PDA

View Full Version : I need a primer on PTR and G3 rifles, thanks

TonyNorCal
04-11-2006, 9:56 AM
I've focused my offlist buying on ARs, AKs, and Saigas:p

So, someone please give me the down and dirty on PTR-91s and similar rifles. Here are my questions, but espouse any additional knowledge you have.

1.) What is a PTR-91? Is it related to a FAL? Is it related to a G3?

2.) From the photos it looks as though it cannot be loaded from the top (like a FAL). How do you guys load these?
- through the ejection port?
- does it break open?

3.) Is it feasible (controllable) to run with no pistol grip?

4.) Are the currently available ones made only by JLD? Does anyone sell complete rifles at a reasonable cost?

5.) How tough are they to assemble?

Thanks

CACitUP
04-11-2006, 10:02 AM
http://www.hkweaponsystems.com/

fun2none
04-11-2006, 10:40 AM

PTR-91 is a domestically produced HK91 clone which is related to the G3. It is not even anywhere close to a FAL. Delayed-blowback versus gas operation, lack of bolt hold-open catch, free-floating barrel, heavy trigger, etc.

2.) From the photos it looks as though it cannot be loaded from the top (like a FAL). How do you guys load these?

Other members built their SB23 compliant rifles using fixed magazine, and reported that it can be loaded thought the port. Do a search.

- does it break open?

No. The bolt carrier spring guide runs directly on top of magazine. It cannot be loaded from the top. You might get away with loading a fixed 10-round mag from the bottom if you had a quick release floor plate.

"Feasible" is a very subjective term. It's difficult to answer without having tried it.

4.) Are the currently available ones made only by JLD? Does anyone sell complete rifles at a reasonable cost?

The PTR-91 is made by JLD. What is a reasonable cost ?

Based on the videos and brief research, it is not a job for amateurs. You'll need a press and welding skills. The full-auto trigger pack from the G3 parts kit must be modified to fit a semi-auto receiver. It can be, and has been, done.

SI-guru
04-11-2006, 12:35 PM
- does it break open?

No. The bolt carrier spring guide runs directly on top of magazine. It cannot be loaded from the top. You might get away with loading a fixed 10-round mag from the bottom if you had a quick release floor plate.

If you pop the floor plate, spring and follower out. Isn't that detechable ammo feeding device by themselves ?

fun2none
04-11-2006, 1:49 PM
I interpret the term "ammunition feeding device" as the entire device, not the individual parts that comprise such a device. I could be wrong.

Charliegone
04-11-2006, 4:46 PM
So, someone please give me the down and dirty on PTR-91s and similar rifles. Here are my questions, but espouse any additional knowledge you have.

Like fun said, G3 hk-91 type. Delayed-roller locking blowback(the mp5 and mostly all hks with the execption of the newer ones are this way.) Lots of recoil, but can be fixed with a better buffer (like those on the psg.)

- does it break open?
A bullet fits through the ejection port and since the bolt carrier can be held back with the cocking handle pulled back on the recess in the cocking tube, it will stay, just watch that you don't push that cocking handle down or your fingers will feel the pain.:D

I would suggest with a pistol grip. It seems very difficult to shoot without it.

JLD makes them...will run about 250 to 350 for receiver, NO trunion installed is better.
Century has some g3 as well as some CETME one's, but I wouldn't suggest them..since its Century.
There is also an aluminum one called the FA-91 which was made by FAC. I hear there were some problems with them, but I cannot really tell you about quality, but they are fugly as hell.:D
Also Spechul Weapons has some g3's but they discontinued it. Their might be some good ones, but there are bad ones as well.
You definetly will be required to weld. Welding is needed at the trunion and possibly at the sight if you get a new barrel. Does require some skill, but pretty much thats the only hard part. I would recommend getting the barrel pressing and welding be done by a competent gunsmith. Trigger stuff is pretty easily done, I did it.:D

morepoop4u
04-11-2006, 11:45 PM
any diy tutorials:D

Ford8N
04-12-2006, 5:11 AM
AGI has a DVD. They spend a lot of time on building the aluminum abortion receiver. The G3 is more work to build, a heck of a lot more, than the FAL/AR/AK. But in watching the video, I can see how it was designed to be a throw away gun.

bootcamp
04-12-2006, 7:34 AM
Wouldn't it be more worthwhile to just buy it and sit on it and hope they list the PTR91? Or is the PTR91 not applicable to the kasler list?

Ford8N
04-12-2006, 9:07 AM
Just get one, if for nothing else, as insurance against the possibility of a Federal ban when Hillary/Democrats regain power. There only about three bones for the receiver.

And the PTR is the same as a FAL. But sources close to Sacramento hear that the rulers are "looking" at these types of rifles. Get one before the panic.