton of San Diego jobs at usajobs.gov.

Good luck!

MP

SenorJefe
11-29-2010, 10:41 AM
dunno much about it, but maybe http://hirepatriots.com/

Hunt
11-29-2010, 7:48 PM
hundreds of applications and a few interviews later, still looking for a job! if anyone spots a help wanted sign in san diego, let me know!

San Diego City College has one of the few Community College "Honors Programs" in the U.S. that has matriculation agreements with Ivy League Universities and other pedigree schools. You might want to knuckle under for a few years and go to Harvard Law or Business.

checkmate
11-30-2010, 7:17 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys... i've been glued to san diego craigslist... all the interviews i got were via craigslist, and not monster or jobing, caught me by surprise!

Tom Slick
11-30-2010, 7:55 PM
check out indeed.com
you set up search criteria and it searches several job sites and emails the results to you daily. It works really well for finding job listings.

Good luck! I've been trying to find a different job for a year. 40+ applications later I might have a second interview.

checkmate
12-16-2010, 2:59 PM
starting school again at a real campus, gonna be making some BAH... still looking for part time work though!

frankm
12-21-2010, 8:55 PM
One of the clerks at Turners in Kearny Mesa said they were understaffed, doesn't mean they're hiring but you never know.

checkmate
12-22-2010, 7:00 AM
Awesome, thanks frankm! I'll head over there after the holidays and see if they are hiring. It would be awesome to just sell guns all day....

1-M-42
12-24-2010, 9:02 PM
Check out Call of Duty Endowment at www.callofdutyendowment.org They list regional programs for Vets, it's a National Org., they have really good rep

Good luck, hope something works out

Doheny
12-24-2010, 9:17 PM
Good luck in your job search...and thanks for your service!