PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try the new Nikon M-223 Scopes?

BlackViper
07-07-2010, 1:25 PM
Title pretty much says it all.
Looking for first-hand feedback - I've read a few reviews already.

Stringer
07-07-2010, 3:47 PM
Where'd you find reviews? I'm interested :)

yasushi
07-10-2010, 8:13 AM
No one's got one of these yet?? Sounds like a good scope for the price.

triaged
07-11-2010, 2:06 AM
I have the 2-8x32 BDC version. I'll try to get some pics up sometime but don't hold your breath for them or a range report. The glass is bright and crisp. From what I understand it is just a Monarch with turrets and a different reticle. It comes with flip up covers and a coupon for a honeycomb style ARD. I got it as a package deal with a Primary Arms Deluxe mount which is very nice especially for the price ($358 shipped IIRC).
http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc;jsessionid=41170E4DED43D5CAE939833FE5D8 5536.qscstrfrnt02?productId=594&categoryId=157

At low power the eye relief is forgiving and I can see just a hint of my fixed front sight. The diopter adjusts quickly with very little turning needed. I think it is odd that if you don't get the BDC reticle it has yard markings on the elevation turret. I didn't like that (don't know why...it just didn't seem right) so I got $10 more expensive BDC version. In the 1-4x you don't get that option and have to get the yard marked turret. I had already ruled it out because of the 4MOA 3MOA black dot in the center of the reticle. The power ring is hard to turn but that is to be expected when new. There is a screw on it. I wonder if you could pull the screw out and put a stud there without un-sealing it?

I don't think the .25MOA clicks are needed or even a good thing on a low power scope. I think the 2-8x should came with .5MOA clicks. Because of the fine clicks and the way the turrets reset (pull up, turn to 0, push down) there is a bit of slop in them. The slop is enough that it can end up between marks. Even in the middle of the slop one of the turrets doesn't line up and I might send it back because of that. Nikon has a lifetime guarantee so it shouldn't be a problem. I need to get another opinion on if I'm being too picky or not.

My only other little gripe is that the lens covers could be a bit tighter on the scope.

All together I would recommend it because the price is right and the glass is good.

Stringer
07-11-2010, 6:02 AM
Very good review. Thanks very much, Triaged. Your description of the turrets is especially helpful.

Hey BlackViper, where are the links to the reviews you mentioned?

triaged
07-11-2010, 8:19 AM
To be fair to Nikon they put .5MOA turrets on the 1-4 (of course even that sounds too fine when there is a 4MOA 3MOA dot in the middle). I guess they just thought that 2-8x was high enough power to warrant the fine clicks. There is also a 3-12x and it has .25MOA clicks too.

Monticore
07-12-2010, 9:21 AM
In the 1-4x you don't get that option and have to get the yard marked turret. I had already ruled it out because of the 4MOA 3MOA black dot in the center of the reticle.

Hi Triaged,

I am new to scopes and like the OP was curious about the M-223. Specifically the version you ruled out. The 1-4 with the Point Blank Reticle. Being 3MOA, did you get a sense that he 3MOA dot stayed the same relative size at every zoom level. It's 3MOA at 1x, but how big does it appear to be at 4x zoom? I'm sorry if this sounds like the ultimate rookie question.

Thanks for any info you may have.

BlackViper
07-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Very good review. Thanks very much, Triaged. Your description of the turrets is especially helpful.

Hey BlackViper, where are the links to the reviews you mentioned?

Well, of course now that I go back and look and I can't find them, but here's a few links courtesy of Google. Everything I read was pretty positive though.

Google (http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=nikon+m-223+review&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=C5yig3lQ7TN6LKIL-jQOR2r2zDQAAAKoEBU_QiTSY&fp=98536c661bd0a28d)

triaged
07-12-2010, 5:36 PM
Hi Triaged,

I am new to scopes and like the OP was curious about the M-223. Specifically the version you ruled out. The 1-4 with the Point Blank Reticle. Being 3MOA, did you get a sense that he 3MOA dot stayed the same relative size at every zoom level. It's 3MOA at 1x, but how big does it appear to be at 4x zoom? I'm sorry if this sounds like the ultimate rookie question.

Thanks for any info you may have.Normally reticle size doesn't change (with respect to the scope) and is measured at max zoom. So if the dot is 3MOA at 4x it would be 12MOA at 1x. If I'm shooting at a 4" clay pidgin at 150yds you wouldn't even be able to see it at 4x. At 1x it would cover up the pidgin at just 30yds.

See this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telescopic_sight#Reticle_focal_plane

Monticore
07-13-2010, 8:18 AM
I definitely need to see one of these in person.

My goal has been either an EO or Aimpoint, with FTS magnifier.
At $800 to $1,000 for the above combo, the 1-4x point blank scope with a good quick release mount (in case I broke the scope and had to yank the scope off to fip up my BUIS) would be somewhere between $450 to $500.

GasPiston
08-29-2010, 9:20 PM
I purchased the 1-4X version of the Nikon M-223 Scope for one reasons:

1) I thought it was a great buy. I paid under 250 dollars for it delivered to my home. The glass quality is really good. I was suprised at how bright the scope is.

Monticore
08-29-2010, 10:22 PM
I purchased the 1-4X version of the Nikon M-223 Scope for one reasons:

1) I thought it was a great buy. I paid under 250 dollars for it delivered to my home. The glass quality is really good. I was suprised at how bright the scope is.

Please tell me you live in the South Bay and that you frequent Los Altos Rod & Gun!

wash
08-30-2010, 4:46 PM
Has anyone tried the M223 scope mount?

I need reviews!

killshot44
09-02-2010, 12:33 AM
I was suprised at how bright the scope is.

Nikon glass is quite clear and bright...

Spaceghost
09-02-2010, 4:12 PM
I recall Wes from tenpercent getting one and loving it.

Has anyone tried the M223 scope mount?

I need reviews!

CoyoteHunter555
09-02-2010, 7:41 PM
Nikon is good for their prices. I have delt with Nikon plenty and like them, though never this model. I would say it is definitely worth a try.

Hop Sing
09-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Checked it out and compared it to the Leupold Mark AR (1.5x4x40mm). Glass on the Nikon was ok, but made in the Phillipines. The Leupold is made in the USA and only $30 more.

alloutprodux
11-09-2010, 7:56 AM
just bought the m223 1-4x,
& like one of the above guys said,
very happy with the glass for the price.
also got the m223 mount, & only gripe (besides it not being qr)
is that it doesnt allow enough clearance for my magpul rear buis....