View Full Version : Is there a PTR-91 letter? FFL needs convincing

TonyNorCal
04-11-2006, 4:13 PM
I know a letter isn't necessary...but does one exist? FFL wants. Thanks

Charliegone
04-11-2006, 4:14 PM
I know a letter isn't necessary...but does one exist? FFL wants. Thanks

Yup. I have one.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=26203&page=2&highlight=ptr-91+letter

Says it legal as long as it has no evil features OR with a fixed magazine.:D

TonyNorCal
04-11-2006, 4:16 PM
Yup. I have one.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=26203&page=2&highlight=ptr-91+letter

Thanks Charlie!

grammaton76
04-11-2006, 4:20 PM
I was talking to Chris at Bright Spot Pawn yesterday - he says it's really easy to fix the mag on those; you could just use a few spacing washers. I do believe I'd go gripless, though.

The trigger housing and such is all one assembly, but Chris says you can buy a used/beaten-up one for $20 without an FCG. Then you can hacksaw off that grip, and you've got yourself a drop-mag PTR-91.

Charliegone
04-11-2006, 4:30 PM
I was talking to Chris at Bright Spot Pawn yesterday - he says it's really easy to fix the mag on those; you could just use a few spacing washers. I do believe I'd go gripless, though.

The trigger housing and such is all one assembly, but Chris says you can buy a used/beaten-up one for $20 without an FCG. Then you can hacksaw off that grip, and you've got yourself a drop-mag PTR-91.

Yeah, it is really easy to fix the mag on them. You could also do that the fcg, but since I have a navy one (you know the plastic one)...I really don't want to do that.:D Besides I can load it through the ejection port. Its really not that bad.

cseabass
04-11-2006, 6:08 PM
hey tony, if your ffl well actually stock them, or at least get them on order. let us know. i would lover to build one.

6172crew
04-11-2006, 6:17 PM
My FFL has a bunch on order, he just does the receivers though.

shopkeep
04-11-2006, 6:25 PM
I gotta admit I'm surprised someone needs a letter for the PTR-91. Last I heard the PTR-91 and G-3 clones were old news like the CaliFAL. I'd be interested in learning more but my budget is pretty played out. Bushmaster, Armalite, and Stag Arms cleaned me out already :)!

PIRATE14
04-11-2006, 6:30 PM
I gotta admit I'm surprised someone needs a letter for the PTR-91. Last I heard the PTR-91 and G-3 clones were old news like the CaliFAL. I'd be interested in learning more but my budget is pretty played out. Bushmaster, Armalite, and Stag Arms cleaned me out already :)!

Quality costs............

Justang
04-11-2006, 8:34 PM
Pirate, are you selling any HK clones? I think you'd have a huge market if you started selling MP5 receiver clones.

cseabass
04-11-2006, 8:52 PM
oh, i would jump all over an mp5 clone.... pounce...

morepoop4u
04-12-2006, 3:34 PM
Yup. I have one.

Thanx to your letters my ffl agreed to do the transfers:D

bwiese
04-12-2006, 3:38 PM
Don't expect any new letters of legality from DOJ.

When Ben C. was talking to Alison Merrilees, apparently she wasn't too happy her letter triggered "all this" and would have 2nd thoughts about doing it again.

Any new requests related to off-list lowers, etc. will likely be delayed/ignored unless from an attorney or an FFL. Even then, they might say "no" to perfectly legal conduct.

Jarhead4
04-12-2006, 3:47 PM
Any new requests related to off-list lowers, etc. will likely be delayed/ignored unless from an attorney or an FFL. Even then, they might say "no" to perfectly legal conduct.

Something sounds wrong about that. Aren't they working for the people? So shouldn't they give the people the service that they are asking for, especially if it is concerning a legality of an action.

Justang
04-12-2006, 4:50 PM
Something sounds wrong about that. Aren't they working for the people? So shouldn't they give the people the service that they are asking for, especially if it is concerning a legality of an action.

Exactly!!!

bwiese
04-12-2006, 5:00 PM

No way. Actually, responses to answers to questions are really an agency courtesy.

Go ask a local DA what is or isn't legal - other than a cursory generic answer, he'll more than likely say "get an attorney".

You get legal info from your own lawyer.

These folks work for "The People" - in, say, People v. Schmuck. They do not work for you individually on a consulting basis for personal legal advice.

Justang
04-12-2006, 5:19 PM
No way. Actually, responses to answers to questions are really an agency courtesy.

Go ask a local DA what is or isn't legal - other than a cursory generic answer, he'll more than likely say "get an attorney".

These folks work for "The People" - in, say, People v. Schmuck. They do not work for you individually on a consulting basis for personal legal advice.

But they are public servants. I am the public.

bwiese
04-12-2006, 5:46 PM
But they are public servants. I am the public.

Yes, they serve the Public by prosecuting you :)

Nothing says they have to serve you in other ways, like being your personal attorney.

Justang
04-12-2006, 5:56 PM
NM I was in a really bad mood. Went shooting and my spirits are lifted again.

Charliegone
04-12-2006, 6:10 PM
Thanx to your letters my ffl agreed to do the transfers:D

Cool. :D darn it...

olegk
04-12-2006, 9:52 PM

May be I missing something.. Excuse me for stupid questions.
Does California Rifle And Pistol Association and NRA have their own lawyers to make official inquiry? This is one of biggest issues in the CA gun word and none legal actions taken to clarify it from pro-gun organizations?
Does California DOJ establishes policies for local DOJ's? It means if you break the law the District Attorney decide if they want you to be charged with a crime? It sounds that law can be twisted ether way based on District Attorney political agenda..

norcalcollector
01-18-2007, 10:51 AM
I tried to follow the link to this letter and it didnt work for me. is there a new link? I would appriciate any help.

ARmed
01-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Same here - says contact Administrator

Kestryll
01-18-2007, 11:12 AM
I received your email norcalcollector but I'm answering it here since others are asking as well.
Here is a link to the thread with the letter, Charliegone has a link and Hoffmang has a version as well in the thread.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=39782&highlight=ptr-91+letter

hoffmang
01-18-2007, 1:34 PM
Here is a direct link to a PDF of the letter:

http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/Carlos_Lopez-PTR-91.pdf

-Gene

Charliegone
01-18-2007, 4:48 PM
Bump
for those that are still asking.:D

ETD1010
01-20-2007, 12:06 AM
For Those near Ventura, I have an FFL dealer who'd be willing to transfer/sell PT-91 stripped recievers on the condition that I help organize those who are intersted (so he doesn't get flooded with emails, etc, etc). PM me if you are interested and live nearby.