PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to

mow
04-11-2006, 4:50 PM
get into Competition shooting.

Right now I have a mini 14, a .22lr, and a mossy 500. Later this week I should have my first AR build completed, and 2 weeks ago I sent my paperwork in for my CC&R. Once I receive the CC&R I plan on purchasing my first Garand.

Until that occurs (Garand) I think pretty much all there will be for me is trap and skeet competition, which I believe one is coming up at the Livermore Range.

Is there any competition shooting in the bay area where I could use my soon to be assembled ar or mr 22lr?

I would add the mini to that but that thing isn't very accurate, it is an old stock 180 series, I hit the paper with it I just don't think it is comp material.

NRAhighpowershooter
04-12-2006, 3:53 PM
There is PLEANTY of competitions in the bay area...sunnyvale (i think) has smallbore silhoutte. Chabot, Richmond and San Jose has NRA High Power matches. Chabot also has 3 gun matches. I'm sure others will chime in here and give a lot more detailed list.

Matt-man
04-12-2006, 7:01 PM
Go up to Metcalf on the first Saturday of next month and shoot with the San Jose Zouaves. (http://www.zouaves.org/) You can use one of the club's Garands until you get your own or something else suitable. You will also qualify to get Garands from the CMP (no FFL needed).

You could probably also shoot your AR, but depending on how you built the rifle it might not be the best for the type of shooting we do.

mow
04-13-2006, 5:17 PM
There is PLEANTY of competitions in the bay area...sunnyvale (i think) has smallbore silhoutte. Chabot, Richmond and San Jose has NRA High Power matches. Chabot also has 3 gun matches. I'm sure others will chime in here and give a lot more detailed list.

What type of firearms are used in the smallbore sillhouette?
What type of firearms are used in 3 gun ... pistol, shotty and a .223?

I would like to find a place to read about the procedures and nomeanclature so I don;t show up all green and blushing:p ANy suggestions?

Go up to Metcalf on the first Saturday of next month and shoot with the San Jose Zouaves. (http://www.zouaves.org/) You can use one of the club's Garands until you get your own or something else suitable. You will also qualify to get Garands from the CMP (no FFL needed).

You could probably also shoot your AR, but depending on how you built the rifle it might not be the best for the type of shooting we do.

I have one lower built for detachable mag use, and another fixed mag use .... I am assuming that the detachable lower config would be best suited for the matches you guys are involved in?

Matt-man
04-13-2006, 5:45 PM
I have one lower built for detachable mag use, and another fixed mag use .... I am assuming that the detachable lower config would be best suited for the matches you guys are involved in?

Well, yes, but I was referring more to the type of upper you have. I built a rifle with a 24" heavy barrel and a scope, and it's not what I'd want for a match rifle. A standard A2 configuration is good to start with.

We've been making allowances for the California-legal ARs so that they can compete too, so the detachable mag isn't a must-have.