PDA

View Full Version : Bcg

islanderman7
04-11-2006, 6:36 PM
I just want to know how I stand to the CA law if I were to have a M16 BCG?

ohsmily
04-11-2006, 6:50 PM
I just want to know how I stand to the CA law if I were to have a M16 BCG?

Its fine. I like the m16 carrier better anyway. It is the fire control components that are regulated by the ATF. The bolt carrier group is fine to have.

socal57chevy
04-11-2006, 8:07 PM
That's good to know. I was under the impression that m-16 carriers were NOT ok due to the design of the lower rear portion of the carrier. If you have an m-16 carrier and "forget" to install the disconnector it will (or can) "slam-fire" until you let off the trigger or the mag is empty. It will, however require "cocking" before it will fire again.

socal57chevy
04-11-2006, 8:30 PM
Maybe we should look at this a little closer. I'll do a search here now, cuz I'm sure it's been poured over before.

A Bushmaster Statement Regarding Machinegun PARTS

BATF's position is that if your AR15 type rifle contains even one M16 component, it is a Machine Gun. If you own an AR15 from any manufacturer, check to make sure there are no M16 components in its assembly. If there are, remove them immediately; machine them to AR configuration or have them replaced and destroy the M16 components. Refer to the illustrations below to determine if you have M16 components in your assemblies. If you have any questions about your parts, give us a call and we'll be glad to supply you with the legally acceptable parts.

This came from Bushy's website.http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/individual_parts_for_lower_receivers.asp

ohsmily
04-11-2006, 8:33 PM
Maybe we should look at this a little closer. I'll do a search here now, cuz I'm sure it's been poured over before.

BATF's position is that if your AR15 type rifle contains even one M16 component, it is a Machine Gun. If you own an AR15 from any manufacturer, check to make sure there are no M16 components in its assembly. If there are, remove them immediately; machine them to AR configuration or have them replaced and destroy the M16 components. Refer to the illustrations below to determine if you have M16 components in your assemblies. If you have any questions about your parts, give us a call and we'll be glad to supply you with the legally acceptable parts.

This came from Bushy's website.http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/individual_parts_for_lower_receivers.asp

Find that on the BATF's website. Bushmaster is erring on the side of caution.

socal57chevy
04-11-2006, 8:43 PM
Find that on the BATF's website. Bushmaster is erring on the side of caution.

It sure seems that way.
I wonder how many LEOs can tell the difference anyway. You'd have to clean your rifle at the ATF field office to get caught anyway.

I know the slam-fire situation is true, though. Make sure the fire control group conform (nom16 stuff) and the disconnector is properly installed.

socal57chevy
04-11-2006, 8:44 PM
nice edit!

ohsmily
04-11-2006, 8:46 PM
After brief research, it seems that whatever benefit an m16 carrier adds to your rifle, it might not be worth skirting the edge of the law. The ATF definition is that any part that meets the following makes it subject to registration:

# Any combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting weapons into machineguns;
# Any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for converting a weapon into a machinegun;
# Any combination of parts from which machineguns can be assembled if the parts are in the possession or under the control of a person

However, the bolt carrier group is NOT a registered item, so to me, it seems like a bit of a gray area. I PERSONALLY believe that you are not violating any law by putting one in your rifle, but why risk it? Also, PERSONALLY, I would not hesitate to put an m16 carrier in my rifle; but, I want to error on the safe side when giving advice to others.

socal57chevy
04-11-2006, 8:47 PM
It seems that SOG agrees with Bushy.
http://www.sogarmory.com/ProductDetails1.aspx?productID=101785

This link shows the parts in case somebody wants to see what we're talking about.
http://www.ar15.com/content/legal/AR15-M16Parts/

ohsmily
04-11-2006, 8:52 PM
I saw that AR15.com faq also. However, after a search of the archives, it seems agreed upon that an M16 carrier in an AR-15 is not illegal, but is NOT necessary and might subject you to scrutiny if ever caught.

Boarding-Team-Leader
04-11-2006, 8:53 PM
[QUOTE=ohsmily]After brief research, it has seems that whatever benefit an m16 carrier adds to your rifle,

:D :D :D :D

ohsmily
04-11-2006, 8:56 PM
[QUOTE=ohsmily]After brief research, it has seems that whatever benefit an m16 carrier adds to your rifle,

:D :D :D :D

NOOOOO!!!!! you GOT ME!!! That is the result of a hasty edit without re-reading. NO, I AM RUINED!!! (I am going to fix it anyway though).

socal57chevy
04-11-2006, 8:59 PM
I copied this from another forum as well. This guy comes across as an ATF officer.
1.IMPORTANT INFORMATION CONCERNING
AR-15 TYPE RIFLES

ATF has encountered various AR-15 type assault rifles such as those manufactured by Colt, E.A. Company, SGW, Sendra and others, which have been assembled with fire control components designed for use in M16 machineguns. The vast majority of these rifles which have been assembled with an M16 bolt carrier, hammer, trigger, disconnector and selector will fire automatically merely by manipulation of the selector or removal of the disconnector. Many of these rifles using less than the five M16 parts listed above also will shoot automatically by manipulation of the selector or removal of the disconnector.

Any weapon which shoots automatically, more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger, is a machinegun as defined in 26 U.S.C. 5845(b), the National Firearms Act (NFA). In addition, the definition of a machinegun also includes any combination of parts from which a machinegun may be assembled, if such parts are in possession or under the control of a person. An AR-15 type assault rifle which fires more than one shot by a single function of the trigger is a machinegun under the NFA. Any machinegun is subject to the NFA and the possession of an unregistered machinegun could subject the possessor to criminal prosecution.

Additionally, these rifles could pose a safety hazard in that they may fire automatically without the user being aware that the weapon will fire more than one shot with a single pull of the trigger.
In order to avoid violations of the NFA, M16 hammers, triggers, disconnectors, selectors and bolt carriers must not be used in assembly of AR-15 type semiautomatic rifles, unless the M16 parts have been modified to AR-15 Model SP1 configuration. Any AR-15 type rifles which have been assembled with M16 internal components should have those parts removed and replaced with AR-15 Model SP1 type parts which are available commercially. The M16 components also may be modified to AR-15 Model SP1 configuration.

It is important to note that any modification of the M16 parts should be attempted by fully qualified personnel only.
Should you have any questions concerning AR-15 type rifles with M16 parts, please contact your nearest ATF Criminal Enforcement Office. Our telephone numbers are listed in the "United States Government" section of your telephone directory under the "United States Treasury Department."

http://www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/m16/m16.pl?noframes;read=3831

Boarding-Team-Leader
04-11-2006, 9:04 PM
[QUOTE=Boarding-Team-Leader]

NOOOOO!!!!! you GOT ME!!! That is the result of a hasty edit without re-reading. NO, I AM RUINED!!! (I am going to fix it anyway though).

Had to do it...
Just this one time. I promise. ;)

After all, "People in glass houses" etc.